Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching friends in France - allowed?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

Just curious as I know the rules keep changing and France hate anyone other than them doing anything remotely relating to ski instruction. I'm on Erasmus near French alps and lots of friends(beginners) want to learn how to ski. I said I would be happy to help them as long as they paid my lift pass. I already have basi level 1, training for level 2.

Would I get in trouble on the bunny hill teaching with say 4 beginners(all friends)? I don't want to end up in trouble with basi or esf, but as a student, I understand skiing is expensive as it is for beginners - lift pass, ski hire, transport, ski clothing etc - not including lessons and want to help them out.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Technically, if they're paying for your lift pass then you're getting paid and it's not legit. In practise, you're unlikely to get much hassle if it's a one-off. If you get seen with the same group, at the same time every day for a week, questions might get asked. If you get queried, just be honest - you're a bunch of mates from Uni, you're an experienced skier and you're helping your friends learn because you're a nice guy.

On top of that, just don't be a dick about it. Don't get in the way of ski-schools or moan if other schools get in your way. Be polite and discrete and you'll be fine.

Chambery? My brother did his Erasmus year there. I did mine in Tarbes in the Pyrenees and 20 years later I'm married to the girl I met there and living full-time in the mountains!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep quiet about the lift pass as it may be construed as payment........
Otherwise should be fine
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd also, to the extent possible, try and not look like a trainee ski instructor!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't wear anything connected with BASI or instruction. Possibly don't be too overtly instructor like - be a bit more like a mate & vary your location.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't try to bed all the local talent or they'll definitely think you're an instructor. Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Don't try to bed all the local talent or they'll definitely think you're an instructor.

Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd wrote:
Technically, if they're paying for your lift pass then you're getting paid and it's not legit. In practise, you're unlikely to get much hassle if it's a one-off. If you get seen with the same group, at the same time every day for a week, questions might get asked. If you get queried, just be honest - you're a bunch of mates from Uni, you're an experienced skier and you're helping your friends learn because you're a nice guy.

On top of that, just don't be a dick about it. Don't get in the way of ski-schools or moan if other schools get in your way. Be polite and discrete and you'll be fine.

Chambery? My brother did his Erasmus year there. I did mine in Tarbes in the Pyrenees and 20 years later I'm married to the girl I met there and living full-time in the mountains!

Oh okay cool thanks for the advice! Yeah was planning on keeping a low profile although i don’t know how feasible that is with a (no doubt screaming) group of girls. Will take advice and not wear anything BASI related or mention to anyone I have BASI qualifications and of course the keep quiet about any money arrangements!

I’m in Grenoble! Ah that’s interesting!! We were just studying a text today actually about babies that have been conceived from Erasmus couples aha! Would love to live in the alps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for the response! Much appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lski, depends why they’re screaming Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lski, Do be aware that you should be insured as an instructor, and even if you are, it may not be valid in the situation you are describing.

In the very unlikely event that one of your party got injured, you might be in the very unfortunate position of them "turning" on you, and going after you for compensation etc. This could be on top of any medical insurance claim they may make on their own insurance — which most likely does not cover loss of income, loss of function long-term etc.

Remember — "No good deed goes un-punished". I've sadly, seen that pan-out a number of times in my life.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@lski, Are there no organized trips from the university that would provide reduced cost lift passes and tuition ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BASI 1 doesn't qualify you to teach on a mountain, does it? If you weren't qualified in any way there really wouldn't be a problem - lots of people teach friends and family to ski. @Poogle has a point about the danger of anything going wrong, but you couldn't insure yourself professionally to do something you're not qualified to do. And if your prospective pupils are so daft that you expect them to be "screaming" I'd point them in the direction of a ski school, if I were you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poogle wrote:
@lski, Do be aware that you should be insured as an instructor, and even if you are, it may not be valid in the situation you are describing.

In the very unlikely event that one of your party got injured, you might be in the very unfortunate position of them "turning" on you, and going after you for compensation etc. This could be on top of any medical insurance claim they may make on their own insurance — which most likely does not cover loss of income, loss of function long-term etc....

If you are insured as an instructor, and anyone makes a claim, you may then find that the French come after you for being unqualified. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you act entirely as a mate on holiday teaching other mates on holiday to ski you will have no issue. If anyone wants to make it more than that in terms of responsibility, ski away.
ski holidays
king key wrote:
Don't try to bed all the local talent or they'll definitely think you're an instructor. Cool

.. or turn up 15 minutes late because you were teaching a private lesson in another resort
.. or take them to your mates overpriced mountain restaurant so you can eat for free
.. or tell them they are Gold Level after 2 weeks so you can sell them a badge for EUR9-
.. or just focus on your good looking mate at the front of the group while ignoring the carnage further back
.. or skiing in front of the group without really engaging as if to say "Look at me, aren't I great?"
.. or wearing a red jacket, sunglasses and no helmet in all conditions

Avoid these obvious give-aways and you'll be just fine.
latest report
lski wrote:
group of girls.

I'd also be *really* careful about teaching a group, especially if they are beginners and you are going to have them doing "something" one at a time, that is going to stand out as instructing PDQ
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy