Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceivers and mobile phones - the answer!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HellesAngel, not necessarily "badly wrong", nor does it mean that they are close to killing everyone.
The previous plane landing may have been too slow to clear the runway, or one taking off may have been blocking it. Doesn't mean the easyJet pilot got something badly wrong!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HellesAngel wrote:
Well of course, but it's hardly a 'normal procedure'. It often indicates that something went badly wrong and crashing & killing are not far distant possibilities.

It is quite normal and can be for several reasons. High cross winds, command from tower as previous plane is not off runway, minor warning indicators, pilot error of coming in slightly fast/high, etc...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As said, A go around is usually so that the plane does not get anywhere near a dangerous situation so is usually perfectly safe..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In this case the pilot said it was because turbulence caused by the plane in front made the plane too wobbly to land (not his exact words). It was much more of an irritation than a near death experience as it delayed us half an hour but still far from 'normal'. I'm not blaming easyJet for anything except an announcement that was rather short on reality - my idea of 'normal' on a flight is not multiple attempts at landing for 'operational reasons' or anything else. Still, this is wandering off topic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HellesAngel, that is called wake turbulence and is swirls of air coming off the wing tips of aircraft, if there is little wind these swirls can be like miniature tornados and can be dangerous to trailing aircraft. This is completely normal...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love the fact that petrol stations still ban mobiles even though there are engines starting and stopping all over them. The ban dates from the very first uses of mobiles when there hadn't been much testing concerning explosion risk. Although I wouldn't like to use one whilst holding the pump, you can see the vapour swirling in bright light conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HellesAngel,

I'd say that was fairly well handled. Being in the middle of flying an aircraft the pilot can't spend 10 min explaining why he's doing a particular maneouvre (plus it would be chinese to most people) and what else could he say? "Christ Folks!!! I thought we were into the ground for a sec there, but we're ok now. We'll give it another go see if we can do this without crashing..."
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a similar experience coming in Brussels once, except that we went into fighter plane mode and executed a very tight climb & left turn with engines screaming just before touch down Shocked The capn came on to explain that this is normal procedure when there's another plane on the runway you want to land on. No problem at all rolling eyes Certainly built my confidence in Belgian air traffic control!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just noticed that this a thread for exchanging insults about Transceivers and Mobile Phones! Why are we talking about EasyJet and iffy landings?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler - The pilot's explanation was fine, he stated in understandable English what happened, without over or understating anything. The bit I found amusing was the 'calm the cattle' recorded message they played first. Granted they have to play something to calm the nervous but the content was, IMHO, vaguely absurd and had the usual non-explanation of 'operational reasons', like when they say the plane is late leaving because it arrived late Puzzled. It's off topic and I never intended to hijack the discussion the but more interesting to most people, it seems.

Over to you Mike: Back to mobile phones, EMI, and finding friends in the snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HellesAngel,

Sorry, misunderstood what your were talking about a recorded message. Embarassed

As Mike Lawrie said: let's get back to throwing abuse at each others about transceivers! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My home PC has just died, so do I replace PC and get the avalanche forecasts or buy my BCA Tracker (to be kept 6" from my switched on phone unless deep back country). Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just out of interest I took two Ortovox F1 transceivers into the garden and tested whether there was any discernable difference between operating with a) a mobile in IDLE mode held in contact (i.e 0 cm between mobile and F1) with the searching F1, and b) doing the same thing with the mobile on a call. This was a 3G call, so I should really test with a 2G call as well.
Results
a) No difference whatsoever
b) Increase in noise produced by the F1, but it still appeared to be working and detected the other F1 as expected
Puzzled
Oh well!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy