Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2018-2019

Poster: A snowHead
SALZBURG AIRPORT CLOSURE MAY 19.

I may have missed this earlier in the threads but I've just discovered that Salzburg Airport will be closed from 24th Apr 19 to 28th May 19 for runway resurfacing. Luckily I fly out on 22nd Apr and wasn't planning to be in town anyway, but this does include the May (27th) Spring Bank Holiday Weekend. Worth knowing, especially as Airlines are still taking bookings for those dates. Munich anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I flew out of szg a couple of hours ago. 30 minute delay for de icer. Touched down at stansted 30 minutes ago, 10 minute waiting for a stand and since waiting for bloody steps. Ryanair of course.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@panaga52, the Salzburg airport closure has been planned for many months. The runway is 60 years ago and is being replaced. The period directly after Easter is the lowest for tourist numbers so the best time for this work to be carried out. Munich is the obvious alternative. Ryanair used to operate between Stansted and Linz but I don't think those flights run any more.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, I'm knew nothing about it so pleased it has been posted
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plus Munich is only 2 hrs away from Salzburg by train and a Bayern ticket allows 5 people to travel for €53, starts at €25 for one, €23 if travelling at night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarpa....In fact I should be out with my mate who is a boarder Very Happy however he has had minor shoulder surgery so cant board for a while. @bobbev999 I dont have transport so will be staying local....that is if I can fly into salzburg in the morning? Anyways you guys have a fab time and take care
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@seany1, so where are you going to be skiing? I have my car so I am mobile.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bobbev999 cool I am in rohrmoos near 6 man chair up to hochwurzen so will do all four mountains of course depending on weather
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@seany1, OK - we ski that area quite often so let's see if we can meet, weather permitting of course. I'll PM you my contact details so get in touch when you arrive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone skiing tomorrow? I haven't skied for a week, maybe I can brave these crazy conditions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, me Scarpa and Primoz are heading to zauch. I guess I will only manage a couple of off piste runs as I am out of practice, happy to hit the pistes after that to recover
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kooky, thanks honey, I am going up to Radstadt with the flangesaxes. Knowing me I will probably spend the day in the Hut! Enjoy the Pongpow!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wow, today I finally realised there really is a thing as too much powder! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HI KOOKY,

Just noticed your location. My mate and I have booked pension in Eben for a week from Jan 26th. Are you around to meet (we will have a car). Any off-piste at Eben?

cheers,

Ivor
@Kooky,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A small number of lifts closed and I saw from a friend who's a seasonaire in Alpendorf that they were using a chopper to clear snow from trees next to the Gernkogelbahn cables. It has now opened.
ski holidays
Very sad news from Zauchensee today
Yesterday they had to dig out a skier just below the Rauchkopfhutte. He was skiing a little off piste but got stuck in a drift and couldn't move. It's not just avalanches that could kill you at the moment, there are drifts and terrain traps all over the place.If you must go off piste keep an eye out for eachother, keep strongest skier as backlight and let people know where you are going. Personally, after an incident I had yesterday I'm staying on piste until this stabilised, but it looks like there is still loads more to come.
snow conditions
@skivor, certainly around, we also live in Eben! There is a bit of off piste, will pm you later when I'm home!
latest report
@Kooky,
Quote:

after an incident I had yesterday I'm staying on piste until this stabilised

Good x
latest report
Yeah but its safe in the trees isn't it!!

Well normally you are safer and normally the conditions in the Alps don't reach the extremes of the West Coast and the Rockies, but I think they are there now. These two videos are worth a watch and both bring out some key points for those who enjoy tree skiing. Be safe everyone.

http://youtube.com/v/NY6STzbolTU

http://youtube.com/v/0jvEYzh_1Sg
latest report
@panaga52,
Quote:

Yeah but its safe in the trees isn't it!!

after my experience yesterday , at the moment no. Shocked Shocked
A most defininate no.
Also, they just dug out 2 very experienced hunters who were on their way with snowshoes to check the animals, from a village a few kilometers from here. Although they had all the avi gear and were walking in a considered very safe place they got hit by a "staublawine" in the trees.
https://www.salzburg24.at/news/salzburg/tennengau/abtenau-vermisstes-paerchen-tot-aufgefunden-63670693

I am not posting this to scaremonger, its just that the situation here is critical, please, stay safe all.
snow conditions
@Kooky, That was exactly my point. When I think of the number of times my then small children went off the side into the trees, these clips bring home why no-one should be doing that at the moment unless they manage the risk appropriately.
latest report
Kooky wrote:

I am not posting this to scaremonger, its just that the situation here is critical, please, stay safe all.

I'm in Zell and most of the guides operating in the area seem to be based around saalbach. They are cancelling paid work at the moment because its too dangerous.

When people who earn a relatively modest income from the mountains are turning down paid work to be unemployed instead you know its very bad. I don't think anyone should be going off piste proper without a Guide and even side piste / tree runs could kill you. Ski routes that are open probably best bet.
latest report
Besides, pistes tomorrow morning should in effect be off piste?
snow report
Sorry thought this was saalbach thread! Too many austrian ski threads open!
latest report
My commute from Altenmarkt in Pongau (850m) to Werfen (520m) to Salzburg (450m) is often a clear indication of the snow line. Snowing this morning in Altenmarkt and Werfen, raining in Salzburg. An anticipated drop in temperatures later today is likely to change the rain in Salzburg to snow.
snow report
https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/263148. Stay safe guys.
snow report
Saw the ladies Slalom from Flachau on Eurosport last night and looked like it was dumping down with snow. Non stop in Austria it seems at the moment!
ski holidays
@swskier, yes and still snowing now although we are due a brief respite on Friday it seems.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
Saw the ladies Slalom from Flachau on Eurosport last night and looked like it was dumping down with snow. Non stop in Austria it seems at the moment!
we had 9 ski day opportunities in Flachau over the Xmas and new year...We got out 4 days. Mostly constant dumping. Great to have snow but a waste of leave time, car hire and buying a season pass.
snow conditions
Coming out to Flachau on the 19th Jan, hopefully will be able to get there with no problems. Friends in Altenmarkt say they have never seen as much snow and some resorts struggling to cope with it. I am sure by the time we get there all will be well. Don't want it too hard as this is my first ski since breaking leg in Zauchansee last January.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@soulo, the motorway is fine, so access to places like Flachau and Altenmarkt is no problem at all. The road up to Zauchensee has been periodically closed due to avalanche risk.
ski holidays
Thanks Queenie, i presume it's ok getting to Flachauwinkl ?
latest report
@soulo, yes fine, it's directly off the motorway.
snow report
The view from our front door in Neuberg

https://silverskier.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dscn10101.jpg
ski holidays
Epic.
snow report
Is that ski in, ski out?

A tree fell on a lift at reiteralm today, 30 skiers rescued, no injuries.

https://www.kleinezeitung.at/steiermark/chronik/5557596/-Wieder-mehr-als-2000-Menschen-eingeschlossen_Einsatzkraefte
latest report
Any new photos please, from those who live or are holidaying in the Schladming area?

We’re off to Rohrmoos for Feb half term, which is guaranteed to be very good after all this.
ski holidays
@Snow&skifan, sorry I didn't take any photos today. I was skiing at Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl/Zauchensee. The sun made a rare appearance but it was very cold and windy at the top. A few runs and lifts remain closed due to avalanche risk or the potential for falling trees due to weight of snow (see Wayne's link above, apparently that also happened at a lift in Maria Alm, thankfully no damage or injuries), but there is some great skiing to be had. The snow is as deep as I have ever seen it and very light and soft.
latest report
Its awesome...a few pics I put on fb ...its public so you should be able to view

https://www.facebook.com/sean.marsh.509
latest report
@seany1, wow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy