Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2018/2019 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Keep them coming guys - out to Flaine for the first time on the 4th - hoping for a drop in temps and some more snow Smile
Thanks!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone headed out around the 12th? Me and 2 mates doing a long "weekend" in Flaine to the Wednesday...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only did a couple of hours as had to do a bit of work online. Snow cannons have been working overtime and conditions first thing were excellent, hard grippy groomed stuff, with a few large marbles to catch you out. Marmotte down to samoens was empty and rather fun first thing as was Timalets on the way back, but I imagine it will all get a bit slick later
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was fun this morning. Tourmaline then up to Grand Platiere and down Serpentine. Snow cover thin though. Need some fresh stuff soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Carroz, Flaine & Morillon today, mostly hard packed snow/ice with artificial snow on top. Lovely weather today so had a nice time but what it really needs is a big, snowy storm to dump 6 inches all over it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clouds rolled in today, flat light until early pm. decided not worth the cost of a lift pass to go up. freezing level above the Hameau, suspect the pistes getting carved up. the offpiste won't have improved from friday when we skinned up to Bellevarde, west of the Aosta drag. hard icy patches and a few loose patches of powder up high, mostly ice on the route back down. SCGB offpiste week will have their work cut out!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there, can anybody in Les Carroz now advise on snow conditions please? Thinking of heading out this weekend but I know there hasn’t been a lot of snow. Webcams look ok but I know they can be deceiving. Much appreciated. Thank you Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went down to Les carroz yesterday, too warm so the artificial snow was fairly horrendous and a massive mogul field.just before the tete du saix lift. Higher up pistes are variable, wind is blowing snow away in parts resulting in icy patches. Most reds still closed, so it's like Oxford street this week
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
averdigi wrote:
Went down to Les carroz yesterday, too warm so the artificial snow was fairly horrendous and a massive mogul field.just before the tete du saix lift. Higher up pistes are variable, wind is blowing snow away in parts resulting in icy patches. Most reds still closed, so it's like Oxford street this week

Thank you. Very helpful. Don’t think we’ll be heading there then! Trying to find somewhere with an easy transfer from Geneva with some decent snow..... like trying to find a needle in a haystack!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Contamines.
uomeabeer wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slightly off the topic of snow conditions, but can any of the Flaine residents or afficionados recommend me a good shop in which to buy ski boots? I am in the market for a new pair and thought I might get them in resort next visit. As a two-week-a-year recreational piste skier I don't need anything fancy or very advanced, but I'd like somewhere with good customer service and who care about getting a proper fit.

At various times past I've used InterSport and Go Montagne (i.e Twinner) in Foret as well as Skishop Helios for ski rental and/or servicing and waxing and been very happy with the service from each of those. Also used the Ski 2000 place in the Foret shopping centre (but was less happy with them). However I have no idea how any of those mentioned rate for boot fitting services.

A search through existing posts doesn't yield anything on this exact subject but CEM does mention incidentally in one that he once trained the staff in Blackside (down in Flaine Forum) in boot fitting and found them to be good guys, so that might be my first port of call.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Always value the updates on this thread in the run up to each holiday - so thought I’d post an update from someone who is just grateful to be on skis at all! Although I appreciate its not the foot of fresh powder you’d all like, however an unexpected couple of CM seems to have fallen on Samoëns overnight - colder too today, so the cannons have been going, a lot of the runs are open and so it’s really quite lovely in this bit of the Grand Massif today!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @dswordsmith, looking at the forecast seems like no significant falls expected for a couple of weeks, although possibly quite cold, so the cannons will do their thing...

Allegedly Mt Blanc creates her own snow in the area, but maybe the wind is in the wrong direction for the GM, any "locals" care to comment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dswordsmith - thanks. Going to Flaine for the first time on Friday for 4 days. Just glad to be on skis but must admit I was hoping for some good snow and empty pistes; especially as I've picked Flaine for its early season snow record - ah well!!!

Lets hope Mont Blanc works its magic!!!! snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a great trip @Gaz_H, you should at least have some decent sun, if no real snow
latest report
How is it looking today guys - some forecasts are reporting snow on Monday & Tuesday Puzzled
ski holidays
both bergfex and j2ski both indicating snowfall next week for flaine, which is a change from what was on there yesterday. I'm keeping everything crossed for something to fall before our arrival on the 12th.
snow report
On way home now, but yesterday was better, temps dropped about 5deg. Flaine bowl wasn't bad, icy in patches as you'd expect. Samoens has really thin pistes , lots of rocks and grass starting to be visible in the higher slopes without cannons. Colder weather has allowed the pisteurs to work their magic lower down , artificial stuff much better than couple days back, times like these you realise what an amazing job they do to keep the pistes open and decent. The sides of the pistes below 1400 odd are brown.
snow conditions
5pike wrote:
both bergfex and j2ski both indicating snowfall next week for flaine, which is a change from what was on there yesterday. I'm keeping everything crossed for something to fall before our arrival on the 12th.

12z and 18z on GFS both had little bumps of snow around the 9th, still there in this morning's, although for some reason the midnight run is missing, it wouldn't take much for it to either go nuts or disappear, so like you, everything crossed!
ski holidays
Hello, sorry to go a bit off piste with the topic here but wondering which ski pass to get? Full Grand Massif or just Villages? As my OH can no longer come on holiday with us I have put my daughters in ski school (Les Esserts) at separate times, 12.45-14.45 and 14.55-17.15. The theory being that I will be able to ski with each of them alone as they are quite different abilities. We will have 2.5hrs together in the morning, then a quick lunch before the younger one starts ski school, then 2hrs fun fast skiing with the older one and swap them over and have a blue/cruisey red afternoon with the younger one. Any opinions much appreciated. thank you
snow conditions
Depends if you are an early riser and the kids have the legs to be able to ski over to Flaine and back again before ski school. Some can do it, but if it is school holidays then lift queues might well get in the way? I think you'd struggle to get over there and do some decent skiing in the 14.55-17.15 slot. When are you going?
snow conditions
09-16 Feb, so Scottish school hols and some french, but not English (I think). Yes, we are early risers and girls are pretty tough but wouldn't want to be busting a gut just for the sake of it.
snow report
@trmacc, I see, so might be worthwhile? Also ask the ski school what pass level they want. Depending on the kids levels and weather they may well take them over to Flaine anyway, so might help with your decision?
snow report
thanks @Cheesie168, that's a good idea, I'll contact the ski school. My older daughter is going to be in Etoile Or or something so I would imagine they will be covering some ground.
snow report
@trmacc, yes, reckon that if she is on Gold Star then they will likely head to Flaine for the early days to test them on various slopes/snow conditions before coming back to prepare for the slalom speed trial. Might be worth letting the ski hire place know, so you can pop the skis back in for a quick wax before the speed trail.
latest report
@Cheesie168, again good advice. She has her own skis but will sort out a wax before the speed trial.
latest report
A little off topic so admin please delete
If not allowed.
We’re heading to les carroz in 2 weeks. We’ve not been for 2 years and I can’t seem to find transfers for under 225 euros for a return for me and my wife . I’m sure it was half that last time we visited.
Does anybody have any recomendations?
Thanks a lot.
Ian
snow report
Go-Massif will do a shared transfer for about £80 per person? https://gomassif.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm. Flying out 12th for a few weeks. Was looking into maybe doing a ZigZag Off piste 5 day thing. Could be it too optimistic at the moment from anyone that's out there? Haven't yet paid for it.
snow conditions
@Ian_86, or try http://www.actiontransfers.com/
latest report
@MoonfireSpam, Zig Zag always seem to find good areas and challenges no matter what the snow conditions. Not doing it this year but two friends have signed up.
ski holidays
Ian_86 wrote:
A little off topic so admin please delete
If not allowed.
We’re heading to les carroz in 2 weeks. We’ve not been for 2 years and I can’t seem to find transfers for under 225 euros for a return for me and my wife . I’m sure it was half that last time we visited.
Does anybody have any recomendations?
Thanks a lot.
Ian

I'm out here now and used Go Massif as mentioned below. Really pleased with thier service so far. Quick service from the airport and hardly any waiting around. They have a stand in the arrivals. 184 euros for 2 of us
ski holidays
Hi
In Flaine at the moment enjoying some dec3nt skiing. It's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.
The temps are around -5 at 2500 and -1 in the village, keeping the in decent condition. On Saturday it was bluebird and yesterday it was very cloudy half way down and clear on top. It's threatening to snow but nothing yet. Rocks have been mentioned; I've seen couple but it's not an issue. It has been busy though with the last of the NY people so some crowded pistes especially on the serpentine. Carroz, Morrilon and Samoen by far the quieter. snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks Gaz_H for that update.

hoping for more snow before we arrive on the 12th and hoping that the NY skiers have gone home.

Are most of the runs open in Flaine?? I keep checking on the Grand Massif website and not all look open??

Thanks
snow conditions
andyp95 wrote:
Thanks Gaz_H for that update.

hoping for more snow before we arrive on the 12th and hoping that the NY skiers have gone home.

Are most of the runs open in Flaine?? I keep checking on the Grand Massif website and not all look open??

Thanks

About 60% open. Tbh, I've been spending most of.my time on the Carroz side. I don't think there are any blacks open in Flaine. The Veran (sp) sectour is mainly shut.
snow report
Early return today, knackered! Quietened down a lot now. Bluebird day again. -6 Morning great but mid afternoon snow v hard in places; I'd say Samoen is the worst but still enjoyable....it's skiing after all!!

How do I post photos??
ski holidays
Thanks for the updates gaz.
Fingers crossed you get the snow over the next 2 days that there forcasting
snow report
It's snowing in Flaine! Just woke up and the village road are covered. Might not be that deep but it's still snow! Last day too.....nice! snowHead Very Happy
snow report
enjoy your last day Very Happy

Webcam pic below of the main lift up from carroz village. Definitely fresh snow on the floor of the seating area.

68-EEC2-FB-8645-45-EA-93-DD-5977-A030-AAF9
latest report
We arrived in Les Carroz last night and there had been a little snow during the day. Overnight there has been more and it is still snowing steadily, probably about 10cm at village level since we arrived. Still unpacking and doing apartment jobs, so not sure we'll make it up the mountain today, but will report back once we have.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy