Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for a probably stupid question here, I've been skiing for many years but have never been in a ski resort over Christmas or New Year. This year for the first time we are actually going out on 23rd December for a week to Sestriere. So my question is are the lifts and facilities all open on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes! Have fun. Big night is Christmas Eve - expensive to eat out. But lifts, ski lessons etc - all as normal. Most resorts have special stuff on too. Much the best place to spend Christmas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will be great. Enjoy. You can probably still eat out at normal prices, not everywhere does a huge gala menu. If you're in a hotel they will probably be doing a special dinner anyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@814man, everything is open as normal with the exception of Christmas eve when some places close early and others have special menus.
The local ski school may put on a torch light descent with father Christmas in attendance and possibly free vin chaud. Christmas day is just another day.
I've spent almost all Christmases for the last 20 skiing not only cos I get a week off work but I can get away from the dreadful English over excesses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christmas week is usually about 2/3 the price of New year week & far less crowded. Christmas day generally a fairly quiet queue free day. Recommended!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied Christmas 3 times and again this year. Lifts finish around 2pm Christmas eve then service around the village free at bottom of slope. Christmas day lifts open hour later but ski school runs as normal. If self catering bear in mind shops won't open until possibly 27th. This is in Finland. Lovely to go out for a walk in Christmas eve and see all the houses getting ready to celebrate
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Expect resorts to be 80-90% normal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lpsmc1 wrote:
...Lifts finish around 2pm Christmas eve ...Christmas day lifts open hour later ...This is in Finland...

Been many times at xmas and never had this in the alps. Everything runs as normal but slopes always seem to get quiet xmas eve afternoon and xmas day morning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Lifts finish around 2pm Christmas eve then service around the village free at bottom of slope. Christmas day lifts open hour later but ski school runs as normal. If self catering bear in mind shops won't open until possibly 27th. This is in Finland

But not in France, IME.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everything will be open. @814man, are you in a hotel?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The only difference I've seen are some of the mountain huts closing slightly earlier on Christmas eve, but plenty stay open too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic way to spend Christmas. We do it every year, and have it off pat now. I spend less on food and we are all more active than if we stayed at home. Nothing closes early or starts late in the Grand Massif, it is another day. Mind you we are often on our own Christmas morning, it is bliss. Check with the local tourism office to see if there is a Santa parade or similar and other events. Are you hotel or self-catering? If self-catering you do need to be flexible on what you cook for the main meal. Always exciting to see what different foods/traditions there are.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheesie168 wrote:
If self-catering you do need to be flexible on what you cook for the main meal. Always exciting to see what different foods/traditions there are.

We self cater and tbh we don't do anything special. For us being out skiing is exciting and fun enough. We did take a little tree and a few small pressies.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, You can now buy trees much more easily than 10/15 years ago. Bit more pricey than UK but it is the mountains. I always have to make sure we have crackers as well, as I've never found them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Bit more pricey than UK but it is the mountains

@Cheesie168, Laughing and there's me thinking that spruce trees are readily available in the mountains....
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Bit more pricey than UK but it is the mountains

@Cheesie168, Laughing and there's me thinking that spruce trees are readily available in the mountains....

A friend of mine did start to cut one down a few years ago but was spotted and reprimanded by a gendarme!
latest report
Great replies everyone, many thanks, really looking forward to it now. We staying self catering, cheap and cheerful, had always assumed prices would be high but thats not the case for flights and accommodation.
snow report
@814man, if the snow arrives it is my favourite week to ski. Proportionately, there are not many other people who go away from home, so the slopes are quieter. Expect resorts / roads to get busier from 27th and Sat 29th will be VERY busy on the roads indeed. If you want to eat out on Xmas Eve make sure you book in advance.
ski holidays
If there is good snow, then you might find the place getting busy in the holiday period after Christmas. We used to go to Kitzbuhel every year. Magical at Christmas. Skiing entirely as normal, most places. The family celebrations will be on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is like a Bank Holiday.

snowHead
snow report
It's magical, you'll love it. Make the most of anything the resort puts on - torchlit descents, fireworks, vin chair. The only thing we've found is that if you want to eat out on a key date book a table, also if you're in a resort close to a large city it can get busy on boxing day or the weekend as people head out for a day on the slopes.
ski holidays
A wine chair? What an excellent idea!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy