Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2018/2019 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Will eagerly await the update. Due in Samoens on the 25th for a long weekend and am wondering if we need to replan to somewhere other than the Grand Massiff. Only things I can't change are the Geneva flights.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@numbfoot, should be fine by the 25th... Certainly for just a long weekend!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sj1608 will be interested in hearing your report - hope conditions continue to improve. We are due in Samoens for mid-term break (17th Feb) so I know long enough away for things to get better (but also worse) so I shouldn't worry but i can never stop myself! Bad enough having to contend with mid term hordes (first time we have had to do as kids all doing exams this year so could not take them out of school Sad ) But mid term and poor snow would be a nightmare!! BTW any tips on coping during mid term gratefully received!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Simone - we are usually in Samoens winter half term. You just need to set your expectations at a lower level. There is always a queue at the GME in the morning. Get there early if you want to be towards the front of that queue. The car park fills up quickly as well if you are driving. There is also always a queue at the Chariande express as well. You can avoid this by skiing down to Colouvrier lift although that will probably be busy as well.

Looks nice and snowy this morning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Curious about the lack of open runs today. Was wondering if it is wind, fresh snow ot coverage? Seems to be some of the higher runs. Out there this weekend regardless and I'm sure there will be fun to be had whatever. Flying out this weekend, just thinking about where to hit up first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We made it up for a quick ski this afternoon, just a couple of runs to remind our legs that they understand skiing! The fresh snow (which is still coming now) is fine, dry and powdery and has been pushed around a fair bit both by skiers and wind, so it's hard to see how much of it there is but clearly a significant amount. Visibility was understandably poor with a mixture of snow and fog.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am due there on Saturday for a week so really pleased to hear of a reasonable snow fall today. Was a little worried about the low number of runs open. We were there christmas 2017 and it was 100% open and was amazing - hence going back. Taking a friend and I said how amazing Marvel is - but it seems closed so I am hoping that is open soon.

I'll report when i get there for those going later on Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm due in to Flaine Saturday too, looks like some of the higher runs aren't open yet, but hopefully the forecast is right and there'll be more cover after Sunday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top 2/3rds of Marvel closed today, but after today's snow and some piste-bashing tonight, there may be enough snow to open it. Also hopeful that more runs will start opening in GM area over the next week as temps due to stay low and a bit more snow due in a few days. Pistes v quiet, great skiing today in LC and Morillon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Skier52. I skied Marvel on New Years Day last year with my son and we were the first to go down it - was about 3-4in of powder and one of the best skiing experiences ever, so want to try & ski it again.

EarthWindandWater - we are heading to LC so hopefully there will still be some good cover there. Flaine (I believe) is better higher up.

It sounds like the GM area is still going to provide some good skiing next week so still can't wait to get there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The weather had cleared overnight, leaving clear blue skies, sunshine and snow-covered trees (and pistes!) this morning, real 'pictures from a brochure' stuff. It was very cold - my Android phone started posting messages about having been in shutdown and having resumed 'now temperature was normal'. There appeared to be more open than yesterday and the posted piste and lift openings were not 100% which added to the options. For @Andyp95!, Marvel is still closed, but appeared to have been pisted so keep your fingers crossed.

The snow was excellent, they'd been pisting this morning so most runs were corduroy, but the ones that didn't get morning attention had a layer of powder. Despite the extra snow there are a few places where it is very obviously thin, but as we weren't here before the snowfall no idea how that compares with last week. The pistes were really quiet, as is the town.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks sj1608 - fingers crossed it is nearly ready. Been checking webcams today and it looks amazing so hope it stays for next week
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Andyp95!, more snow forecast at the weekend... http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Best forecasters for the general area (Cham, EMB, GM, PdS, etc.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any updates guys. Anyone out today. 3 weeks to our annual ski trip. Returning to Grand Massif this year. Can’t wait. Hoping blocking high hanging over Ireland shifts to allow the jet stream move.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is a blocking high over Ireland a problem?

Anyway, suggestions of 40-50cms over the weekend and potentially a deterioration (i.e. more snow) from about the end of next week.

3 weeks away is far too far away to know what'l be happening then!
snow conditions
Been out all day. Flat light generally and a bit cloudy up top of tete de saix.

Skiied all round Les carroz, Samoens and Morillon and slopes are in reasonable shape. Few icey bits, a few marbles, but considering there's not been a huge amount of snow so far it's all fine.

It was pretty quiet today too. There's a few lifts not yet open, and Marvels for some ditches that need work.

Tomorrow is showing anything from 50+cm of snow thats well needed and should be great for anyone out next week.
ski holidays
other than Chamonix meteo, I like https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/flaine_france_6621555

14 days is obviously a wee bit far for confidence but you can monitor the trends.
snow report
We head out on Thursday. So fingers crossed the forcast is rite and they get the 40+cm there predicted
snow report
I think it’s something to do with polar vortex and jet stream being too far north. Don’t really know though.
Forecast looking good for Sun/Mon I was just wondering what it’s like at present so thank you for the replies.
I don’t tend to get too excited/ worried until nearer the date but usually get addicted to this thread and all new weather outlook around now.
latest report
We arrived late afternoon today - too late to tell lists condition s. Will hit them tomorrow and report back
latest report
Ffs - piste conditions
latest report
Now snowing heavily in Les Carroz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
sj1608 wrote:
Now snowing heavily in Les Carroz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy
Can we get an Update in the morning please. Laughing
snow report
Of course! Much heavier now than it was even 15 minutes ago..... Very Happy
snow report
Just left White Pub and fluffy flakes starting to properly come down, could be very white tomorrow!
snow report
Forcast originally said it was a huge fall over night but it’s now saying it’s heavy most of Sunday as well. Hopefully it clears a little for you so you can get up the mountain
latest report
It's still dark here, but it looks like there's been around 20cm+ of snow overnight in the centre of Les Carroz and still snowing steadily. Fine flakes, rather than big ones.

Looking at the GM website, it looks as if more runs are open today than yesterday.
ski holidays
It's 8.40am here and Samoens village has 6-7cm on the ground, it's still snowing now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LC - still snowing!
ski holidays
Anyone know what is happening at the top of les Carroz. One of the pisters said a big accident has closed the resort.
snow report
Looking the web can at the top of the main lift from the village up it seems all open with plenty of activity at the moment. Can was last refreshed 5 minutes ago.
ski holidays
Very, very sad news:
https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2019/01/13/morillon-grand-massif-deux-pisteurs-tues-par-l-explosion-d-un-engin-de-declenchement-d-avalanche-ski

We sometimes take the work of the pisteurs for granted, this shows we shouldn't. RIP.

It was very obvious that something serious had happened as all the links were closed, along with whole of Molliet sector plus Gron lift.
ski holidays
@sj1608, very sad indeed
snow report
RIP Terrible for anyone to lose their life helping to provide leisure entertainment as much as we want heavy snowfall nobody wants anyone to be in danger and to hear such bad news. Be safe everyone
ski holidays
Very sad news. We knew something was not right but my French isn't good enough and a lady at the bottom of the gondola was telling us all something, but I thought it was the amount of snow that closed the links.
snow conditions
This is such a shame. They work so very hard to keep the slopes safe for us all and for this to happen. It must have been a huge happening for them to close Gron when it happened over near Lanche I understand.
snow report
Had no idea in Flaine until we got back and someone checked the news. A demanding and skilled job, without which none of us could go skiing, so sad.

More snow today, heavier, slower flakes than yesterday, visibility good at resort level, looks cloudy up top. Temps hovering around freezing so not slushy.
snow conditions
Just in from the final morning of a Fri-Mon trip, waiting for the transfer bus. Skied Flaine bowl again this morning, after a slow start while the pisteurs did their work. It's still snowing intermittently and the light is in and out. Huge amounts of fresh stuff everywhere, with avi risk of 4, so have fun but take care.

If the sun comes out tomorrow, it's going to be a great day.
latest report
Conditions fabulous this afternoon
snow conditions
Conditions very good in Les Carroz and Morillion - lower down towards Morillion town was a bit slushy and thin in parts but on the whole really very good. Hoping for sunshine tomorrow so we can see the amazing views that have been missing so far.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy