Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve or Bust!

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to make contact with anybody that will be in Megeve from January to April 2019. I will be there managing a private chalet and am looking to network with people and get the lay of the land with regard to where to food shop - in particular.

I am also driving there - having never been driven to the Alps in my life - so am feeling somewhat apprehensive but also excited. Empty Nester on Tour.

Also looking to find someone to get lessons with. I have plateaued as a happy blue runner; capable of skiing reds when forced; and utterly terrified on blacks.I would like to return - able to ski reds happily; and not be frightened of moguls and off piste. Maybe even keep up with my kids...LOL

Ideally looking for the equivalent ski version of a great book club!

Any ideas or recent experience of the resort would be much appreciated - esp if you have driven there

Thank you in advance for any replies or help. Snowheads are amazing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a very easy resort to drive to. Down in the valley - no big hills, though on really bad days the winding road up from Sallanches to Combloux can be interesting. Finding non-expensive off road parking will be important. Food shopping is no problem - there are supermarkets both sides of the resort. The one between Megeve and Praz sur Arly is good - plenty of parking and there's also cheap petrol there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tinabf, great adventure & such a nice place to pick.
the Drive is very easy, on French autoroutes all the way with only last 3 miles off it, just take your time, drive within the speed limits & take regular breaks, it really is an easy drive.
EMB is an easy resort to ski so you will be fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tinabf, Nothing really to be scared of re driving. Unless you are typically scared of driving in which case you'll just be scared as usual. You get used to being on the other side of the road.

If you have a car, you may (I don't really know Megeve) want to shop in supermarkets a bit down the valley e.g. St Gervais. And you may, for nice fish, etc. want to go as far as Grand Frais in Domancy.

Re networking, there will almost certainly be one or two bars that seasonal workers hang out in but I don't know how many UK operators go there. How is your French?

In Chamonix (as an example, although it is much bigger and has a bigger quasi-resident population) there are a couple of groups who self organise weekly lessons/guiding and at least one ski school does an hour a week for seasonal workers.

Find the local Megeve or EvasionMB face book group and get on that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks - and for encouragement. Feeling a bit daunted today
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tinabf, I understand that there is a cash-and-carry for commercial catering in Megeve, do you know if you will have an account for it ? The main supermarkets are bigger than in a lot of resorts and closer to valley prices.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't think so - it's a private family I'm looking after.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tinabf, There is a big Metro store in Passy.
You need an account, but anyone with a French Registered Business can get one.
Your employers would be able to get a card for you - they are free.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

on French autoroutes all the way with only last 3 miles off it

Bit more than 3 miles off the motorway, but certainly easy. Will you be cooking, @tinabf? If so, and presuming they will be paying the food bills, you should find most of what you need in the local shops - the supermarket out towards Praz sur Arly is good, the big supermarket in Sallanches is better. It sounds a great job. Megeve is quite a "French" place - being able to speak some French will make life easier and more fun. Plenty of time between now and the start of the season for improving your level.

A small car is absolutely ideal - no worries there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My French is not bad. Lived in Paris for a year - too many moons ago. Understand quite a bit - sometimes struggle with vocabulary.
I will be cooking for a family - and yes - they are paying the food bills - it is a fab job and a fab chalet. But with just little old me during the week - so great for skiing but a bit lonely...Was going to do a ski season - but this came up and was too good to say No - and most importantly - own room. Hoping for a great season of snow as I missed last year due to A levels - so here's hoping!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tinabf, what an excellent town and ski area to spend a season in!

SB Ski has a good presence and reputation in Megeve. They have several very good instructors working with them. Different nationalities but all good English speakers and all know the area very well.

Maybe in quieter times of the season they might offer private lessons? Or if they have spare capacity in small groups it may be possible to join them?

I don’t know but may be worth asking. BTW I have no connection with them, other than as a very impressed past client.
snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, Thanks! Looking forward to it - and thanks for heads up re ski schools
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tinabf, no probs but just to clarify, they’re a small British run operator in Megeve. They include tuition as part of their offer. Great instructors but not a ski school. I should have been clearer.
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Tina, what a great plan. I'm down the road in Flumet at weekends and back up everything said above. The Intermarché at Praz sur Arly meets all my needs, they'll show you how to shuck oysters too which is a key Megève skill. While there's no shortage of places to buy cheese, the Flumet cooperative is wonderful.

And also, if you are happy to drive 3 miles, (you may well not be in easy walking distance of the Megève lifts) the skiing in the Espace Diamant is somewhat cheaper if that's a consideration. They have an early bird season ticket at €489 I think until the end of the month, or they have a €20 card which gives maybe 20% off a day and half price on Saturday, I believe. But Megève has a massive domain itself.

Don't forget swimming stuff if that's your thing, the Sports centre's great for a swim and a steam.

Overall, there is unlimited long distance un-terrifying beautiful skiing to be had on all sides as far as the eye can see, and frankly in all seasons it's one of the most beautiful spots in Europe. And the snow record is pretty good.
ski holidays
I was confused, I presume it was your kids’ A levels that got in the way?
latest report
More seriously, You can buy an Evasion season pass at €661 or a Mont Blanc Unlimited which includes the Chamonix Valley and Courmayeur for €1,041. If you are only going to work at weekends and in no way am I suggesting you'll run out of skiing locally...

Actually, no that's a crap idea. €350 gets you ~7 day passes anywhere really, forget the suggestion. Stick with earlier advice.
ski holidays
@tinabf, nice to meet you this evening at Bartletts! The SB Ski that PeakyB mentions is the same place we were talking about.
ski holidays
Megeve and bust.
The only place I can afford to eat there is the McDonalds.

It's a very nice to look at though.
ski holidays
@Drammeister, Megeve not a place for cheap eating out. Popping down the road to Combloux doesn’t take long and there’s one or two better value restaurants there.
snowHead
ski holidays
@Jonny996, Hi. Sorry - life got in the way but am now head down and thinking about Megeve. I wonder if you could help me - what do you think is the best way to Megeve? I live in Maidenhead, Berks. Is there a best time to get the Eurostar/travel and how long will it take? I don't want to ferry it unless it is better route wise - as I get very sick on water...What are the key tips when driving in France and in snowy conditions? must confess to feeling somewhat apprehensive. My insurance co says I am covered to drive in France but wanted to check if I should be considering any additional cover? I am fully comp in UK but wondered if there were other issues I should be looking at. I know I have to get a high vis jacket etc. Any tips etc much appreciated Thank you
ski holidays
@Jonny996, Hi. Sorry - life got in the way but am now head down and thinking about Megeve. I wonder if you could help me - what do you think is the best way to Megeve? I live in Maidenhead, Berks. Is there a best time to get the Eurostar/travel and how long will it take? I don't want to ferry it unless it is better route wise - as I get very sick on water...What are the key tips when driving in France and in snowy conditions? must confess to feeling somewhat apprehensive. My insurance co says I am covered to drive in France but wanted to check if I should be considering any additional cover? I am fully comp in UK but wondered if there were other issues I should be looking at. I know I have to get a high vis jacket etc. Any tips etc much appreciated Thank you
ski holidays
karin wrote:
@tinabf, nice to meet you this evening at Bartletts! The SB Ski that PeakyB mentions is the same place we were talking about.

Hello! Have just been back on SHeads. Sorry for not responding earlier. Did not get notification. Have been struggling with health issues and family - but thankfully feeling much better! Hope all good with you and will email soon and hopefully we can meet when you are in Megeve. And it was great to meet you at Bartletts. T x
ski holidays
When do you need to get there, @tinabf? Taking Eurotunnel and driving down is very straightforward. If you can, avoid high days and holidays. Get the car fitted with winter tyres, have chains that fit and practice fitting them. Have your battery checked. Get some high-strength windscreen solution and keep it topped up (Aldi and Lidl stuff is good, but they don't always have it). Windscreens get very messy. Wipe headlamps sometimes, too (and bear in mind the need to sort out dipping in the wrong direction - depends on your car and how modern and fancy it is. Don't use your handbrake when there's freezing slush about. On insurance, check what trip length will be covered (there are sometimes limits).

But above all, don't panic - it's not rocket science. Driving on slippery road is mostly commonsense - easy on the gas and brakes, keep a good distance from car in front, stay in high gear where possible. You'll be fine and as stated above, Megeve is not at the top of a mountain!
ski holidays
@tinabf, I try and get a 07.00 tunnel crossing & just aim for Chamonix, DO NOT GO VIA PARIS it is autoroute all the way. the roads are far emptier than in the UK & I would say the standard of driving is generally better. As for Snow you wont really hit any until the last 20 miles.
It normally takes us about 9-10 hours from getting off the tunnel. the tolls are approx. £60, if you are driving on your own you have to get out of car but there are only 4 on complete journey.
Make sure your car headlights can switch to driving on the left & make sure you take breaks.
latest report
How very exciting. Easy trip from Maidenhead and can be readily done in one day unless the weather is really really bad in which case just come off the motorway and stay in one of the cheap hotel chains. Stick to the speed limits and dont forget that the tolls are pricey on the motorways. As others have said winter tyres and chains are essential. We have driven home from Megeve to Sussex in a single day several times and even without a particularly early star. Have a wonderful time and let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
When do you need to get there, @tinabf? Taking Eurotunnel and driving down is very straightforward. If you can, avoid high days and holidays. Get the car fitted with winter tyres, have chains that fit and practice fitting them. Have your battery checked. Get some high-strength windscreen solution and keep it topped up (Aldi and Lidl stuff is good, but they don't always have it). Windscreens get very messy. Wipe headlamps sometimes, too (and bear in mind the need to sort out dipping in the wrong direction - depends on your car and how modern and fancy it is. Don't use your handbrake when there's freezing slush about. On insurance, check what trip length will be covered (there are sometimes limits).

But above all, don't panic - it's not rocket science. Driving on slippery road is mostly commonsense - easy on the gas and brakes, keep a good distance from car in front, stay in high gear where possible. You'll be fine and as stated above, Megeve is not at the top of a mountain!

Thanks Pam. Def winter tyres? Not cross climate? Have been recommended Michelin. Have to be there by 11 Jan but hoping to get there a bit sooner to suss out lie of the land to be ready for the family when they arrive. Also - have been told that rather than chains..Thoughts? Thx x
latest report
pam w wrote:

Thanks Pam. Def winter tyres? Not cross climate? Have been recommended Michelin. Have to be there by 11 Jan but hoping to get there a bit sooner to suss out lie of the land to be ready for the family when they arrive. Also - have been told that rather than chains..Thoughts? Thx x
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
@tinabf, I try and get a 07.00 tunnel crossing & just aim for Chamonix, DO NOT GO VIA PARIS it is autoroute all the way. the roads are far emptier than in the UK & I would say the standard of driving is generally better. As for Snow you wont really hit any until the last 20 miles.
It normally takes us about 9-10 hours from getting off the tunnel. the tolls are approx. £60, if you are driving on your own you have to get out of car but there are only 4 on complete journey.
Make sure your car headlights can switch to driving on the left & make sure you take breaks.

Thanks! T x
snow conditions
Just for a different point of view - you can most definitely hit snow in the northern half of France where it tends to bring everything to a halt, as it does in the UK. You hear messages on 107.7 FM telling all heavy goods vehicles to get off the road into rest areas, you can spend hours driving behind a snow plough clearing one lane of the motorway at 30 mph. You can also hit lethal fog - worst conditions of all. You need to be prepared, stay flexible, be ready to get off the road and stop for a few hours, or overnight - as required. I've done all those things, but yes, generally it's all very easy! Winter tyres are best - see any number of threads on Snowheads to see all the arguments! Not sure what you are suggesting other than chains - but if you're spending the winter in the Alps, get chains. They're easy enough to deal with once you know how and more effective than any of the alternatives. Socks can be effective and are easier to put on but they get shredded rather easily too - worth it for someone who is doing just one week in the season, but chains are better. If you have all-season tyres you are more likely to need chains (they are sometimes required by police, but more often you need them because you can feel you're losing traction, without the need for anybody to tell you so! When conditions are sketchy it can help to put the music off and even drive with window open - you can hear the beginning of loss of traction before you feel it, sometimes. Have a shovel, something to kneel on, a big black bag to put chains in when you take them off. My headlights can't switch to driving on the left - my car is pretty basic. You get stickers - not very effective but required.
snow conditions
OK - all points duly noted. Many thanks for your help. It's gonna be an adventure...And I think I may need to have stickers too...
ski holidays
Consider getting a télépéage "doofer" - does make life easier when you're on your own. If yours is a diesel car fill it up in the mountains (e.g. Albertville, before you head up towards Megeve) as the fuel will be less likely to congeal in low temperatures. If you don't have a serviceable spare wheel, try not to hit any of the nasty sharp-edged pot holes with which the roads will be littered towards the end of the season. If you travel during the week in early January you should have an easy journey, traffic-wise. Avoid Saturdays.

Audio books are great company when you drive on your own - which is, incidentally, by far the best way to do it. I've done it lots of times and usually enjoyed the journey, in a slightly masochistic sort of way. Other people can be a pain, wanting different music, wanting a pee just when you're in your stride and good for another 140 miles, etc etc.
snow report
have a look at this thread ttps://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139935#3309847
snow report
One big advantage of having winter tyres is being able to just get in the car and go out to the shops, not needing to plan ahead on whether to put the chains on.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
have a look at this thread ttps://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139935#3309847

Not linking...
latest report
@tinabf, initial "h" missing
ski holidays
Doh! ...But thanks . Have been looking at it - but am amazed how expensive it is to drive vs flying. Quite surprised...Not sure my employers will accept costs
latest report
@tinabf, as suggested above, for a season in the alps you really should have winter tyres. It isn't as expensive as it sounds. Buy winters and store the regular tyres until you get back in the spring. Swap them back on your return. Then bung the winter tyres back on next winter. Before I got a car with 2 sets of wheels I do that every year. Lads in a local tyre shop will usually do the swapping for about £10 a wheel.

I am starting my 5th season up the road in Chamonix and wouldn't dream of going without winter tyres.

Also look out for the ice hockey. The Megeve/St Gervais team are in the French second division and are a good night out.
snow report
@HammondR, Good shout RE the ice hokey, we went a few years ago & now look forward to it, kids love the roughness of it
snow report
Quote:

Not sure my employers will accept costs

Well I guess it wouldn't be a disaster to be there without a car. It's a proper town, there are buses. You will presumably have the use of your employer's vehicle if they expect you to do big supermarket shops? The best sort of vehicle to drive in nasty wintry weather is Somebody Else's.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy