Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RECCO - a new position

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may remember my rather outspoken anti RECCO stance. This was due to what I believed to be a very unhelpful message, namelty that RECCO was better than nothing while at the same time, statistics show that the time it takes to get a RECCO detector to site means there is a good chance that it is only searching for a body.

However, I am pleased to report that there seems to be a major shift in the RECCO position and that they are now moving towards a stance of "give yourself an extra chance". As part of an overall strategy for being rescued, it seems to make sense as a RECCO detector can find somebody quicker than a bleep (in many circumstances). However, RECCO are now stressing that self rescue should be the aim.

So, now to give yourself the best chance of surviving an avalanche, all you need is an ABS back pack filled with prope and shovel, an avalung, a tranceiver, mobile phone and RECCO. Add to that a helmet and back protector. Then cost in the use of a guide and back country skiing is getting really expensive. And are the number of deaths going down?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy