Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2018-2019

Poster: A snowHead
On Valentine's Day Kooky said that she'd spread her legs if I gave her wood.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Naughty Scarpa! Kooky's certainly giving head!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baum!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are arriving tomorrow - can you give an update of the on-Piste ski snow conditions?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, wall to wall sunshine and great snow. You'll have a fab time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wonderful thanks @queenie pretty please, been seeing the sunshine, on webcams and forecasts but wanted to check the snow quality.

Had one year in Bansko Feb halfterm with LOADS of slush and in one case a mini lake! The good news is my ski boots ARE waterproof. Last April in Val Thorens, despite good snow depths on the reports, the wind had stripped the snow off the top of runs leaving very hard / icy conditions. So a little paranoid. Thanks for the reassurance. Really excited.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, the forecast for the week ahead is dry and sunny. You have hit the jackpot there. The temperatures are slightly above freezing during the day, but cold overnight. This translates to smooth hard pistes in the morning, softening up around midday and slushy valley runs in the afternoon. However, there is so much snow here right now that you really have nothing to worry about. Just bring your sunscreen.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
all this is music to my ears.......be there in a little over 24 hours Happy You about for a slide or a cuppa next week @queenie pretty please ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timberwolf, I can do Friday!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cool, cool.........let's stay in touch Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Best guess please, folks. How will things hold up till mid March +? Might book a reasonable deal, never been to this region. Thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grizzler wrote:
Best guess please, folks. How will things hold up till mid March +? Might book a reasonable deal, never been to this region. Thanks.

Pending a sudden global warming "Black Swan" event there will be plenty of snow well into April. The Upper end of the Gastein Valley and Zauchensee will probably be best, but all areas are planning to stay open until Easter is done and dusted. The UK Tour Companies are certainly running right through Easter Week. If you have U-18s in your group with family members, they ski free after 16 Mar 19 too. PM me if your looking for self catered options week of 30 Mar 19.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@panaga52, it is under 15s that ski for free after 16th March. Under
18s ski for free all season if they are the third child..i.e. 1 parent buys 2 child lift passes and any child thereafter is free.

"From 16 March 2019 to the end of the season Easter Bunny has prepared a special package for families in Ski amadé. Children up to 15 years old ski for free, if at least one parent buys a 6-day ski pass. In addition in Ski amadé’s basket of Easter goodies: many attractive events and offers for families in all the Ski amadé resorts."
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx. I stand corrected, but then I have 3 children so always got a double bonus.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 19-02-19 8:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Grizzler, the weather is lovely right now. Sunny and clear. But it's not quite the heatwave that some are experiencing elsewhere in the Alps. Daytime temperatures maybe +5, nights are well below zero. The snow is plentiful and in great condition. The longer range forecast looks generally colder.
ski holidays
panaga52 wrote:
@holidayloverxx. I stand corrected, but then I have 3 children so always got a double bonus.

Yes they are both great deals
snow conditions
@panaga52, @queenie pretty please, Thanks. Right, booking Filzmoos (yes, I know, not the biggest, but cheap atm Smile and somewhere new and hopefully quiet and relaxing ).
snow report
@Grizzler, full of kids...seriously it is a family paradise with extremely limited slopes. That said you can easily get to other resorts
snow conditions
@Grizzler, Filzmoos is beautiful. It's a bit by itself compared with the other Ski Amadé destinations, but you can easily get to other areas with a car, and there are a few bus links if you do not have a car. It's a small ski area, but quite varied, and some challenging Langlauf too if you are that way inclined.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, we popped in there one afternoon. We spent a day (well in our terms a day is only till about lunch time, 1 or 1.30) at Forstau which we really enjoyed. We were staying in Radstadt and got into a routine of driving to Altenmakt and skiing from there.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, If you have any info on bus links etc I'd be very grateful. From what I can gather there's 1 bus each way on Tues, Wed and Thurs to Flachau, 9am ish start (yawn!) and an hourly ski bus to the next village (begins with N) where there's the drag lifts up. Any more? Or taxis? We won't have a car. I'd love to be able to get to more of the area's resorts, and the ski pass we've paid for covers them (!)
But if not, as long as there's useable snow and the weather's nice, then it's hopefully enough. My knees/legs aren't yet up to zooming around ticking off every run in the valley (not my skills, doubtless, 'specially on the board). I just want some snow snowHead
snow report
@Grizzler, taxi will be quite expensive. e.g. from Flachau to Radstadt is about €30 one way. If you can find a deal in a say Wagrain, zauchensee or Flachauwinkl you will have a much better choice of bus links. I really can't imagine Filzmoos keepign anyone's interest for more than a coupelof days. We went and were bored after a few hours. We would only go back for the langlauf

next village beginning with N...Niedernfritz? you would then have to get to Eben for skiing, a lovely little area but again very small

Have you tried Haus Suzanne (flangesax)? much more interesting ski area (Radstadt/Altenmarkt) with a bus to Schladming
ski holidays
@Grizzler The 'N' is Neubergerhof, which isn't the really the next village, more like the other side of the one you're in!

Taxis are a relative thing in both senses of the word. Plenty of family run Minibus type shuttles who will take you wherever you want to go. For example Filzmoos to Schladming at €10 per person sounds a good deal unless you're paying for all 8 of you in the minibus! Post Bus Services would probably do you for the odd away day. But If you want to get the most out of your lift pass I wouldn't base myself in Filzmoos.

Quiet and Relaxing it certainly is and if that's your main driver then go for it and have a great time.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 19-02-19 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Grizzler, you won't need a bus to the next village (Neuberg) as it is lift-linked with Filzmoos. I like the skiing in Filzmoos for a day, but as holidayloverxx says there's not much there.

The bus to and from Flachau opens up a lot more. Plus I think there is a bus to Altenmarkt from where you could get to Zauchensee.

Haus Suzanne, run by a very friendly family of snowheads in Radstadt is a much better bet if you want to explore more of Ski Amadé. They have some availability from 16th March.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, If we can keep smiling for a day at an indoor dome and several days on whatever oft-small offerings the Scottish resorts provide, never mind some of the smaller Finnish resorts... Given that I'm still getting back to full strength and confidence, plus have both technical skiing and fun boarding to practice (and Mr G needs to improve his tricks and switch riding), we'll make the most of it, I'm sure. If we like the area then we'll know to go back with other, maybe DIY, options.
@panaga52, thanks. Yes, Neuberg. Minibusses etc sound good if there's others to share; just 2 of us. Guess we'll see what's on offer when we get there. Sure that we'll work out something if really bored. Quiet pistes and no lift queues, their website says. That'll do Cool
ski holidays
@Timberwolf, did you approach my sister in Haus Susanne?
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Grizzler
The bus to and from Flachau opens up a lot more. Plus I think there is a bus to Altenmarkt from where you could get to Zauchensee.

Bus from Flachau to Altenmarkt then Zauch? quicker to get the bus from Flachau to Flachauwinkl for the High Port lift to Zauch - loads of busses per hour
ski holidays
Hi @NickyJ, sorry about that, I always get into trouble for approaching ladies
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timberwolf wrote:

Not a problem would have been nice to say Hi. Sorry I missed you
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Timberwolf wrote:

Not a problem would have been nice to say Hi. Sorry I missed you

No drama. You might be lucky and run into me again
ski holidays
Although it won’t be skiing, as I dislocated my shoulder on Sunday afternoon ( ouchy ). I am now mostly just frequenting huts now....... which may explain my cockiness Toofy Grin
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:
Although it won’t be skiing, as I dislocated my shoulder on Sunday afternoon ( ouchy ). I am now mostly just frequenting huts now....... which may explain my cockiness Toofy Grin

Oh no!!

We are talking about Flachauwinkl tomorrow. Parked up at Pichl today. Absolutely loving it and conditions are great!
latest report
Hi, anyone in the apendorf, Wagrain or kleinarl flachauwinkle area wanting company or to come for a ski?

We can do myself, option to include a 13yo guide and/or two crazy juniors, 6 and 4 ... Totally optional Smile

For those with kids we've been making good use of the family space at the bottom of the family shuttle, great place to feed lunch and play a few card games with the younger ones
ski holidays
@Grizzler, this season Scarpa and me have rediscovered Filzmoos. I also use to get a bit bored after a day there, but it has become our new favourite place for off piste as Zauchensee has become so damn busy rolling eyes We also had a couple of on piste days there when all the other resorts were rammed, it was a nice change, not to mention a surprise, to have the place relatively to ourselves. A trip over to Schladming is a must though, and you could also get the bus to Rittisburg,another small area many seem to neglect.
snow report
After 5 glorious days skiing with lovely snow conditions today the cloud is in low and it is raining in Radstadt

So plan for us today involves possibly taboganning and taking the kids swimming. At least my niece and nephew have had the best introduction to skiing and have truly got the bug. We are not going to risk spoiling that on this our last day here.
ski holidays
I spent yesterday having loads of fun off piste in varying conditions. Harder crust, rare pockets of soft snow, heavy tree skiing, some good though variable conditions up high (above 2000m) but some open areas being risky due to gliding snowpacks on grassy/smooth scree slopes. Still massive snow depths around, last week I took a huge edge coreshot in my Bents at low altitude by skiing over the top of a roadsign pole just below the snow surface... managed to fix it though.
latest report
Snowing heavily up top at moment.
snow report
I'm at Zauchansee, have to say it's mixed, snow at top but mixed in with what's almost sleet, still seems to be a good depth of soft new snow on the top half of the touring root.

Do have to say these conditions remind me of New Zealand a bit!

No complaints here though!
latest report
Is there still night skiing in Flachau?
snow conditions
@o11y, No...hasn't been in the 8 years I have been there
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy