Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Layering for Tignes mid-January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I'm going to Tignes (with UCPA) in mid-January and it'll be my third ski trip so I decided that I should get my own gear. (First trip was 20 years ago, second trip was Jan 2019.)

I learned from lots of threads here that people recommend a shell rather than insulated jacket so I got one of those (Black Diamond Recon Stretch Ski Shell). My other trips were with borrowed insulated jackets and I'd like to make sure I'm properly prepared for the change to a shell jacket. But I'm hoping that stuff I already own will be good enough for layering because buying jacket, trousers, helmet and goggles all in one go has been expensive!

In January at Val Thorens I wore this under my insulated jacket:
https://www.decathlon.com/products/womens-long-sleeve-t-shirt-techwool-190?

This was enough for all except 2 colder days (-12C feeling like -18C according to my weather app at the time), where I added a zip-up fleece.

I have the following stuff from Uniqlo which works great for Paris winters but I'm not sure how well it would work skiing:
- Various Uniqlo heattech long sleeve tops (standard warmth)
- 1 Uniqlo "extra warm" heattech long sleeve top 
- 2 Uniqlo packable down jackets
- Various Uniqlo merino wool jumpers

Questions:
1. Would you suggest I add some of the Uniqlo stuff above to my layering, and if so, which item(s)?
2. If you think the Uniqlo stuff may not be great for skiing, could you please suggest alternatives? I'm based in Paris with easy access to Decathlon but not to Aldi or Lidl, and there's no TK Maxx here.

Thanks in advance for any help, this is a great forum and lots of fun to read.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just a Welcome to SnowHeads - (can't answer your question, as I always use an insulated jacket)

Better informed peeps should be along later - after the Turkey maybe Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@syntaxfree, you’ll be fine with some of the Uniqlo stuff under the shell. Make sure you have enough room under the shell for the layers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@syntaxfree, I have friends who ski with the Uniqlo kit and find it excellent. Tignes can be very cold in January so, if you haven't already, invest in some silk glove liners and something for under your helmet - I have a balaclava which isn't stylish but is great for keeping out the cold which I picked up on a Jan trip to Tignes when it was -26!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would think your January in Val Thorens was a good experience, Tignes will not be much different. A warm base layer, a fleece and a shell will be perfect. It sounds like you have insulated trousers. Add gloves with liners and something for your face if it’s really windy and you’ll be all set.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
diaphon wrote:
I would think your January in Val Thorens was a good experience, Tignes will not be much different. A warm base layer, a fleece and a shell will be perfect. It sounds like you have insulated trousers. Add gloves with liners and something for your face if it’s really windy and you’ll be all set.

Agreed on all of this. I ski in Tignes most years in Jan, and it can get cold.

Biggest issue is high lifts with a bit of wind. Any exposed flesh will feel brutal - so, all per the post above but ensure you have -

No gaps jacket to gloves, silk liners if you get cold hands, a good (doesnt need to be expensive) neck warmer that you can pull up and cower into when its baltic.

Ensure you can close the gap jacket to neck with the neckwarmer or if it has a drawstring thingy.

Enjoy !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shell to keep the elements out
Base layer - make sure it can wick sweat away, so the sweat does not cool & give you a chill.
Mid layer - everyone is different, but its worth having a variery of different warmth/thickness & choose accordingly. Sometimes 2x thin layers can be better than 1 thick layer (or 1 long sleeve with a tee over). Something with a zip lets you zip up & zip down if you are to hot. So many options, but its really down to the individual. I personally only wear a single fleece - my other half wears a long sleeve top, Tshirt & some sort of body warmer thing.
Dont forget your legs as well! Especailly if you have shell bottoms, as there is no protection from wind chill. I wear 3/4 length tracksuit bottoms & still get cold on long chair lifts
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@syntaxfree, welcome to snowHeads. Tignes a great choice any time of season.

Good advice above, a few additions I use, or carry just in case.

SnowHeads neck buffs. Different colours available to complement outer wear.

Neoprene face mask for cold windy chairlifts or extremely cold days.

Lightweight close fitting gilet, ideally down filled.

Merino wool base layer ideally.

Lightweight thin balaclava that will fit beneath helmet.

Lightweight head cap that fits beneath helmet when not cold enough for balaclava.

Inner gloves - I prefer cheap stretchy ones beneath Hestra mittens for coldest days.

Whistle attached to outer pocket zip to indicate hot choc or soup stop needed, preferably with hug
snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@albob, thanks for the friendly welcome and you were right - they all came along as promised! Many thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I have these from my Val Thorens trip in January and will bring them again:
- 100% merino face + neck warmer with hole for the mouth
- liner gloves (cheap trekking non-silk ones because I thought they'd be more durable, but I also have Decathlon's silk liners and can bring them too) under mittens

I did get cold on lifts and at the end of the day but it wasn't too bad. I can usually handle cold better than heat - there were numerous flat stretches in Val Thorens and I was sweaty and grumpy after those!

@DJL, my base layer + fleece fit easily under the shell but I'll do a test fitting with the following combinations in case I need an extra layer:
- base + merino jumper + fleece + shell
- base + fleece + down + shell

@homphomp, I don't have anything for under the helmet except a buff which includes balaclava as one of its multiple potential uses. Will see what Decathlon has.

Yes @diaphon I have insulated trousers, and 3/4 length tights (50/50 merino/polyester blend) to wear under them.

@GreenDay, thanks for the warning about the lifts. My shell doesn't have wrist gaiters so I'll have to be careful about jacket-glove gaps.

@Mr.Egg, interesting point about 2x thin layers being better than 1 thick one. I'll try out some combinations.

@PeakyB, good idea on the whistle except I'll be in full-time lessons so am not sure how much room that'll leave for hot choc or soup stops, and any hugs will have to be from the instructor!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@syntaxfree,
Quote:

I don't have anything for under the helmet

I agree, synthetic liner gloves cheaper and harder wearing than silk.

For what they cost, and very small to carry, I have 2 head caps that fit beneath helmet. 1 thin synthetic material to help keep warmth in. Another thin water resistant one which helps when it's snowing.

Whistle good for attracting attention and emergency use* too. Cheap, light, underrated.
snowHead
* eg fallen off green track, last run of day, into the woods, getting dark, wolves & bears just emerging wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy