Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg to Kaprun on Sunday night Help needed

Poster: A snowHead
I'm arriving in Salzburg airport on Sunday at 16.10 going to Kaprun.
The last bus leaves at 16.50.
What's my best option and with whom. I had planned to drive but would rather not unless it's the only option. Private transfer that I've looked at is very expensive
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a sort of hourly train to Zell am See (some direct, some one change) whether there is a linking bus that late to Kaprun I am uncertain. At the moment the OBB website appears not to want to provide the required information. You can get a bus from airport to the station. Otherwise there are some quite decent and reasonable hotels/B&Bs around the airport but then you miss skiing the following morning as you are travelling.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. How far is the train station from the airport?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Assuming you mean this Sunday, there is a train shortly after 17:00 from Salzburg Hbf to Zell an See with a bus from Zell to Kaprun (look up https://www.oebb.at/en/) . There are later trains but you will have to get a taxi from Zell. There is a Europe wide time table change around the 8th December so things might change slightly or not be confirmed yet after that date.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, Thanks for your help.

I've been somewhat under the weather and had planned to drive but would like to take the train.
Is it an easy station to get too.
I can get picked up the other end
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a bus connection between the airport and Hbf see https://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/flights-arrival/arrival-to-the-airport/public-transportation/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The airport is pretty central, less than 5km (3 miles) from the central train station. According to google maps the bus takes 16 minutes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LeglesWonder, If you can get collected in Zell the trip is pretty easy. As said above there is a train about every hour, sometimes you have to change but no big deal. The main train station in Salzburg is not a bad place as these things go. If you have to wait for a while for the next train there are a number of bars and coffee places. You can buy the ticket online using the link above. Hope there is a decent amount of snow on the Kitzsteinhorn. I must say I much prefer the train to driving much more relaxing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks All!
I'm going to go for the bus, if I can make it?
If not I'll get the train.
I was going to drive but have been off with a virtual infection. But on the mend.
I'm going on a Steep skiing All Mountain course. So don't want to miss out.
Fingers crossed for an on schedule flight
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LeglesWonder, Just in case this is of use, if you arrive in Zell early enough the bus from Zell train station to Kaprun is the 660, which leaves from opposite the station at 18.23 and 19.23 (the last one), taking circa 20 mins - would save someone coming to fetch you. A single costs €3.70. Don't be tempted to get the local train to Kaprun as the stop (Fuerth-Kaprun) is a couple of miles outside the town.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Just had a look at the ÖBB Website. It looks like the 17:08 from Salzburg train Station to Zell am Zee (arriving at 18:45) is the one to get. Then as hilary t says the 660 Bus @ 19:23 from Zell to Kapun. If you are pushed for time then probably best to get a taxi from the airport to the train station in Salzburg.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is all very helpful. And very much appreciated.
Thank you for your responses and timetables. Im not sure when I'm coming back yet. It's all open ended depending on snow conditions but the course finishes on the Thursday. Have any of you skied there this early? More importantly skied off piest there in November.
There's not great amount of new snow but enough to get going
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LeglesWonder wrote:
This is all very helpful. And very much appreciated.
Thank you for your responses and timetables. Im not sure when I'm coming back yet. It's all open ended depending on snow conditions but the course finishes on the Thursday. Have any of you skied there this early? More importantly skied off piest there in November.
There's not great amount of new snow but enough to get going

Looks like there's piste skiing above the Alpincentre at 2500m. There's not normallly offpiste skiing available at this time of year.

https://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/webcams/c519/

https://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/webcams/c521/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, Yes I'd have thought that off piste would be unlikely but it's part of the course in going on.
All will be revealed I'm sure.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LeglesWonder, It can be very variable in November. Some years there is loads of snow and Zell am See is open at this time (as in 2017). Local reports today are that the snow is nice at the very top, but that cover is a bit thin and sugary over the lower runs to the Alpincentre and that it moguls up quite quickly on piste as the day progresses. Snow cannons were working above Gletscherjet 3 early this morning, but then it became too warm to run them. Sadly no significant precipitation currently forecast for this week. However, your instructors should always be able to find something to work on, whatever the conditions. Three years ago it was the same and I felt that I learnt quite a bit in the week that I was there. Hope you have a good time and leave some snow for me for next week!
snow conditions
@hilary t,. Looking forward to it. I've just extended my stay. I've got some work to get on with after being layed up. So may as well use the laptop there as anywhere then go for a ski or visa versa
ski holidays
I skied on the Kitzsteinhorn yesterday and today and can confirm hilary_t's report. Skiing is only possible down to the Alpincenter but the snow is pretty good above that, given some moguls and a few icy patches. I wouldn't say that it was possible to ski off piste. At least this week, as opposed to earlier visits, the Schmiedinger chairlift was running, which made another interesting piste available. Enjoy your course!
latest report
Bus to the Salzburg Main Station
Train To Zell am Zee
Taxi to Karun

Austrian Railways are Brilliant.

Good luck on your course
ski holidays
@espri, Thanks.. The Steep skiing course is my reason to go. Last year I was in Cervinia in November. This year they have more than there fare share of snow.
That's the chance you take.
snow report
@DrLawn, Thanks. I do like the train. All part of the holiday.
snow conditions
The Schmiedinger piste should be good for a Steep course. And to me the Maurer glacier looked (from a distance) almost skiable. Maybe they're keeping it for you Laughing Sadly no Black Mamba.
latest report
@espri, Yes maybe..I'm sure they've got something entertaining for use.. It would have been a bonus if Black Mamba was a go
Save that for another year
snow conditions
@espri, I skied the Schmiedinger on Wednesday after the team that had been training GS packed up, it was wonderful. It wasnt open until 11am though.

I hoped maybe the offpiste to the side would be a possibility but no way!Icy solid and very rocky.

Just out of interest I did a bit of a bootpack up to take in some views and got chatting to an 82 year old skitourer, he told me the snow on the glacier is 80 meters deep Shocked He also said no snow until end November and he hadnt seen the glacier so bare in 20 years Crying or Very sad

@LeglesWonder, good luck with the course!
latest report
LeglesWonder wrote:

I was going to drive but have been off with a virtual infection. But on the mend.

Glad to hear you are recovering from your illness. Is it a virtual ski course as well, or a real one? Puzzled Toofy Grin

Enjoy your trip!
snow report
@Bergmeister, Ha Yes I'm on an actual course. The Joys of spell check and having a virus in my eyes. The Joys.
latest report
So I made it to Kaprun.
Skiing tomorrow, though by all accounts they were hoping for some snow.
So I'll know more tomorrow and Tuesday when the course starts.

As the BA flight was early I had ample time to get the service bus to Zell am see and was met there by Andy Rose who is running the course.
Interestingly the 260 bus didn't want to stop at the Designated Bus stop, I had to wave it down not sure what happened there.
Thanks for all your help and advice.
Unless you've been to Salzburg airport you wouldn't realise how very small it is. , it was the only flight putting luggage out
ski holidays
@LeglesWonder, it is wonderfully small...but chaos on a busy Saturday in high season. I love it for ease of access, parking and the Stiegl bar.
snow report
@LeglesWonder, looks like the colder weather is on its way towards the weekend, thank goodness!
I do hope you use a high factor sunscreen up there this week, you are going to get one hell of a goggle tan! I am heading over again on Thursday with Scarpa if you have time for a beer although with the course I am guessing every minute is accounted for Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kooky, Yes it's like spring conditions. The snow is quite good just not much of it.
I'm battling this bug but soldiering on. Happy to meet up on Thursday all being well. Im
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy