Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borovets 2018 2019

Poster: A snowHead
@rachelb, yes I used them last year for ski hire, they're fine.

Got my replacement phone and found my identical jacket on sale with £40 off so I've ordered it. My poorly mate will be in hospital for at least a week.

@rayscoops, I did that black, it was actually lovely - wish I could have skied it in powder, that would be amazing. Such a nice little run. The short red above the snow front was sheet ice, everyone was going down it on their face when I was there.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rachelb, a snowboard instructor suggested this ...

For ski hire the best place is the Rossignol shop behind the Rila. Their equipment is new or not older than 2 years and the same price as everywhere else. They also have there own ski school.I also recommend UNIVERSE SKI AND SNOWBOARD SCHOOL
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much. Sorry to hear you had a bad time @HoneyBunny, and hope your friend’s better soon. We’ve never had anything stolen in many years, or that we know of from guests (we let a chalet) so I really hope it’s not a growing trend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dumping down again - in for the day by the looks of things
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thursday 24 Jan 2019 morning .... and it is snowing even harder now Very Happy

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
25 Jan 2019

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rachelb wrote:
Thanks very much. Sorry to hear you had a bad time @HoneyBunny, and hope your friend’s better soon. We’ve never had anything stolen in many years, or that we know of from guests (we let a chalet) so I really hope it’s not a growing trend.

It’s not that clear it was stolen, more of a taken by mistake. HoneyBunny is lucky she hasn’t got an angry drug dealer on her trail for nicking, exporting and dumping his jacket and his drugs. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Taken by mistake maybe - but the phone was definitely nicked. I had a message on the lock screen with "If found" contact details on it.

Anyway, maybe I did the bloke a favour, I might have saved his life by preventing him from taking them.

Snow looks amazing, gutted I missed that. My mate will be in hospital until at least Sunday. I've been off work ill all week since returning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:
Anyway, maybe I did the bloke a favour, I might have saved his life by preventing him from taking them.

So hopefully not his heart medicine then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm no Walter White but that wasn't prescribed by any doctor Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still snowing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great day today ... blue sky
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what do you think the judge would say if you said, i picked up the wrong coat by mistake
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@compostcorner, he'd probably ask what the skiing conditions were like in Borovets at the moment.

The moment's passed, I'm back home, I binned the coat and I don't need a dissection of the rights and wrongs of the situation, thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi,

first time posting and more pertinently, first time skiing for quite a long time - this time with young kids. just a general question about borovets: i've never been to bulgaria and wondered about using cash vs credit cards. have looked up this subject on tripadvisor, etc - any tips on the best way to go ... issues with cashpoints not working or the best place to get currency exchanged?
latest report
falsenumber9 wrote:
hi,

first time posting and more pertinently, first time skiing for quite a long time - this time with young kids. just a general question about borovets: i've never been to bulgaria and wondered about using cash vs credit cards. have looked up this subject on tripadvisor, etc - any tips on the best way to go ... issues with cashpoints not working or the best place to get currency exchanged?

Cards work, but also take € cash and exchange them at the numerous exchange booths which all offer a virtually identical rate of just under 2lev to the €.
ski holidays
the LEV is pegged to the EURO
ski holidays
There are banks where you can change money in both the Rila and Samokov Hotels if you prefer not to use the booths (same rate). There are also ATMs where you can draw out cash which is what we tend to do.
snow conditions
@falsenumber9, There is no need to take Euros, you'll just be paying extra fees. You can exchange sterling in the Samokov and Rila hotels. There are two cashpoints in the town, so it's unlikely they'll both be out of action.

Also, if you don't have ski locks - buy some and use them every time you leave your skis. I'm certain my hire skis would have been swiped without one - I found them on the floor (still attached to the rack) with my poles gone, and that was outside the Black Tiger on a busy afternoon.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
@falsenumber9, There is no need to take Euros, you'll just be paying extra fees. You can exchange sterling in the Samokov and Rila hotels. There are two cashpoints in the town, so it's unlikely they'll both be out of action.

The reason I said take Euro is that the lev Euro rate is fixed/pegged by the gov at 1.96 and there is no extra commission at the exchange booths. Therefore if you shop for best UK Euro exchange rate in UK (or like a lot of us have a pile of euros in the drawer anyway) you know what £ lev rate you effectively get.

The £ lev rate you get in Bulgaria in resort is likely to be worse than the effective rate you get by taking Euro with you and can vary.

Either way it’s so cheap out there you are only talking about the odd couple of quid.
latest report
thank you, everyone - the advice/experience is much appreciated. i'm not in the uk so i'll need to work out the various rates. plus i'm staying at the rila so i'm sure i'll be ok.
latest report
A bit of rain / sleet at resort level with temperatures above freezing. Great conditions though overall with everything open, I think.

Gave me the chance to dig out and move my car Smile
ski holidays
Woke up to a couple of inches of snow on my car again and with the warmer weather and softening of the previous snow base, I barely managed to get the car out of the apartment compound - and I think it has been snowing heavily up top too.

Another dump of snow expected today and tonight ... not sure my little hire car will make it back up the drive to my apartment ... maybe time to just park it up.

First world problems Cool
ski holidays
lovely. all the forecasts i'm getting say something different, so good news ...
snow report
@falsenumber9, I think after tonight there will be a few days of high temperatures and blue skies, the amount of base and snow on the mountain can take it though ... and I will be able to salvage my car Smile
ski holidays
I'm coming from Hong Kong, and to be honest I've been worried about how the kids would cope if it's really cold ... a couple degrees warmer mightn't be a bad thing for them ...
ski holidays
Pisted boiler plate today ... nice for the skiers maybe but not for my board ... but the sun is out, shadows disappearing and by lunch time is should be perfect ...
snow conditions
Dumping down again ... at least I now have snow chains and a big snow shovel

Looks like first lift powder fest down the black again Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can't wait. fly in to sofia late on monday and the kids' lessons are booked for tuesday morning.
ski holidays
Spring like conditions today, hardpacked pistes at 8.30am, chopped up a bit and softer at 2pm ... seems it will be like this for a few days
latest report
falsenumber9 wrote:
thank you, everyone - the advice/experience is much appreciated. i'm not in the uk so i'll need to work out the various rates. plus i'm staying at the rila so i'm sure i'll be ok.

You very often see a lower rate for Scottish poonds as well, so be aware of that!
snow conditions
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Borovets/6day/mid
snow conditions
Spring like conditions continue, so if you don’t like a bit of chop time to head to the higher slopes

Will try night skiing tonight, hope all the local school kids are tucked up in bed Smile
ski holidays
Still high temperatures and spring like conditions, but it looks like a drop in temperatures and a bit of much needed snow tomorrow
latest report
Temperatures must have dropped over night for the thaw / freeze that had gone on, what was a soft black is now a boulders of frozen lumps.

Just started to see the beginnings of snow though, as anticipated and much needed to freshen things up
ski holidays
What a difference a couple hours of snow makes. If the kids retire to the spa for the afternoon, as they’re threatening to do, I can head off and explore.
latest report
@falsenumber9, it’s very very icy out there, managed to slip on a black and couldn’t stop sliding on my @rse until I reached the bottom Sad
ski holidays
Great conditions today
snow report
Yesterday I went up on the six-man lift and cruised down to the Rila; there was a patch of ice that the instructors had to cordon off as a couple of skiers had slid off the side of the piste. Today was nigh-on perfect. The kids are both naturals. Apparently.

No more snow forecast till next week?
snow report
@falsenumber9, Wednesday was complete carnage, thaw / freeze and sheet ice everywhere causing havoc later in the day

Thursday was fantastic and great at the top of the gondola, today should be great too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy