Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys - Cheap accommodation for a few days?

Poster: A snowHead
I've never been to the 3 Valleys area and I'm thinking about 3 or 4 nights in the area this winter. Looking at booking.com all the accommodation seems really expensive (€200+ per night).
Is there anywhere decent people can recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will obviously depend on when you go and what quality of accommodation you are looking for. As a general rule, Brides les Bains and Les Menuires are the cheapest places to stay.

There is also a 2 star B&B in the centre of Meribel which does Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday at €120/night: http://www.hoteldoron.com/rooms-rates/ Great location but beware of the music from the bar until 1am.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's just about the largest lift-linked ski area in the world and Val Thorens is the highest resort in Europe, so it's never going to be cheap.

Most accommodation in the lift-linked resorts is going to be for Sat-Sat bookings only during the main part of the season, so you're probably left with a few pricier hotels who don't mind doing flexible short-term stays.

You'll probably have to commute a bit if you want cheaper or pay the going rate in resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bride les Bains or Orelle

You should find accomodation around 60 quid a night.

Both have lifts up to Val Thorens.

I liked Orelle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raceplate wrote:
Will obviously depend on when you go and what quality of accommodation you are looking for. As a general rule, Brides les Bains and Les Menuires are the cheapest places to stay.

There is also a 2 star B&B in the centre of Meribel which does Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday at €120/night: http://www.hoteldoron.com/rooms-rates/ Great location but beware of the music from the bar until 1am.

Thanks! Plenty of places in Brides les Bains and Les Menuires on Booking actually, are those towns connected via lifts?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mrvinegar, a plan b would be to try Airbnb, so for example if you search on Airbnb in the Bozel area (a bus ride down/up from Courchevel) you'll find a couple of interesting places, at a fraction of some of the prices above. Looks like a few below Orelle too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mrvinegar wrote:
Thanks! Plenty of places in Brides les Bains and Les Menuires on Booking actually, are those towns connected via lifts?

From Brides, you need to take the Olympe gondola into the centre of Meribel each day and also return on it. It's a 25 minute ride and beware that it closes at around 5pm. There is a free ski bus goes around Brides to take people to/from the gondola.

If LM is in your budget, I'd go there. It's in the heart of the lift system with easy access to higher or lower places depending on the weather. Bit of a sun trap but that means it can be very good early season. The highest part, La Masse, often has the best snow anywhere in a poor snow year.

Both towns are more French than other areas of the 3V's so not much of an apres scene. You can drink at The Folie Douce in Val Thorens though and it's one lift home to LM (or none if you take the terminally dull Boulevard).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

@mrvinegar, Dont rule out suggestions for those who arent decent, they may have ideas too. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you were staying a full week you'd have a lot of choice of inexpensive but good chalet operators like Snow Retreat. http://www.snowretreat.co.uk/ If your 3 or 4 days doesn't straddle a weekend you may still be better off with that approach as they can be very good value even if you don't stay the full week.

Some of the chalet operators will do short breaks and flexible stays. One that I know of (and have stayed with in Meribel Les Allues) is Ski Hame: https://www.skihame.co.uk/holidays/short_break_flexible_let.htm

La Tania is a great base for exploring the three valleys, inexpensive, and relatively easy to get to.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mrvinegar, this place in LM is widely regarded as the best value decent hotel anywhere in the 3V's and has half board single rooms for under €140 in the quieter parts of the season: http://www.hotel-ours-blanc.com/en/tarifs.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.interhome.co.uk

myself and a group of us are doing exactly what you intend staying friday to tuesday, booked on interhome with no issue. - wanted to go Val T but prices were too high - we use the flat as pretty much just an area to shower and sleep, very little time spent in there so no point paying loads for fancy accommodation, so instead we've gone for Les Menuires as previously suggested. fantastic value, good lift connections. not supposed to be great for apres, but for a short trip, you only really need a late bar, and a few restaurants which it apparently has!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And to get cheaper accommodation, obviously, you'll need to avoid school holidays including the 4 week French February/March break.

End of January is a good compromise between cost of accommodation and likelihood of good snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@mrvinegar, Dont rule out suggestions for those who arent decent, they may have ideas too. wink

Ha! What I meant to say was, "Is there anywhere "decent" that people can recommend"

Some great info here..thank you again

Not knowing the area well, what towns have the best restaurants / nightlife ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mrvinegar, I know, just messing - try Brides les Bain, i'd rather be there and up early onto the bubble than staying in LM, nicer restaurants and stuff going on, LM ime is a soul-less place with little or no apres and awful architecture. Central it may be but pretty it is not.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mrvinegar wrote:
Not knowing the area well, what towns have the best restaurants / nightlife ?

Most nightlife - Meribel. Band on every night. Courchevel 1650, La Tania and Val Thorens have options.

Best restaurants - there are great restaurants all across the 3V's. Just depends on budget. Some swanky places in VT, La Ferme in Reberty (part of LM) is good value as is the afore-mentioned L'Ours Blanc. Meribel has Chez Kiki, La Tania the Michelin starred Farcon, Le Praz has Azimut, some great places in St Martin too.
ski holidays
Never understand why people give LM such a hard time. If you stay in the higher area, Reberty, there are several nice places and it's nothing like the lower areas with the cheap apartments.
snow report
I have booked short stays in apartments through Interhome in the past, the standard final cleaning cost seemed a bit high the last time I did a search.

Have stayed in Brides-les-Bains, Moutiers and La Lechere and driven up to various bits of the 3V too.
snow conditions
Reberty is great for getting on to the slopes but I agree that Les Menuires is pretty horrendous for apres. We arrived at 8pm on a Saturday and found it a real struggle to get food - La ferme was full and the pizza place across the road was closing. The less said about the tex mex in the centre the better!!
ski holidays
mrvinegar wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

Have a look at the piste map to see what lifts go where: https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/pistemaps.htm
(I couldn't find a piste map on the 3 Valleys website that was usable on my mobile.)
snow report
I was going to suggest Hotel Telemark in La Tania, operated by Family Friendly Skiing but can't find the link so not sure if they operate it anymore
snow conditions
Telemark's gone. Too many issues with meeting disabled access legislation apparently.
latest report
Has anyone got any experience or reviews on Ski Amis? over Snow Retreat as a chalet operator? Looking at both options and also Mountain Heaven, Ski Beat etc.

Appreciate value is relative, and Snow Retreat looks great value, but Ski Amis has some lovely looking places (and sauna/hot tub - am I being a nob thinking they could be lush with a glass of wine after a long day)
snow conditions
Property prices have gone sky high in Val Thorens over the last year in particular. Rental prices are following.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Never understand why people give LM such a hard time. If you stay in the higher area, Reberty, there are several nice places and it's nothing like the lower areas with the cheap apartments.

Quite. Stayed there before Xmas a few years ago and was most impressed, much nicer than I had been expecting. I quite like Brides, but would go for LM given a choice, just to save on the hassle of travelling each day.
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Telemark's gone. Too many issues with meeting disabled access legislation apparently.

Shame, stopped there for a weekend once, friendly staff and a lively bar. Accommodation was a little basic but for what I paid I would call it very good value.
snow report
@Lucywuk, stayed in a Ski Amis chalet in La Tania last March. Very pleased with service, location, value.

We made a late booking in one of their more basic chalets. Although I thought bedrooms were a bit cramped, they were clean, warm and adequate. Staff were excellent and food very good.
snowHead
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@Lucywuk, stayed in a Ski Amis chalet in La Tania last March. Very pleased with service, location, value.

We made a late booking in one of their more basic chalets. Although I thought bedrooms were a bit cramped, they were clean, warm and adequate. Staff were excellent and food very good.
snowHead

Thanks. We are looking at Christina I think. Standard chalet, and One of the posher ones. Were you in Christina?
ski holidays
I've stayed with both Ski Amis (in Reberty) and Snow Retreat (in La Tania). I've stayed with Snow Retreat more times than I can count. The week with Ski Amis was fine - PeakyB's description matches mine. I booked very last minute so great value, and I would use them again but I still prefer Snow Retreat. Although they don't have hot tubs I don't miss them. Their chalets are I think more spacious than the Ski Amis one I stayed in. Their staff are consistently brilliant. I don't understand how they do what they do for the price they charge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy