Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, before anyone says anything this is not a goggles v sunglasses threat (been done before), but a quest to find the right type of lens, I can't decide what to go for, Oakley's with Polarised Bronze lenses or Maui Jim Polarised one's, so which would be best?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Love my Oakleys. They are the 'minute' model. Ski, bike, hike, car - they are brill. Really keep the wind out of your eyes [though would goggle it in white out]. And the repair service is par excellence. There are a few other snowheads threads on the repairs bit if you want to do a search. I got prescription ones, which were pricey, but I would not grudge a single penny.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oakleys are great - just not clear why you should want a polarized version.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

just not clear why you should want a polarized version.

From memory, achilles, I think this is what they call the colours. Mines are polarised.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polarised sunglasses

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, the initial thought was to use them sitting in the sun, just got back and had terrible glare when looking into my beer Smile. Then i thought if I'm splashing out on some new ones how about using them to ski in what lens would be best, they did get the Oakley book out with lens choice, I could have Iridium but the Polarised Bronze seemed the best option for bright sun
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
radar, have not had any problems with sore eyes from the sun - which I did experience when I got my crappy 'free pair' of sunglasses when I had a change in prescription. It really made me realise what a great pair of sunnies the Oakley's are. [Sorry to bang on about them].
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
radar,
I have Juliets with Fire Iridium lenses (non-polarised) and have never had any issues with bright light.
By Oakleys own description, the Bronze polarised have a light transmission only 1% below the iridium, i.e. 15% vs 16%. The other properties are identical.
That said price seems similar (Bronze are $10 more..)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My view is that sunnies are for really bright days and the rest are for goggles so I would get a dedicated bright light pair....

Oakley's site has a decent mock-up of how the lense type works so use that as a ref..

I have 2 pr here that I can't wear in anything but a really bright light as when indoors you can't see a thing... Laughing Laughing and trip over...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MarjMJ wrote:
Quote:

just not clear why you should want a polarized version.

From memory, achilles, I think this is what they call the colours. Mines are polarised.
Nope, they are polarised, or they are not. Polarised are dearer and have a little "p" in the corner. Better for glare in theory, though my normal Gold Iridium lenses are fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jerry, I like my polarized Smiths but a brief review of the "internet" "literature" suggests there's some debate as to whether they're better for snow sports or not. My optics course is too distant in time to work out whether polarization works well or not on snow.

Work fine for me though and I'm quite fussy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A fairly in-depth review of goggle science:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4364-Skiing-Examiner~y2009m5d15-Ski-Goggle-Science-Part-1-Light-my-way

(well the stuff about lenses applies)

IMHO, it's just a load of smoke and mirrors to make us spend more and there's no 'perfect' solution.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
radar wrote:
I can't decide what to go for

Oakley - sunglasses
Briko - goggles
North Face - T shirt
Vuarnet - ski suit (winter)
Bulgie - ski pants (spring)
Paramo – jacket (spring)
Salomon - skis
Dackstein - ski socks
Reusch - Gloves (winter)
Roecki - gloves (sping)
Whatever fits well - boots

Sorry can't find the "stiring things up" icon so wink rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adidas Elavation Pro are the ultimate skiing glasses.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
as someone that just cant get on with goggles(fogging up all the time) is there a certain colour lens i could use in sunglasses that would suffice in flat light conditions etc, would need to be prescription lenses, any reccomendations?
snow report
rizzotherock wrote:
as someone that just cant get on with goggles(fogging up all the time) is there a certain colour lens i could use in sunglasses that would suffice in flat light conditions etc, would need to be prescription lenses, any reccomendations?

see my post above. !
latest report
nixmap, Wrong thread? wink [/ironic]
snow report
I always wear my oakley polorised sunglasses. I only ever had a problem in a white-out last year where I couldn't see anything at all. I since invested in goggles and used them most of the time this year though for the really bright days i had my oakleys on. Bronze and iridium have fairly similar properties so its down to preference. Me personnaly I'd never go back to a non-polorised lens. They do make a great deal of difference on the mountain, at sea and while driving.
snow report
rizzotherock, I use Jublo OTG's with bronze lense, no foging problem, and pretty good in most light. The Oakley glasses I was looking at were around £300 with varifocal lenses, single vision about £100 less.

Thanks every one for the input will stick with goggles, as sunglasses with a helmet is uncool, oh that's diffrent thread wink, will get sunglasss for the beach and for posing at lunch and apre ski on the slopes.

nixmap, nice to see that you can move threads Laughing

Wayne, you boys in Wigan sure know how to dress Smile
snow report
nixmap wrote:
Adidas Elavation Pro are the ultimate skiing glasses.

I've got some of those (or rather the ClimaCool variant of them, I think yours are more upmarket you UTTER SHOW OFF) and can confirm that they're excellent specs, although haven't had them out on the slopes yet.

The best thing about them is that you can adjust the height of the arms individually. I've got wonky ears and all previous sunnies I've ever owned have sat at a rakish angle across my nose, a bit like Jonathan King. Which isn't a good look, frankly.
ski holidays
I have Gold Iridium lenses which seem to do the trick in all conditions
ski holidays
radar, I use Maui Jims - they are unbelieveable. I used to wear nothing but Oakleys until someone shoved a pair on Maui's on my face. I immediately went out and bought myself a pair. Nearly everyone I know who has tried them has done the same. Even a friend who has pretty poor eyesight went and got perscriptions made up at huge cost. It's difficult to explain until you try them. I find the grey one's best for skiing - personally I use those in all conditions - except blizzards when I retire to the nearest log fire and a jug of the local brew... (I must sound like an advert! rolling eyes )
snow report
Tatty wrote:
radar, I use Maui Jims - they are unbelieveable.

Visually I agree with you. The colour filter is insanely good, the best by a country mile.

But....
There is no wind protection, which for the fast and furious amongst us, just doesnt cut the mustard.

If you are skiing champage pow, you need a seal to keep out the white smoke.

The leaves you with either goggles (which most people with glasses cant stand) or Elevation Clima cool pro with the prescription clip ins.

The are expensive, but a great powder day is simply priceless.
ski holidays
nixmap,

Never heard of em, but always willing to learn. Which ones do you recommend ?
http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11601&langId=-1&categoryId=17608#
snow report
The lens colour I tried was Maui Rose. I borrowed a pair from a friend and was utterly astounded by the difference.
The Fram style is down to you, you need side coverage, if you ski fast.

In defence of adidas though :-

With Maui Jim
You cant change the lenses for the conditions.
Theres no foam seal.
Theres no strap.
ski holidays
Wayne, I have the grey Ho'okipa, which tends to wrap around my face quite well, but as nixmap quite rightly says, they are just glasses and you do need something else with a seal of sorts for extreme conditions or speed. However, as lenses go - quite amazing.

The Bronze are the lightest tint, followed by Rose and then Grey. I'm afraid you will have to try on a selection to see what suits.....

Oops - edited to say that I noticed on the website there is now a fourth lens - HT. Long time since I last looked!
ski holidays
Quote:

something else with a seal of sorts for extreme conditions or speed

this IMO is what makes my Oakley's a winner. You don't get all that runny eye stuff whilst hurtling along.
snow report
Tatty, the Maui Jim's with prescription lenses worked out to be a bit too much, Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
radar, yes I know..! When my friend did it he had to get it done in the States and then sent over here - that was painful!
snow conditions
radar wrote:
Hi, before anyone says anything this is not a goggles v sunglasses threat (been done before), but a quest to find the right type of lens, I can't decide what to go for, Oakley's with Polarised Bronze lenses or Maui Jim Polarised one's, so which would be best?

I think you should better go with the Oakley polarized Bronze lenses. The quality of the Oakley lenses is really good.
ski holidays
These are fantastic for £15!

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=G1011

Interchangebale lenses.... I've been wearing them for a year now. Great. I used to wear Oakley when skiing but too scared of losing the things now.... not too much of a fashion bod and these are great.
snow report
One of the major benefits of Oakleys is the protection the lenses give your eyes. Go n youtube and look up Oakley Impact Protection Test. It's an eye opener! I really do think Oakleys are the best you can buy for sport. In terms of losing them, if you get a sporty pair with the grippy ear socks and nose piece they aren't going anywhere, I've had my pair 7 years now, biking, skiing, climbing and they still look pretty new! Oakley have just brought out a pair called Jawbones with interchangable lenses, come with two pairs and the cleaning pouch/bag has little pockets to keep your spares in. Perfect for changing light conditions!
latest report
Hmm, just ordered Oakley Inmates with prescription varifocals and transition lenses, really bought them for everyday wear but I'll try them out on the slopes and report back. Suspect they won't keep the wind out but I will look cool till I hit a tree I didn't see.

What I really need is new eyes that see better.
ski holidays
fatirishman, great good bargain, but needed prescription lenses.

Ghost Dog, I Need them too Madeye-Smiley

Decided that after replacing the lenses in my glasses ouch! to stick with my OTG's and buy some prescition sunglasses Smile
snow conditions
Jawbones, you can change the lenses for different conditions/sports, and they cover your eyes well

latest report
A bit of a novice when it comes to sunglasses and goggles. I have read through another thread about the different colour lens and their suitability for different light. I'm thinking of getting new goggles and sunglasses for this season. With the intention of wearing sunnglasses for the bright sunny days and goggles for flat light and bad weather.

where are the best websites or even best shops in the south of England for sunglasses. It seems that Ellis Brigham and Snow & Rock lack the range of lenses and glasses. Vision3k look like they have a better range. Is it ever a good idea to get sunnies/goggles in resort? or will you pay through the nose.

what do you think of these?:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/uvex_split_ski_sunglasses/ cheap pair, the blues one for sunny days.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=483704 anyone ever had any experience of these?

http://www.vision3k.com/brands/oakley-ski-goggles/o-frame.asp O Frames, rather cheap again.

http://www.vision3k.com/brands/oakley-ski-goggles/a-frame.asp A Frames, will you notice a great difference between the Oakley O and A Frames?

I've seen a pair of rather nice looking Scott goggles, its a shame they seem better suited to sunnier days and thats not the point of having goggles http://www.vision3k.com/brands/scott-ski-goggles/decree.asp

http://www.snowandrock.com/bolle-anaconda/sunglasses/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/755
snow report
Mosha Marc, i think they look shocking, bought the Livestrong ones for my brother and they are kinda gimmicky looking. Kinder Egg toy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
arv, function over form, please Cool
snow conditions
I must admit I used to have a bit of a fetish for sunglasses, I had an embarrassing large collection.
But I took my favourites on holiday with me to Campitello di Fassa, it does sound daft... but they even had their own little carry case.
But guess who left them in the hotel bedroom when we vacated at about 6am.

At least they will be well received in Italy.
I can't remember exactly all of the pairs that I left behind, but they were favourites.
Easily over £1000 worth Confused

There were no Oakleys in there but there a couple of pairs of
Serengeti with Sedona pink lenses, nothing makes the world look so good.
Suncloud also with pink lenses
a couple of Carerras
A pair of very tasty Porsche Design,
and another pair of Porsche Design "speedsters" which looked a bit bonkers with a nose shield
like something someone from a Marvel Comic might wear.
All gone now Sad
But I need a prescription now, so it dosn't really matter anymore.

I'd say the Sunclouds were the best ski sunglasses, but I dont think they make them the same anymore
the lenses were pink with a gradient.

The Speedsters were the maddest you could imagine, mine were silver with blue mirror lenses, I don't remember wearing them in public Cool
snow conditions
@DrLawn, resurrectionist!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy