Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts close to St Anton for 4 males

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have a work trip in Feb to St Anton Sunday - Weds but we want to move elsewhere on the Weds and stay till the Sunday.

Ideal requirements are as follows

Good mix of slopes. All are intermediate or advanced skiers
Good Apres
Bonus if ski in / out
Accommodation type isn’t an issue
Not more than an hour from St Anton or Innsbruck( we can get on the work transfer back to Innsbruck before travelling out)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy: Ischgl
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hard to beat the apres but finding part-week accomodation would be your only issue in Ischgl.

You could stay down the valley (much cheaper and more flexible on part weeks) and either take turns driving/use the bus/book taxis home (bus stops c. 7/7:30pm, fine for just apres but no use if you want to stick around for food).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Dan,

I was looking at doing a long weekend in Innsbruck, and asked for some suggestions from people, might be worth reading through the thread for ideas from people.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139677&highlight=
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah we looked at Innsbruck but it’s too limited in immediate skiing and Apres(some of the lads are ex rugby).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serfaus / Fiss might suit the skiing specification but the apres is probably a bit quiet, more family orientated. Ischgl as has been noted though accommodation might be a problem unless you have the budget to pay for one of the spa hotels. Further away Hochzillertal or the one of the other resorts in the Zillertal (easy to get to by train from St Anton). Perhaps, Sölden / Obergurgl good for apres (in Sölden) though the skiing is rather fragmented.

Not sure why you would want to move on from the Arlberg, the skiing is the best and the biggest and for apres it is one of, if not the, best, most other places (besides maybe Ischgl) will seem a step down. Given that it will be high season booking part weeks in advance is going to be tricky / expensive. If you have a car day trips are possible eg Ischgl, Klosterle (same lift pass possible by bus) and slightly further afield Montafon
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DanFuller wrote:
Yeah we looked at Innsbruck but it’s too limited in immediate skiing and Apres(some of the lads are ex rugby).

Possibly too quiet to stay there, but lots of suggestions from people on there for resorts nearby you could visit.

If you went back to Innsbruck with the work transfer, getting to Mayrhofen wouldn't be too difficult I wouldn't have thought?

I haven't actually been to the area, but as mentioned Ischgl isn't far, and is well known for apres, or Soelden wouldn't be too far either, not sure what the apres is like there?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We looked at Mayrhofen but the links up and down the mountain put some of the party off.

We have stayed in St Anton for the last 5 years running so wanted a break from it and not an extended stay after the other work party had left.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl has lots to keep the advanced skier happy and the apres is legendary. I preferred it to St Anton but that was before the Lech link.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DanFuller, That has always put me off Mayrhofen too. However Hochzillertal, for which the main village is Kaltenbach, seems better, I only spotted it earlier this year and hope to visit at some point this season. It is near the end of the Zillertal so either the Zillertalbahn or taxi from Jenbach (trains from St Anton). Not quite the size of the Arlberg but should be plenty for a change of scenery. https://www.hochzillertal.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@DanFuller, That has always put me off Mayrhofen too. However Hochzillertal, for which the main village is Kaltenbach, seems better, I only spotted it earlier this year and hope to visit at some point this season. It is near the end of the Zillertal so either the Zillertalbahn or taxi from Jenbach (trains from St Anton). Not quite the size of the Arlberg but should be plenty for a change of scenery. https://www.hochzillertal.com/

Tell me more of this wondrous place.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seemed to have a strip club next to the schwimbad when I drove past ( to be fair that may have been Fugen)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Seemed to have a strip club next to the schwimbad when I drove past ( to be fair that may have been Fugen)

From my experience of the one in StAnton the bar isn’t very high. 😂
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DanFuller, ok so if you don't want to stay in St Anton after 5 years, Ishgl is the answer IMHO
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DanFuller, I have not been yet so cant comment on the quality of apres, it might just be a couple of hotel bars. I have skied in many of the places around the Tirol and western Salzburgerland so was a bit surprised I had not come across it before as it seems a reasonable size. I must have driven through or been on the train a good number of times though I guess that has been more in summer than winter. Hopefully I will get a chance to visit sometime over the next few months. You might want to ask on the Zillertal thread. Ischgl probably is the better option though.
ski holidays
I’d think again re Mayrhofen. If you look at the piste map you will see that there are a number of options to ski down the mountain and gondola back up (with no queues) in the day without the need to go down to Mayerhofen itself. So enough skiing ops in the day.
And at least last time I was there the top of the Penkenbahn was party central with 3 Apres bars. The gondola decanted way after advertised closing time. To the apres options at the bottom. Having said that the new Penkenbahn might be a double edged sword in that revellers are now not “stuck” at the top Twisted Evil but the potential morning queues significantly diminished Very Happy .Again, though, because this only had to be put up with once in the day it was for me OK given the other advantages.
But someone who has been post new Penkenbahn might see this and provide a more up to date perspective.
ski holidays
Ischgl, meets all the OP's criteria.....but i'd stay put in St A wink
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

Agree. Skiing is ultimately skiing and not having the hassle of moving stuff plus the difficulty of renting somewhere for a part week that is both close to slopes and decent nightlife would all be a strong win for staying put.
latest report
Gotta be Ischgl or Sölden.

Just be aware in Ischgl, if you’re apres-ing straight through into the evening, they have a stupid no ski boots in town after 8pm rule.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

Agree. Skiing is ultimately skiing and not having the hassle of moving stuff plus the difficulty of renting somewhere for a part week that is both close to slopes and decent nightlife would all be a strong win for staying put.

We have a part week high end chalet booking with work so in any case we would need to move accommodation (and sourcing any, even in ST A is proving troublesome).
ski holidays
@DanFuller, Why not see what they are doing with the high end chalet for the rest of the week, unless they've got some other high-rollers dropping midweek it'll sit empty or become a squat/ party house for the chalet hosts I suggest...... a bung to the right people might sort you out, they and you might get a win-win.... wink
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Just be aware in Ischgl, if you’re apres-ing straight through into the evening, they have a stupid no ski boots in town after 8pm rule.

True but not an issue if you're staying in town as it's not that big so usually easy to pop back and change either pre apres or in the post apreas/pre dinner lull around 7pm. If you're staying out of time you can either do a car park change if driving or hire a locker under the Silvrettabahn bottom station if planning a late taxi.
snow report
@DanFuller, Try this place, it isnt the Ritz but at 50€ pppn b&b its a clean bed for the night 100m from town centre and often does split weeks if you leave nearer the time. Not sure about booking well in advance but maybe like most places they'll wait for full week take-up:-

http://haus-gamberg-sankt-anton-am-arlberg.stantonamarlberghotels.com/en/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy