Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a small saunter down to Tignes with the GF in mid-January and am after some advice about the journey and what to do when we get there:

Due to being based Oop North, Google Maps is giving the distance as 900 miles or so from my front door. As neither of us want to do this all in one go, we’ve decided to do it over 3 days (and 3 days back) and make a bit of a road trip of it. Day 1 will probably consist of getting down to Dover for the first ferry with a bit of driving to somewhere slightly South of Calais. Any suggestions for a decent hotel?

Day 2 will be the long slog to somewhere like Dijon or Bourg en Bresse, again any suggestions for good hotels?

Day 3 will probably consist of a stop off in Albertville at the Ekosport there for various things that were left behind or some general retail therapy and also at an hypermarchet for food (we’re doing self catering). We’re planning a stop off in Bourg St Maurice before we attempt the last bit to VC.

As it’s mid-January, will the road up to Val Claret be reasonably clear? Also, what’s the parking situation like in Val Claret now? It’s been a few years since I last went and as I understand it, you now have to book a parking space?

I’ve got a checklist for usual things to take for driving in France as well as snow chains but wondered if there was anything bar the essentials which people have found useful?

Cheers,

Fio
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fionelo, Welcome to Snowheads. A quick search on here for driving threads will yield loads of info and tips.

3 days seems like overkill but each to their own. I would personally recommend Beaune for a stopover. Heart of red wine country.

Budget for about 80 euros if you want to park under cover.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GeorgeVII, Thanks for the recommendation! What’s the average price of a Formule1?

I think the aim was to take our time getting down there and generally see the rest of France while we go rather than just powering down the autoroutes and not really remembering much of it when we get back.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fionelo, Nothing wrong with a bit of a road trip. Couldn't comment on the price of a Formule1 stopover. I usually search bookings.com for the area where I'm planning to stay. Found Ibis okay but not always a budget option.

If you're driving a diesel try to plan your fuel top-ups so that you can fill with winter fuel close to the Alps. Excellium or something like it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fionelo, Also meant to say that it's probably worth following the Tignes thread in the snow reports section. Lots of up to date info on there plus regular weather bulletins.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

As it’s mid-January, will the road up to Val Claret be reasonably clear?

There's no telling. But I imagine you'll be hoping for fresh snow - so make sure you are handy with your snow chains. I wouldn't want to take 3 days to drive - but it certainly doesn't make sense to do the journey from the north in one. The best way to see something of France is to stay off the autoroutes - which will also save you money, provided you stick to the (sometimes unsigned) speed limits through small places (I speak from experience.... Sad .). It does make the journey endless, though, and especially in winter the stretch north of Reims is pretty dreary.

In Albertville there's a big Decathlon and Au Vieux Campeur very near the big Galerie shopping mall with a giant Géant. Ekosport is down the road in Frontenex.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are doing a bit of a roadtrip would suggest a wander in Beaune is a must. Couple of places further north are worth a short wander Troyes and Laon. Of the bigger places that I have not done, other than driving through, Reims, all the impressive champagne marques, and Dijon.

Personally I think the programme is a bit extensive - down to Dover - possibly a night in Dover to allow for travel delays on UK side - and crossing and then drive straight down BUT remember Saturdays are a devil to travel into the Tarentaise so there is an argument for Albertville overnight and a very early start on a Saturday and then ski on the Saturday as well. I used to book a late ferry crossing, Thursday, and a place in Calais for the night so one was on the road bright and early and it is a fairly unhassled drive down especially if using the toll motorways.

Another interesting diversion to see the top Burgundy vineyards is to take the route de grand crus from Dijon down through Gevrey Chambertin, Nuits St George etc or vice versa on the way back. Lovely on a quiet winter's Sunday morning - again having skied the Saturday to get 8 days skiing out of the trip. Back to, say, Chalon en Champagne, for an overnight and then up to Calais and the long drag back along chockered British motorways.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wouldn't recommend a Formule1 stopover if your with GF. Shared bathrooms/toilets are unlikely to go down well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really appreciated!

We’ve decided to start on the Wednesday mid week and get to VC early on the Saturday morning and sort out last minute things so as to avoid the usual weekend carnage that ensues during changeover weekend, which is something I remember vividly from a few years back!

Beaune’s been added to the list as well as Troyes for the way down and then take the more scenic route back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have driven to Bourg in the motorhome several times from "oop North". We usually aim for a late night crossing and stop immediately we're on the other side.
Then a drive down to Beaune on the second day and BSM on the third.

It's much more expensive but saves a days driving to take the overnight ferry (e.g. Newcastle-Amsterdam, Hull-Rotterdam)

If you are using the Autoroutes the Sanef Tag (it's changed it's name but google should find it) is very handy - no need to stop at the toll booths and fiddle with machines, just creep through the 30km gate and wait for the bleep Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are coming back through France Chartres and Evreux are pretty much on the route that avoids Paris and are nice stopovers.

Formule1 are very functional, we are happy with the Ibis level from the same chain
https://ibis.accorhotels.com/united-kingdom/index.en.shtml
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Def go for an Ibis or similar brand rather than formula1. They really are no frills.

I like this place https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1158668-d1160824-Reviews-Ibis_Budget_Dommartin_les_Cuiseaux-Dommartin_les_Cuiseaux_Saone_et_Loire_Bourgogne_Fr.html
I live in Kent and if i leave of an evening to get to Italy i can usually get here by around 1-2 in the morn (leaving mid afternoon). Its clean, safe and has secure GATED parking which when you take a roof box is a nice touch.
Calais down through Reims and Troyes should be the quickest route to Dommartin which is just north of Bourg en Bresse and is located on the motorway so is really convenient. There is a decent self service restaurant if you turn up at a decent time and also a Paul bakery for a decent breakfast if bought through Ibis.

Personally 3 days each way is a stretch...If i leave early in the morn i do Italy by the evening from Kent so you can easily do Tignes in 2 days without stressing yourself giving yourself 2 more ski days Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fionelo, a lot of people seem to opt for Calais because the crossing is cheaper and quicker, but have a look at doing a crossing from Dieppe -> Newhaven (DFDS) or Portsmouth -> Caen (Brittany).

At least then you can book a cabin and get some decent rest. Alos the Caen route gives you the option of avoiding Paris altogether by going past Le Mans & Tours
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers guys,

I definitely think that the GF will be wanting to find a decent hotel and going by reviews of formule1’s I think Ibis / equivalent will be the option!

@Sweedish, thanks for the heads up about gated, secure parking - we’ll be carrying skis and having to unload the roof every night will get fairly old fairly quickly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want a hotel close to Calais I'd recommend the Ibis Budget at St Omer. Formule 1 are a bit too basic - no en suite toilets.
ski holidays
If you want a hotel close to Calais I'd recommend the Ibis Budget at St Omer. Formule 1 are a bit too basic - no en suite toilets.
ski holidays
Fionelo, I think i've read all the various comments. Apologies if i'm repeating any.
France in January is not really to be enjoyed from a car - i would just concentrate on the journey to Tignes.
Day 1. If we are stopping soon after Calais, we used Holiday Inn Express in Arras. Parking is under hotel and secure. I presume the ski holder on your car has locks.
Day 2. Arras to Dijon is not a "long slog": you can get far further south. Certainly Albertville, maybe even Bourg. Because . . .
Day 3. You want to be up in Tignes Saturday morning. Get there early and you could get some decent skiing done.
snow report
@Fionelo, in addition to the very good suggestions of Beaune, Troyes, and Laon (though I suspect the latter will be very forlorn in January) for sightseeing stops, I will throw in Reims - the old highway almost cuts through town making a two-hour leg stretch around the cathedral very feasible.
Also, as you metion not wanting to "power down the motorway" I have a few suggestions for scenic diversions.
1. Troyes to Dijon on the D671 & 971, a slow drive through beautiful rolling countryside. Not suitable in freezing weather.
2. "Cutting the corner" between Tournus and Bourg-en-Bresse along D975, 37 & 975 again, nothing spectacular but breaks the monotony with a minimal time penalty (about 15 min extra).
3. Bellegarde-sur-Valserine to Albertville via Annecy, along D1508 to Annecy, then D909 and 909a along the east bank of Lake Annecy, then D1508 again to Albertville.
I would avoid Lyon & Chambéry altogether.
latest report
You're coming from the North, investigate the Hull-Zeebrugge overnight crossing. Only 10 hours' drive from there to Tignes.

I have a vague yen to stay in Annecy, BUT why would one waste a day's skiing when so close to the hills... Lyon is very pretty. So many places are very pretty.

"See France" - yes, you won't from the autoroutes.

And if you want a hotel with a bit more charm than an Ibis concrete box, try booking through Logis de France. No need to be more expensive, but you will find small family-run hotels.
snow report
If you are indeed oop north, have you thought about doing Hull-Zeebrugge rather than Dover-Calais? We always go that way and for us it usually works out cheaper than fuel + ferry for the same journey, plus you get a decent bed for the night.

Other than that, can't really recommend a stop-off as we almost always to Alps-Channel in one hit. Mid-January is probably the worst time of year for road conditions, but it's completely unpredictable. Could be bare tarmac all the way, could be hub-deep powder on top of ice....
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
You're coming from the North, investigate the Hull-Zeebrugge overnight crossing. Only 10 hours' drive from there to Tignes.

I am just about to book ferries and have found that the Hull /Rotterdam has not gone up in cost as much as the Dover / Dunkirk-Calais it is definitely better as you get to the continent at 8am and you don't have to drive the 220+ miles to Dover ....
ski holidays
Load the Booking.com and Accor apps on your phone and book as you go.
snow report
Quote:

I have a vague yen to stay in Annecy

Annecy can actually be rather gloomy in winter - wouldn't be my top choice.
snow report
Fionelo wrote:
As it’s mid-January, will the road up to Val Claret be reasonably clear?

As with any ski area they are pretty good at keeping roads clear but if a storm/front happens to roll in over the weekend there isn't much they can do and you will need chains. Having winter tyres helps too.

Fionelo wrote:
Also, what’s the parking situation like in Val Claret now? It’s been a few years since I last went and as I understand it, you now have to book a parking space?

Correct. Book indoor, it's only a bit extra but will keep your car snow and frost free.

I wouldn't sweat the transfer day too much in mid-Jan, it's the queitest time of the year. Obviously the weather always plays a part.

Personally I would use the opportunity to ski each of the two Saturdays by arriving early on arrival and leaving late on departure but that's because I want to maximise my slope time more than anything else.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Personally I would use the opportunity to ski each of the two Saturdays by arriving early on arrival and leaving late on departure but that's because I want to maximise my slope time more than anything else.

Plus Saturday is the quietest day of the week on the slopes.
snow conditions
Thanks once again guys!

Definitely looking at getting both Saturdays in as skiing days as we’re booked into the apartment for the whole week, which will give us time to get the kit out with a bit of skiing before we check in, as well as a bit of post-check-out-end-end-of-holiday-blues skiing as well.

Does anyone know what the rough cost of tolls is?
ski holidays
Fionelo wrote:
Does anyone know what the rough cost of tolls is?

Was about £150 (pounds not Euros) for me in March - standard car, standard route, APRR doofer.
ski holidays
If you use via Michelin to map your route it will calculate the tolls.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duplicate

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 12-11-18 18:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
go via Luxembourg ..cheap fuel and you can use the N roads.its a nice run and the scenery is great ..especially dropping down towards Geneva.no tolls. I have quite happily done Rotterdam - Geneva in the one day ...if you are relly not in a hurry ther e is a little resort you pass through on the way ..La Rousses https://www.lesrousses.com/
ski holidays
If you decide to go Dover-Calais, then Le Val Moret (https://www.le-val-moret.com/en/) in Magnant just SE of Troyes is a popular stop-over with Snowheads. It's a 3* Logis motel with parking outside the rooms (reassuring, security-wise) and a good but unpretentious restaurant serving local Champagnes. It also has an indoor swimming pool and sauna, which is great after a long drive. It's only a few minutes off the Autoroute so easy to find. I'd recommend a balcony room as you can leave the windows open at night if you want fresh air.
ski holidays
DaveD wrote:
go via Luxembourg ..cheap fuel and you can use the N roads.its a nice run and the scenery is great ..especially dropping down towards Geneva.no tolls. I have quite happily done Rotterdam - Geneva in the one day ...if you are relly not in a hurry ther e is a little resort you pass through on the way ..La Rousses https://www.lesrousses.com/

I personally wouldn't go that far out my way to save on fuel, which may be negated by the extra distance anyhow. I would however make sure I take minor diversions off the motorway to refuel at large supermarkets as you can save a few quid with minor inconvenience.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
DaveD wrote:

I personally wouldn't go that far out my way to save on fuel, which may be negated by the extra distance anyhow. I would however make sure I take minor diversions off the motorway to refuel at large supermarkets as you can save a few quid with minor inconvenience.

Its not the fuel ..which is great ..but the saving on tolls ..€ 150 in total and he would be coming from Rotterdam rather than Calais..it takes a bit longer but equate that with not having to drive the 220 miles + from "up North" its about 12 hours from Rotterdam ..9.5 hours from Calais
latest report
DaveD wrote:
Layne wrote:
DaveD wrote:

Its not the fuel ..which is great ..but the saving on tolls ..€ 150 in total and he would be coming from Rotterdam rather than Calais..it takes a bit longer but equate that with not having to drive the 220 miles + from "up North" its about 12 hours from Rotterdam ..9.5 hours from Calais

Gotcha. If you are time rich it's certainly a consideration.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I have a vague yen to stay in Annecy

Annecy can actually be rather gloomy in winter - wouldn't be my top choice.

I've only stopped there in April briefly on the way back from the EOSB. Beautifully sunny and with a lake. Sure you're right about December though.
snow conditions
we have 4 hours from home to the tunnel so stay at hotel B&B at Saint-Parres-aux-tertres a few hundred yards from the E17 at Troyes. Simple with good parking. Italian restaurant next door which is OK and your usual fast foods within a couple of mins walk. Also a Buffalo grill that I've never tried anywhere in france so have no idea what its like. There is a large Leclerc opposite with fuel and garage should you need repairs. About 5 1/2 from Bourg so shopping done and all sorted for tea time beers
In the Troyes area I've stayed at Ome Sweet Home that's east of the e17 with nice rooms and pool which was fab in the summer. This year I'm trying Domaine de la Foret which looks good and was recommended by a French friend
snow report
ipken wrote:
Buffalo grill that I've never tried anywhere in france so have no idea what its like.

Buffalo Grill is tops. It's a family tradition for us.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy