Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best long weekend resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skiing_snerrick wrote:
How much do these long weekends you guys speak of normally cost you out of interest? Sounds quite appealing to go on multiple long weekends throughout the season, rather than one or two (if lucky) week-long trips..

Inevitably it's hard to match up price wise. The travel costs born by a 3-day trip will broadly be the same as a 6/7/8 day trip. So on a per day basis the more days you do the more that cost is diluted. Accommodation may be the same if say it is a Hotel charging per night or more expensive (if say a rental were they charge a bit more pro rata for a short stay. Everything else is paid pretty much on a day by day basis.

The real win with weekenders is that you can do it with zero, one or two days off work.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiing_snerrick wrote:
How much do these long weekends you guys speak of normally cost you out of interest? Sounds quite appealing to go on multiple long weekends throughout the season, rather than one or two (if lucky) week-long trips..

there really is 2 answers to this, one from the folks that are lucky enough to have there own place & another from those that don't.
For me as I have accommodation already I would say costs are £70 for return flights & £25 for quarter share in car hire + approx. 40 euro per day lift pass. No kit hire costs as its already there BUT thenthat is all nullified by the thank you's I get from my friends that come over with me.
Of course I am ignoreing the annual running cost of the apartment as there is not justifying that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The real win with weekenders is that you can do it with zero, one or two days off work.

This is true, I've cannibalised my year the last couple of years to go on two ski trips. Does it ever feel like not enough when you only ski for three days? I guess not if you're safe in the knowledge you have another couple of trips down the line.

Quote:

For me as I have accommodation already I would say costs are £70 for return flights & £25 for quarter share in car hire + approx. 40 euro per day lift pass. No kit hire costs as its already there BUT thenthat is all nullified by the thank you's I get from my friends that come over with me.

Wow, owning my own ski apartment/chalet has now shifted to the top of my bucket list.. what's a rough ballpark figure for getting somewhere reasonable?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiing_snerrick, 25K down & 6K PA should cover you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Engelberg, Switzerland if the flights stack up.

Train from Zurich Airport to Zurich central.

Change.

Train from Zurich Central to Engelberg.

If you book the hotel opposite the station, then it's a 2 minute walk.

Excellent skiing, especially later in the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes - Engelberg is a top weekend option. Does get busy for that reason
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm thinking that an alternative to the ski chalet/apartment dream would be to build a relationship with a hotel that would be willing to pick you up from the airport and store your skis for the season. Cutting out the cost/hassle of car hire and ski hire/carriage would be a big bonus. Anybody manage this?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dw832,

Some hotels do this. You doubt you'll get the transfer free for weekend stays but they will arrange it for you.
I know Fleche d'Or at Bettex/St Gervais provides this service.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The cost per hour of skiing on "multiple long weekends" will likely be much higher than on week-long trips. They make sense for people who are cash-rich and time-poor.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, yes-ish... I find on weekend trips I tend to go all out for 2-3 days, which I won’t in a week long trip. So cost per hour of actual skiing is very similar! Were I less lazy on long trips, they would indeed be cheaper per hour.

What really adds up on weekend trips for me is that we are invariably with friends, thus eat out every night, usually with beer and wine etc. On a week long trip we might only go out twice.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plus you can go with multiple different groups , I go with a dads&lads weekend, then a work guys weekend and finally a old friends weekend. Family is Xmas/NY & half term.
If I was going for a week I could only do 1 group
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy