Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gym fitness for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As well as doing running, as the ski season gets closer I also tend to incorporate some resistance training in order to ward off osteoporosis. A recent programme on the TV advising on calcium intake with vitamin D prompted me to revisit my current routine.

Jogging itself is good for maintaining bone strength. However, resistance training is something I do intermittently in order to strengthen my core body. I initially tried using resistance bands as a cheap way of getting certain muscles used, as well as using body weight. However, I eventually succumbed and got some dumbells with 20KG on each dumbell.

This September I have started a 3x circuit using these dumbells:

Knee bends
bicept curls
upward arm press
chest
side lift
stomach side bends
shoulder shrugs
back lifts

and using body weight:

press ups
sit ups
bridge
knee swing

The idea is to focus on core body strength. I particularly find doing bridge lifts helps strengthen the area which I find the most bothersome. (the small of the back and the gluteal muscles)

Bring on the snow! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eccentric strength, this does the trick on top of a normal fitness base....

go leg blasters!

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mate of mine is a crossfit instructor (as a hobby).
He has recommended a lot of movements which require you to engage your core - his point is that core stability is more about engaging the muscles at the right time than muscular strength.

So things like
Bear crawls
lunges with rotation and point to ceiling
squats
press ups and yoga press ups
cossack squats
swings

I was doing them ahead of my climbing trip this summer and found that they worked really well for stability, range of movement and strength
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jedster, I do some of these activities when I do a yoga stretching after doing a run. I tried bear crawls as this is interesting.

@makwendo, I am slowing down on the eccentric weight action, particularly on bicepts where I tend to try and get them over quickly.

I read recently that the frequency of resistance training is not as important as doing some. So once a week, is almost as good as 3 times a week, but way better than nothing.

So, I have started slowly in September, and will build it up to maybe 2 times a week for October. (depending on what else I do)

The first time I did it in August after a long rest, muscles were in pain for a few days. The second time, less pain. The third time, it is getting easier. I really start sweating on the bicept curls and overhead arm lifts, and the press ups can make my elbows creak (although that might be the floorboards)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marksymoo wrote:
I wish I could enjoy it.. I've tried music, running in a group, pushing myself hard - I just don't seem to be able to click with it!

Try a podcast instead of music, have been doing runs and circuits to Dan Carlin's hardcore histories series for last couple of months.
Keeps the grey cells exercised at the same time
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's been an interesting read has this thread. I do short runs most mornings combining jogging and steep incline sprints with the dog. I generally do between 50 and 60 press ups most mornings - pretty much straight out of bed and do free weights at home two or three times a week. I hate gyms.
On Friday this week I went to the local climbing wall for a bouldering session. I haven't been for about 6 years and had forgetten what great fun it is. I can vouch for it as an all over form of exercise too. I literally ache everywhere! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HotDogger wrote:
It's been an interesting read has this thread. I do short runs most mornings combining jogging and steep incline sprints with the dog. I generally do between 50 and 60 press ups most mornings - pretty much straight out of bed and do free weights at home two or three times a week. I hate gyms.
On Friday this week I went to the local climbing wall for a bouldering session. I haven't been for about 6 years and had forgetten what great fun it is. I can vouch for it as an all over form of exercise too. I literally ache everywhere! Smile

If you are not already doing so - when you do Press Ups, make sure you go all the way down until your Sternum brushes the floor - and do the "Lowering" phase (towards the floor) twice as slowly as the "Pressing" stage. Try to do them with your Shoulder Blades squeezing together.

I say this, as almost everybody I see doing Press Ups, have their heads tilted toward the floor (which prevents full down movement), don't use their full range of movement and do them quickly, so they can get their count up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always followed the rule of "nose and balls". If they both touch this keeps that plank form. Though it has to be said by the time it gets to the higher figures the reality is somewhat less rigid, far more red faced and gasping for air. Toofy Grin
It's all at the same tempo, though I do more controlled ones during workouts. I'll start adding the tempo change.
I've worked my way up to that amount over about six months or more by the way. I'm hoping to get up towards the hundred mark eventually. I imagine if I can stick with the climbing it'll be attainable.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HotDogger wrote:
I've always followed the rule of "nose and balls". If they both touch this keeps that plank form. Though it has to be said by the time it gets to the higher figures the reality is somewhat less rigid, far more red faced and gasping for air. Toofy Grin
It's all at the same tempo, though I do more controlled ones during workouts. I'll start adding the tempo change.
I've worked my way up to that amount over about six months or more by the way. I'm hoping to get up towards the hundred mark eventually. I imagine if I can stick with the climbing it'll be attainable.

Let me know how it goes - it can make them considerably more difficult....so 2 or 3 seconds to lift and 4-6 seconds to Lower. Keep the "control" exactly the same, no matter when you do them.

I'm a big believer in Body Weight training, like Press Ups, Pull/Chin Ups, Lunges etc - But all done with the same control/form/discipline.

For Triceps - Use the "Diamond Press Up"....note how slowly he does the Eccentric Phase.

http://youtube.com/v/J0DnG1_S92I
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
October has resulted in a strain to my left shoulder. It has resulted in my ceasing all weight bearing on that arm, and both arms as my left arm is less developed than my right. I have done this before, and it took a long time to heal. I have tried taping it up with kinesiology tape, and this makes it feel better especially in movement.

I do not think it is a dislocation, or even a subluxation as there is plenty of movement before pain occurs (and the pain is not severe enough). So I just have to accept that I have to be patient, and relax and watch the rugby.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From personal experience as a cyclist find that strength training for track cycling provides good cross over for skiing given the high-rep and relatively short efforts experienced in both sports which tend to quick lactic buildup ie. the requirement to have high intensity endurance for periods ranging anywhere around 3 to 5 minutes. Both activities also require lots of core and upper body involvement. British Cycling have published the following strength building video which I follow when getting ready for the track season. Only equipment required is a kettlebell or two which are available at various prices on Amazon.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/bike-kit/article/izn20160113-Ask-the-experts-How-to--Beginner-strength-exercises-for-cyclists-0\

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JLL-Neoprene-Covered-Kettlebells-Kilograms/dp/B00U3W8NDQ/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=bodymax%2Bkettlebell&qid=1570962291&s=sports&sr=1-14&th=1&tag=amz07b-21
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy