Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving through the night to the Alps - advice for first timer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mouth, what was the total cost - door to door. Including crossing, petrol, tolls and parking, but excluding wear and tear.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro,

For a recent trip to Engelberg from the SE, I think tolls, petrol and Vignette was a good bit less than £200. I filled the car up 3 times but didn't have to pay for the crossing and didn't have a parking charge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, Total including train I reckon at just over £300 although petrol may bring this up a tad - haven't got this exact figure to hand
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I was young and stupid I drove throught the night to South of France a couple of time in a two-car convoy to cover a 750 miles journey starting from Calais . It was hard work and a big suffering for the kids.

Night time driving is at a speed not radically dissimilar to day time driving and that is pretty boring. We generally needed a passenger to be awake to talk to the driver constantly for safety reason. The roads were clear until after 7am. Petrol wasn't a problem on French tolled motorways.

I don't think we gained much by driving through the night because all of us would be shattered and spent the first day on arrival just resting/sleeping. That is why I think we were stupid.

Nowaday I still do possibly 600 miles in the first day except we would be setting off from Amsterdam, starting at 9:30-10am after a good night sleep on the ferry and with only two of us onboard. As driving through the day time the driver has at least an opportunity to admire the scenery. Our strategy is to pick somewhere near to spend skiing for a few days and then change camp by going further to the final destination after the first stop.

In one year we stopped first at Interlaken to ski Grindelward/Murren/First before going to Chamonix. Another year we went to Swiss side Porte Du Soleil before changing to Tarentaise. When we skied the Austria Ski Welt we spent the first week in Zell am See/Kaprun/Saalabach/Hhinterglemm. This year we picked Garmisch Partenkirchen to ski the first 2 days before heading for St Anton and then Italian Dolomiti.

To stop earlier and ski the first few days before going deeper to the final destination is a more civilised alternative. It works for us because we can visit more resorts and still enjoy each day including the first 600 miles because we are not pushed with time.

To catch the return ferry we have to spend two days driving back and always pick a new German city to visit for the overnight stop. If driving does not have to meet a scheduled time it can be relaxing, especially after say a week's skiing and a rest day is always welcome. There are always nice services and evening restaurants one can spend time with a partner in a foreign surrounding. With a two-day return we can go anywhere and choose any of the Western European skiing resorts to visit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorrocosts for the trip there and back are as follows, Tunnel; I pay between £49 and £79 each way ( I signed up to the frequent traveler deal) Petrol my very thirsty car uses 2.5 tanks each way at around £40.00 per tank £200 Tolls each way about £45.00.
Obviously the fuel is the highest cost, one year I went in a Diesel X trail and only used 1.5 tankfulls each way! Some saving down to the diesel some down to the lower top speed. In my current car I can do home to Kent and use a quarter tank but in a rush it's half a tank ! (or more )
If you stay overnight you need to cost in the hotel as well, which either is an extension of the holiday or a neccesary evil. The times achieved are about 13 hours there and 12 back. I have done better and worse times. But the major piece of advice is Only stop to fill up, or if you need to stop fill up as well! and change drivers at petrol stops or at a Peage. That reminds me the quickest way through a peage is with a credit card.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Still good value thou
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh. yes, and I got 36.7 mph doing 85mph most of the time...which is my best so far
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just in case no one's yet mentioned it....snowchains and practice getting them on and off before you go....hope you're not driving a rear wheel tank...I drove my BMW tourer to Avoriaz some years ago..an experience not to be repeated !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
er.... put the lights on ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy