Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Click and collect at French supermarkets?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used click and collect online ordering for French supermarkets, and did it work? Thinking of trying it en route to Les Arcs in January to save the hassle of traipsing around a supermarket.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've passed some kind of "click and collect" place on the motorway between Geneva Airport and Annecy. Might be worth a go. Certainly good to avoid that traipsing round.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chippie, last time I tried it, even though I had a French issued bank card, it wouldn't let me pay for the shopping with my card, as it wasn't registered to a French address. Things may have changed though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Super U in Bourg Saint Maurice has this option if you're heading for Les Arcs. The collection depot is just by the roundabout where the road heads up to Les Arcs too. Never tried it though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good to know @stevomcd,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We use the super u one fairly often - although with a fench registered card so not sure about the address issue - you can order online here: https://www.coursesu.com/home
It's reasonably straightforward.

E Leclerc in aime do the same click and collect system too but I've never tried it. https://www.leclercdrive.fr/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's the super u click and collect in bourg that
I'd seen. I'll give it a go in January and see if it works with a uk card.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chippie, let us know how you get on.

I was in the Super U at Bourg today and its still a work in progress although slightly better than my visit last month.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you get a Revolut card, not only do you get mid-market exchange rates with no fee; but you can alter your "address" at any time and to any country.

This has enabled me to order stuff on the internet whilst in the USA or France, and have it delivered to my apartment, or even hotel!

www.revolut.com
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point, @Poogle, I didn't know that Revolut did that.
One of the (many) fraud rules that a card issuer applies when authorising a transaction is to see if the delivery address is the same as the card address. I guess that this could be causing some card transactions to fail.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tomj, except click and collect isn't a delivery
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know, but the country of delivery (the click and collect) is different to the country where the card is issued.
These heuristics aren't rocket science, and there are many other factors taken into account, but they are applied.

Click & collect is an online not a card-present transaction, so there's an associated fraud risk. If I had stolen your card details (bought them from the internet) and managed to do a quick transaction before you'd noticed and cancelled your card, then I might use click and collect as a way of getting my hands on something valuable which I could use (or sell on, more likely). Particularly if I don't have to show the card to pick up the goods. Quite a few supermarkets sell high value small items (phones etc) and easily resold white goods that are ideal for click & collect.

From the perspective of the card issuer, if that transaction is 1) unusual or the first time you've used that merchant 2) in a different country then it looks pretty suspicious and so is more likely to be declined.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tomj, yes I get all that...but this is a french supermarket with a french issued bank card. it isn't rocket science to think that people might well want to buy something not actually in the country of residence. The key words here are "the country where the card is issued", i.e. France.

As it happens my austrian bank card is registered to my austrian address but my mailing address is in the UK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
different stores have different policies for that.
I've had stores disallow the transaction cos the 1st 6 digits of the card number (ie the issuing bank) didn't match the country of the address, but were perfectly fine with the registered address for the card and shipping address being the same. Both with Dutch and UK issued cards. Perfectly happy to accept Paypal though using exactly the same card. No idea if French supermarkets accept that. Doubt it.

Then the other issue is some use the issuing bank and others use the registered address to decided what currency to bill. So if I use my UK card with German address to book a UK rental car in GBP, they insist on converting at their rate in to € and then my card uses their rate and fee to convert to £.

Isn't European integration wonderful.

Not possible to click and collect and pay on collection?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy, no it is just a hand out of the shopping at the collection point. I'm going to try and set mine up again before we go at Christmas , so I will report back .
snow report
Hi Andy did you have any luck trying this out at xmas
snow report
@Hells Bells, sorry tagging you this time
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy