Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many weeks skiing per year to justify economically buying your own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
@cameronphillips2000, Spot on.

I would add that there are a couple of more intellectually valid reasons, as well:

Time spent waiting in hire shops can be spent skiing.

You can ski those odd bits of days when you arrive in resort early or are leaving late.

You can be certain what you are clipping into.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, I guess I'm a fairly new skiier - 5 years under my belt, typically twice a year. Snowboarded before - but have always rented and had cheap gear (Dare2b, etc).

This year I've bought pretty much everything new (apart from boots, which I bought last year - for earlier this year's season).. I also bought some all mountain skis too. Not the best, hopefully not the worst, but my thought train were what pretty much every else has said, with the main reason being if a place comes available on a bash, I'll have everthing I need to just go for it (or, a last minute cheap deal too).

Other than that, I want to progress my ability - so having different skis each year from the hire shop, of difference lengths/widths under foot due to what is available isn't going to help me in the short term - so I though bug it and went for it. Santa will probably miss my house this year, but I'm pleased I now have everything I need that's reasonable in quality snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+ forgot to say, I'd rather spend my money on snow stuff, rather than wasting it on other stuff I don't get as much pleasure out of Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="under a new name"][quote="Martin & Ami"]
Mjit wrote:
martinm wrote:
I'd really like to hear from someone who can name a shop where they offer brand new ski's at the start of every season. It doesnt even make economic/business sense and I've no idea why the idea keeps getting pedaled. Of course the ski's have to be new at some point, but doesn't mean they are refreshed year after year at enormous cost.

Anyway, perhaps thats derailling the thread somewhat, but it is relevant. People shouldn't be turning up to a hire shop expecting current season gear, imo.

Both ConceptPro and Sole in Chamonix do.

Without question.

I’d be amazed if FB in Morzine doesn’t any more.

I’d be amazed if any decent shop didn’t.

How else would they sell kit?

I could be very wrong, but I think martinm was talking about the shop's hire fleet, not the retail skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tom Doc, which is exactly what I’m talking about.

Hire fleet of brand new skis. In all three examples, high end as well, e.g. Concept have this year’s Mantra to rent.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
The proper skiers seem to have an on piste and off piste pair these days. The cost of getting your skis there and a decent service does make renting by far the cheaper option.

There are some distinct advantages to owning your own though:

Getting them out if the garage and lookibg at them for two weeks before you go
Leaving them against the side of your house for where whilst loading your car so your neighbours kbow your'e a skier

Carrying them through the airport so fellow passengers know you are a skier and, therefore, better than them.

You can choose your own colour.

You can bore everyone with why you bought them and what a great decision you made which will impress them as they will think you're an expert on skis and will be impressed

You can get them stolen, claim on the insurance and buy a new pair.

You can put them on the roof of your car to show people you ski

You can look at them.longingly whilst putting your.lawnmower Inthe garage I. Summer months

You can wear them when it snows I. The UK and impress anyone that sees you

You won't get ripped off by ski hire cartels - see St Anton - above

A few other points:

1. Great for a weekend trip when you can go straight onto the mountain and ski as late as possible without worrying about hire shops on last day.
2. You can also subtract the resale price from your initial outlay. Only last week I was telling my wife that my skis are worth approximately 80% of initial value after 5 years (15 weeks) use Toofy Grin . I was waiting for her to point out that I never sell any, but glad she didn’t.
3. I like shiny stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
“my skis are worth approximately 80% of initial value after 5 years (15 weeks) use”

Really?

I really don’t think so Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, perhaps his wife is less well informed about the value of second hand skis than you Smile

Anyway it is not unknown for husbands to be economical with the truth when talking to their wives Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
“my skis are worth approximately 80% of initial value after 5 years (15 weeks) use”

Really?

I really don’t think so Puzzled

Sorry for the confusion, I thought the emoji gave it away.

In any case I’d let a Snowhead have them for 55% of my purchase price.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

Hire fleet of brand new skis. In all three examples, high end as well, e.g. Concept have this year’s Mantra to rent.

Ok. Sorry! Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had my first week skiing on hired skis and boots, and then bought a pair of boots. There was no real economy considered, it was all about comfort.

Then 5 weeks and 3 days with my own boots, and 2 days with hire boots and skis in NZ.

Purchased skis and still have the same pair 17 years later. I got another pair of boots 11 years after the first pair when the first pair were pinched!
(who steals a 10 year old pair of worn smelly ski boots?)

In those 17 years it has most definately been economical to have my own skis. The main reason why is because I drive and ski rather than fly and stay a week. Also I spent months at a time in Europe skiing in the noughties, in many different resorts, so it would have been a nightmare cost wise hiring and living in a van.

In Scotland, people tend to ski one day at a time. Mainly weather restricted, and ski hire queues for one day hire can be a problem especially if you do not get there early enough and the snow is good. Having an old pair of skis, you are not afraid to hit a rock or two.

Then there is the ski touring days in Scotland when you hike up a hill with your skis, and find some fresh snow to play on. Having your own skis which you service yourself is all about being able to take opportunities when they come. You cannot really hire for those days.

It is horses for courses, but you will know when the time is right to buy a pair of skis. It is something you know, rather than need to be told. It is a religion, you have to believe and have faith!

Very Happy

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The real answer is - As many or few weeks as you want it to be.

Valid economic arguments can be made for 1 week or never buying, just pick the ones that suit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

I think it would make a lot more sense for a shop to do that in somewhere like Chamonix but I don't go there as I tend to favour smaller resorts. Economies of scale I suppose.

In say Skiset, when they run their 50% discounts, it's about EUR70 per week for ski's and boots. Thats for the old stuff I was talking about. What does it typically cost for that new kit in Chamonix? Say, an intermediate set not the bargain basement stuff?

Theres no one size fits all approach to the original question anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depending on how you cost your time it may make sense to just buy some skis and not read this thread on how many weeks you need to ski for it to make economic sense to buy skis.

Another question should be: How long does a snowheads thread about the economics of buying skis have to be for it to be uneconomic to read the thread and just buy some Be Nice please! skis?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

You won't get ripped off by ski hire cartels - see St Anton - above

You’ve noticed these daylight robbers in action too. I’ve seen people in 2012 piste skis and get charged €180 a week
ski holidays
[quote="Tom Doc"][quote="under a new name"]
Martin & Ami wrote:
Mjit wrote:
martinm wrote:
I'd really like to hear from someone who can name a shop where they offer brand new ski's at the start of every season. It doesnt even make economic/business sense and I've no idea why the idea keeps getting pedaled. Of course the ski's have to be new at some point, but doesn't mean they are refreshed year after year at enormous cost.

Anyway, perhaps thats derailling the thread somewhat, but it is relevant. People shouldn't be turning up to a hire shop expecting current season gear, imo.

Both ConceptPro and Sole in Chamonix do.

Without question.

I’d be amazed if FB in Morzine doesn’t any more.

I’d be amazed if any decent shop didn’t.

How else would they sell kit?

I could be very wrong, but I think martinm was talking about the shop's hire fleet, not the retail skis.

I think the quotes got muddled - that wasn't mine Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
You pay your money and you take your chances.

If you go skiing in spring and rent, then your 'new-for-the-season' rentals may well have seen (assuming 50%) 5 or 6 weeks hire. So if you ski 1 week/year they are already 5-6 yrs old. 2weeks a year, 2-3yrs old. Add on a couple of years because, let's face it, we all know that rentals get treated like rentals. We've all seen folk push the end of the piste, not give a toss in general about looking after them.

When you own them you remember every ding.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:

I would add that there are a couple of more intellectually valid reasons, as well:

Time spent waiting in hire shops can be spent skiing.

That only works if everyone in your group owns their own kit, otherwise you spend time waiting for friends in hire shops*

* Which leads to browsing, which leads to coming out either with some piece of ski tat you don't need Smile
ski holidays
@Mjit, No friends on powder day!
snow conditions
leggyblonde wrote:
@Mjit, No friends on powder day!

Friends are the best think about a powder day, especially when you get stuck in an avalanche or tree well....
snow report
dode wrote:
we all know that rentals get treated like rentals. We've all seen folk push the end of the piste, not give a toss in general about looking after them.

I'm just wondering how the performance of skis is reduced because they 'haven't been looked after'. What moving parts a pair of skis has. How a scratched top-sheet reduces their maximum speed.
snow report
More down to how how bad they look at the end of the week so if they get put back on the rack or in the service pile.

Get a pair that's been looked after by the last renter or two and it might not have seen a file or any wax for a couple of weeks either. Get a pair someone's skied door-to-door even though they are in the valley village and across the main road and they would have been thrown through the servicing machine so might actually perform better.
snow report
I live about an hour away from Glenshee and owning my own kit has really paid off for me there. I can nip up for a half day at virtually no expense and the slopes are pretty quiet for the first hour or so as folk queue to rent. Like others have said removing the stress of the rental shop, both picking up and dropping is a bonus too. Whilst my kids were at school joining a massive queue in the school hols, you’ve booked ‘platinum’ on skiset and the punter in the job palms you off with some old garbage. I ended up getting the whole fam skis. I’d put 5 sets in 2 ski bags so the carriage wasn’t too bad. I’ve had my current skis for about 10 years, Head Peak 78’s. Still very good skis. Serviced as required. It’s not about the cash really, just de-stressing what can be a pretty stressful rental experience.
ski holidays
I agree. It’s not just about the money. Skiing is a technical, equipment-centric sport so being on the right ski is critical to one’s enjoyment. Why spend all that money on the trip itself and then make the trip less enjoyable by scrimping on one of the most important items?

I also agree with Dave of the Marmottes that renting standard piste skis is much easier than anything wider. I got stuck in Whistler 8 years ago with heavy snow yet to my astonishment was unable to rent anything over 88 underfoot other than one impossibly demanding and stiff big mountain ski. Though there seems to be an ever-increasing fleet of forgiving rental Rossi powder skis on the slopes these days.

Have had some success with narrower rentals though. With a bit if planning I have scored Kaestle MX83s and 74s on recent trips. Hugely discounted rental price thanks to prebooking via Skiset, and doubly attractive financially because of high RRP to buy Kaestles.
latest report
As per Fifespud, I like to just jump in the car if the forecast looks good & head to Glenshee & owning a pair makes it easy & the skiing cheap as all you need is £30 for the lift pass. The other issue for me is that at 6'3" i have been forced onto some utterly horribly & fantastically short (for me) pairs of skis when I've rented, not to mention that they've often been really rubbish skis at that. I mainly ski in Scotland & NZ & the rental stock I've seen would be flattered to be called basic.
ski holidays
I should say that the cross erected on Ben Ledi in my previous post was in memory of a local policeman who died in a helicopter crash in 1987 when trying to rescue a climber who had fallen on Ben More. A volunteer for the Killin mountain rescue in Scotland.

Ben More was snow covered at the time. I have climbed Ben More, and the neighbouring peak Stob Binnein when it was not snow covered. It is very steep at the peak, soft grass all over no trees, and sheep. It can get icy, and slippy.

Probably a black run, from the peak!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy