Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't do backflips, kids

Poster: A snowHead
Get man to move Nespresso machine closer to sofa, or move to having filter coffee instead and get one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Travel-Press-Coffee-Maker/dp/B0042RU4X0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1542542794&sr=8-8&keywords=bodum+cafetiere&tag=amz07b-21

You'll need a coarse ground coffee though and it's definitely not the same as proper kit.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Insufficient cups of tea were one of my main laments when I was laid up and home alone. I never really solved that problem.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-Beer-Bottle-Holder-Hands/dp/B01G9WXU2C/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1542543126&sr=1-5&keywords=beer+bottle+holder+belt&tag=amz07b-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/samLIKE-Lovely-Christmas-Drinking-Holds/dp/B07KCJPD95/ref=sr_1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1542543176&sr=1-12&keywords=beer+hat&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have an insulated camping mug with a lid, so that might work.

@SnoodlesMcFlude, open plan flat, where all the power points are in the walls, miles away from the furniture Confused There are usually a couple of trip hazards trailing across to the tables to charge laptops which I'm used to hopping over, but I don't really want to add any more. Filter coffee isn't going to beat tea in the hot drinks stakes.

@DB, I'm trying to keep the other leg intact...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, I can get you one of these if you want https://iwalk-free.com/product-introduction/

Plus, you can hire a knee scooter on line https://goo.gl/images/7PKVyq
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Masque, that's a really good call for an ankle. I saw a girl with a scooter in the gym the other week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Update: Went back to the hospital this morning where I was provided with a shiny new cast. There was quite a lot of swelling when the first one went on, so I was rattling around in it by about Tuesday as the swelling subsided. This time, the plaster guy compressed the bones with his hands as the cast was setting, and it feels much tighter now.

The colour of my foot seemed to provide some entertainment in the plaster room – I can see that my toes are dark purple, but I was surprised to see that the colouring goes no further, except for a purple line around the edge of the base of my foot. Anyone that knows me and has seen my skin tone and natural ability to bruise would not be surprised, but there's quite a contrast to the uninitiated Shocked

You can hardly see the break on today's X-ray, and the doctor was very happy with progress. She said I can weight it up to 20kg now. Back in a week for the next instalment.

@Masque, Innovative but also hilarious.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, once you get to 25kg you're good to ski so long as you keep weight on both skis.....you'll be skiing by December 8th.

I spent weekend before last in A&E all Saturday, thought the plate in my left wrist had moved after 10 years, super painful, badly swollen. Loads of tests and nothing, no infection - saw consultant this week and says all good probably a bite.....wierd. Felt a real fake in the queue for the Orthapaedics clinic though, but best to get checked out......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, a certain purveyor of skis was saying yesterday (after we'd had a good laugh about it) that he thought this might slow you down a bit in future rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, Haha, I'm not sure they're going to let me out of it that soon! December 28th is my projected release date, but I guess it will depend on progress and availability of appointments too.

@adithorp, Now why would he think that? It's not like it was a skiing accident... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, St Anton 28th then for some skiing, apres beers and then train home......my birthday 29th but we're leaving that day. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, I think I'll have to let you know on that one Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Insufficient cups of tea were one of my main laments when I was laid up and home alone. I never really solved that problem.

Tea not a good idea for me if laid up, for every one cup that goes in, 10 seem to come out Shocked
Back in August, I gave my bike too much power, pulling out of a junction with brand new back tyre on a well worn road surface, I don't know whether the bike landed on my ankle or whether I twisted it but it was a bit hurty, ok to weight bear but sore to move around & well swollen, I though meh!, I can stand on it, can't have done that much. Four months later and it's still a bit sore, too late to go to A&E now I guess?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon, I think A&E is probably the best place to go, as you’ll get a scan rather than a referral. I can bear weight on mine... Take a good book.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, bloody hell, only just seen this. Bad luck! Sad Sad
snow conditions
@Hurtle, It is, unfortunately, the cause of increased time spent sitting around winding people up on the internet. Brace yourselves, you've got four more weeks of it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Scarlet, Laughing Heal quickly.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, not a problem really. We're all off skiing so won't notice your efforts Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

the plaster guy compressed the bones with his hands as the cast was setting

that sounds a bit sore - hope it continues to go in the right direction.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
@Scarlet, not a problem really. We're all off skiing so won't notice your efforts Toofy Grin

Oof, low blow that I’m 100% sure will come back to haunt you later in the season.
ski holidays
Only 100% Puzzled
ski holidays
@pam w, It was fine actually. There's not been too much separation, but he just wanted to make sure it healed straight I think. Stung a bit, but not too bad. I'm not on any pain killers – it's a bit achey and throbs a bit if I've been on my feet too much.

@SnoodlesMcFlude, Yeah, I thought that. I'm guessing I'll probably see him in March or April, so that gives me a few months to concoct something interesting Twisted Evil
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
...I'm guessing I'll probably see him in March or April, so that gives me a few months to concoct something interesting Twisted Evil

That implies your aiming to come to the GnarBuG? If so I'll apologise with a hot beverage in the wood carvers hut.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 29-11-18 15:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@adithorp, EoSB is almost certain. GnarBuG is dependent on healing and how much work I get in the next couple of months. Until I'm back on skis, I can't really make that decision anyway.
snow report
So that's a yes then. snowHead
ski holidays
@adithorp, It's a maybe wink Also have to consider the logistical complexities of how I actually get there. An eight hour drive on my own isn't something I'd relish.
latest report
Update: Back again today for more X-rays and a checkup. Plaster isn't particularly durable once you are walking on it and I had noticed some loss of integrity under the sole of my foot, so obviously I'd applied an engineering solution and covered it in gaffer tape Toofy Grin Apparently there is a risk of dislocation every time you get a new cast, so he sent me back to the plaster room for a proper repair by a slightly bemused technician (over the top of the tape, as that's not coming off).

It seems to be healing, so two more weeks in the plaster cast (4 weeks total), then I'm supposed to get a lighter plastic one instead. That is something to look forward to.
snow report
@Scarlet, good news, glad it's healing well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update: The plaster cast was removed this morning by a big man with a very big pair of scissors Shocked He replaced it with a plastic version which is fitted in a similar way but doesn't involve any plaster. It is a lot lighter, and I was allowed to choose the colour: blue or purple, although he recommended purple because it matched my trousers Laughing

I had been able to ditch the crutches about 10 days ago, but the doctor today (I have seen a different doctor every time) said I should return to 20kg weight only to make sure it doesn't open up again.

What was really surprising to me was how much weight I have lost from that leg. I have never in my life had skinny legs – skinny jeans have to contain a lot of lycra, and knee-high boots are always a problem on the calf – but it is noticeably smaller than I remember. On the plus side, the swelling has gone and my skin is back to its usual pasty white colour.

Back on the 27th for final removal, so a cast for Christmas but not New Year.

snow report
@Scarlet, Very Happy
ski holidays
Don’t fret too much about the wastage in the leg. Mine was horrifying, but it came back remarkably quickly. It was much quicker to rebuild muscle than it was to get it in the first place.

I think I may have had the same purple for my big cast! Switched to orange for my smaller one.
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, that’s good to know. And as you can see, it blends in with my decor really well!
snow conditions
Matches the trousers beautifully, that cast. snowHead
snow conditions
@pam w, I only have two pairs of trousers that will fit over a cast. The others are yellow Shocked
ski holidays
Sounds like good progress. Soon be back to doing daft things wink
ski holidays
@adithorp, my partner in crime, Lucas, came round the other day with his powder day stories from last week. Apparently, he narrowly missed out on a 7m cliff drop due to someone in another group screaming at him to go the other way, but the 2m one was fine... Shocked

I'm going to have to be very insistent about avoiding landings for a while rolling eyes
snow report
@Scarlet, love the purple cast. Glad to hear you are healing well.
snow conditions
The level of healthcare service has generally been very good, but there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect between the hospital doctors and the pharmacies with regards to prescriptions.

I have been prescribed anti-coagulants as a precaution until my cast comes off. The first two times, I was given a box of 10 doses – not many, but enough to get me to the next appointment. I assumed this was the standard prescription amount until the third pharmacist only handed over five doses. N can be a very persuasive PITA when he wants to be, so that time managed to argue his way to a bigger box, but we knew that stunt wouldn't work twice so I was very insistent with the last doctor that she wrote a prescription for ten again, to see me through to the end of my treatment.

No dice in the pharmacy though, I'm five doses short and was told to return to the hospital for another script. I went there this morning, but the level 27 hellbeast on reception wouldn't let me past and I was sent away empty-handed to see "my own doctor". Having never needed healthcare before this incident, I now have to find a suitable doctor, register and get an appointment and a prescription out of them before Friday at the latest, and they are mostly shut in the afternoons. /rant
ski holidays
if it's any consolation they don't bother with the anti coags here once you are mobile. My austrian surgeon said I should take them till weight bearing (IIRC) and gave me enough for a few days at home. Consultant here said Nah, no need.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, the pharmacy will only dispense what is prescribed, and it sounds like just in the UK, your GP is responsible for further supplies. I've just sorted a prescription this morning for a student who is in a cast for Christmas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy