Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roadblocks in France Sat 17 Nov, now ongoing

Poster: A snowHead
Seemingly 'the peasants are revolting' next Saturday with roadblocks to protest about fuel prices. Not sure how extensive it will be but glad I'm travelling on Sunday. More details in local.fr

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 18-11-18 21:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway,
When do you arrive in resort?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I cannot imagine why they would block the road from Les Arcs to Bourg so I doubt if it woul affect me
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tignes addict, if all goes to plan......late sun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
I cannot imagine why they would block the road from Les Arcs to Bourg so I doubt if it woul affect me

Back in the summer they very successfully blocked the N90 at Albertville for a few hours over lunchtime. Simply burnt some tyres on one of the key roundabouts ... Caused gridlock surprisingly quickly, no sign of the Gendarmerie or Pompiers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FFS I'm taking the Channel Tunnel to drive to the Ghent six day on Saturday. Maybe if the blockade does start at 2pm we'll *just* about make it through the Calais one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did the journey today. Still lots of manifestations. French diesel is now the same price as petrol in France and broadly equal to the UK..
I pulled off the autoroute to go to a cheap fuel station, but was stopped less than a mile off the motorway. A quick u turn fixed that. I bought on the motorway, the irony was not lost on me Very Happy .
Next stop was the big peace near Lyon. We were shunted into 2lanes and one of the yellow jackets told me to take the doofer out of the window, in English!, as it had been declared free, I will see how that works out.....

They had then blocked the westbound VRU in Chambery, luckily I was heading east.

It looks like this has legs , so fill up at Dover and be prepared for delays.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do the French ever do any work.

Always on strike.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The main Road between Thonon and Geneva was blocked this AM, the protestors were only letting 2 or 3 vehicles through at a time.
It seems from the banners they had at the roadblock (French Flags & Union Banners), this peoples' protest seems to have been hijacked by the Unions and the Nationalists.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When the state spends years encouraging people to buy diesel cars, aided and abetted by the, mostly state owned, car industry and then increases the diesel price by somewhere around 25% in less than 12 months, purely by adding tax then it seems to me a protest is entirely justified. Whether the french way of protesting is the right one well.... Laughing Must be busy in Luxembourg at the moment though Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skitow, As you say, the whole shebang is pretty much of the state's making, but the protestors are not targeting the state.
It is intimidating going though the barricades, having the car surrounded and having to wind the window down to engage before you can continue. As I said there was an ugly edge of Nationalism, as the protestors were asking if you were going into Switzerland to work. ( Not sure how that is relevant to the price of diesel in France, but ironically Switzerland has always had an aggressive tax policy towards diesel cars, and petrol is often cheaper in Switzerland than France).
I agree 100% that there is justification in the anger at the state ( lets face it most countries do stuff that pisses off the population a lot of the time), but the protestors need to find a more creative way of targeting the state rather then the public at large, as the "widespread support" will soon fade away.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, Don't think I disagree with anything you say there, I remember going through some of the protests near the ports years ago when british beef was not flavour of the month, intimidating yes, that's what I meant about protesting the french way, often illogical too.
I just have a bit of a thing about the "demonisation" of diesel. Through the good work of engineers and scientists we have now got to the stage where a 44t truck (including it's load of 24t of camembert, stella or whatever, can cover getting on for 10 miles on 1 gallon of diesel with very low emissions. If you stand by the side of the truck and compare the size of a 1 gallon can to the size of the truck I think it;s quite an achievement. I accept that thousands of trucks every day still adds up to a lot of something coming out of the exhausts and we should look at other fuels but it seems to me governments have now seen diesel as a easy target, cash cow. Should I be surprised, probably not....... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skitow, Yup, my diesel car has a Euro 6 cat engine and is basically no more polluting than a petrol version. The particulate filters avoid the old style PM10 issues.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the Dauphine:
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, the protest went really well, only one protester died after a woman in her car panicked because the protesters we’re banging on her roof and drove through them, and dozens of others injured by irate motorists...........
snow report
The one on the A16 outside Calais didn't exactly have a nice vibe but with 5 of us in the car I never felt threatened and we made our crossing OK on Sunday. Some friends were less lucky however and were delayed 6 hours Shocked
ski holidays
My friend got held up in Albertville on Saturday night for about an hour. He thought the protesters looked rather well off, had consumed a fair bit of alchohol and seemd to be having a rowdy party in the middle of the road. We got held up for a short time at Chambery on Sunday and explored th eback roads to get passed them. I didn't dare tell them that diesel was still more expensive in the UK and that environmental protesters had bloacked bridges in London to protest against the use of fossil fuel instead of making it cheeper.
snow conditions
Chatting in Tignes this morning it seems like this is just the starter for more protests against Macron. Diesel now, the rest will follow.
snow conditions
@chocksaway,

Isn't it the people who put Macron in power who are protesting?

I am pretty sure they didn't vote for le Pen
latest report
@Tignes addict, Yip, I think his honeymoon is over. I wouldn't mind a few bob on a bet that Melenchons team are orchestrating some of this.
snow report
Still blocking the Viaduct in le Fayet below Chamonix, cars can get through (slowly) but trucks are not.
snow conditions
Just checked my account for the journey down on the peage, seems too be €30 less than last year - not sure how long the Peage companies will stand for this.....
snow report
They get no sympathy from me.
snow report
They've got braziers, gazebos and sofas here!
latest report
Why would your peage bill be less?
ski holidays
Because they took over the toll booth area and the protestors declared it free. As the barriers were up (only 2 out of 15ish) there was no record of people passing and therefore no bill.
snow conditions
This map might help plan trips.
Not sure if it’s kept up to date.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20181106/map-where-in-france-you-should-expect-road-blocks-this-november
latest report
It's very localized and semi-random.

I was in southern France for most of the past week and saw none at all.

Lots of talk and hype. Little action.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I traveled from calais to nyon in switzerland last sunday. Spotted one on the motorway going towards calais and was stopped by one in the jura. No hassle, less than ten mins delay asked if I would sign a petition, which I declined. I need to go to cham and I understand there’s one at the bottom of the viaduct.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

It's very localized and semi-random.
I was in southern France for most of the past week and saw none at all.
Lots of talk and hype.
Little action.

Yes
Lucky you
Yes
Plenty of action today, they are blocking the toll road at St Michel hoping the traffic will back up to the Frejus tunnel, I expect they are hoping it will have to be closed. Meanwhile, its the RN 90 (local road) in Albertville and there is a protest in the centre of Moutiers which seems to revolve around persuading everybody to use cash in the local shops so the government don't get the tax.......... (how very '50s French) It appears to be kicking off in Paris, the authorities granted permission to meet at the Eiffel Tower, but there are 3 groups aiming to block roads.
snow report
idiots.
snow report
Geneva to Chamonix and back today not a sign of anyone. Maybe some over the weekend. All the speed cameras looked trashed!
The diesel prices have really shot up now a lot more than petrol, no wonder folks are not happy.
snow report
@under a new name, now I get your nom du plume! was your old name Benito or Adolf?
snow report
Mont Blanc roundabout (the one you take to go up to the tunnel) closed to HGV's by the guys in Yellow. Saw them try and stop a UK reg truck coming off the roundabout, they were trying to wave it over and the driver was having none of it. Didn't see how it eneded we wer too busy trying not to get stuck.
snow report
@Super Steezy, Addie.

Lost the tache though, in disguise.
latest report
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle Retweeted
#GiletsJaunes ⚠️ Manifestations #1erdecembre sur @sanef_autoroute et aux abords de certaines villes comme #Calais, déconseillée d'accès. @Prefet62
Le point à 14h30 ⏩ http://bit.ly/2PfbNs5
Translated from French by Microsoft
#GiletsJaunes ⚠️ Demonstrations #1erdecembre on @sanef_autoroute and on the outskirts of some cities as #Calais, not advisable to access. @Prefet62 the point at 2:30 pm ⏩ http://bit.ly/2PfbNs5
ski holidays
Lol.

ski holidays
Life in the EU, eh?
ski holidays
Life in the EU, eh?
ski holidays
The French are revolting! Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy