Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2018/2019 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
I arrive Tuesday. Any rain?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe. It was meant to rain/snow Wed/Thurs, did not really materialise. I tend to use http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php - as this is the one used by the LC tourism office etc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having cruised around the area for the past few days - in general most pistes have a good base and should last through next week. Skiable down to 1100m although it's pretty sticky and granular low down.

Still some decent conditions on the higher pistes around Flaine and Samoens.

Pistes are very quiet - and lift queues minimal - which is great. But unfortunately this has led to the lift company closing a few lifts as the season starts to wind down. E.g. in the Flaine bowl the following drags are closed - Veret, Lapiaz, Aujon. All the buttons have been taken off Veret so it's not going to restart even if there's a mega dump of snow and a huge influx of visitors.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit misty this morning (read could not see a dam thing at times!)

managed to ski all the way down to vercland, during lunch time even if it was rather narrow and stoney /muddy near the bottom. snow softened loads during the day, timalets on the way back was fun if a bit sticky. Very quiet, after 12 it was empty, knee gave up at 3, so off home, roll on tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent very quiet day, cold this morning with a dusting of snow, everything was rather hard first thing, if it was not groomed it rattled your teeth!

Blues down to Coulouvrier were very pleasant, and empty.................

Just could not believe how quiet it was for a Sunday.........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth coming to flaine tomorrow? Got a free ticket on my cham season pass that still needs using...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To confirm, it was! Snow off from Platieres was lovely and we skied down to Samoens 1600 on lovely stuff. Excellent use of a last free ticket Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Understand the Austrian ski team hire Flaine out this week. Fresh of 20 cm Thursday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have been wondering around the Grand Massif in the heat, and doing a few 360 pictures

here are two at the top of the gondola, front and back

back of gondola

http://bit.ly/backofgondolagooglemaps

front of gondola

http://bit.ly/frontofgondolagooglemaps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Link going straight to Google Maps on my i-Phone. Is there much new being constructed?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BAN, They have been published on google maps, hence the links are to there.

nothing new we have seen yet, but we have not been everywhere yet
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Zorrac, is the K Lounge open then? Like the piccies, thanks for posting. Interesting to see if you gt up to the Tete. We won't be over until August, so ti s lovely to see the blue skies now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cheesie168, They have red brollies outside today, so I assume it is open, we did the sept freres walk today, It is very quiet this week, lots of people did the JPP cycle event and then went home.

One of the classic views in les carroz, that is part of the Sept Freres walk

http://bit.ly/googlemapsLeChaletdedTronchets

and top of molliets lift

http://bit.ly/googlemapstopofmoilletschairlift

there are lots of others attached to the google maps Project Access account if you want to look snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doing Corbalanche tomorrow, so that will include Tete Des Saix, early when it is cool..........hopefully
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder what building activity at the bottom of Le Lac is all about? New reservoir for the snow canons? Seems a bit daft to place it there.

Glad to see the entrance to Coulouvrier from the Samoens side getting property sorted. Never bothered me personally, but it would be nice to relieve the Marmottes a bit during a busy period.
ski holidays
various lifts were running today stopping and starting, took some photos of things going on under the express chair out of samoens, and they were hammering away at the rocks on the red that comes off marmottes, can't see what difference that will make, assume that is what you are talking about @cheburator?

and

there is also a load of building happening just further down from the club med.

and

In les carroz they were doing some surveying (most of the day) next to the drag with the dog leg that is under the gondola that goes up to the junction of plein soleil and combe. Other than that les carroz seems rather peaceful as far as lift stuff goes.

will post the pics and some 360's tomorrow
snow conditions
In les carroz as far as lift work goes I forgot about the timalets drag lift, they have cut all its cables, had to walk over them walking down and I think they may be moving the base station, as the walkway from the new super expensive apartments is right behind it. Hopefully they are not getting rid of it???

Picture of the top of the DMC in Flaine, lots of snow in pockets, with Mont Blanc behind. Taken from the top of Corbalanche.

ski holidays
some 360's we did at the top of tete des saix, (with one on the way up corbalanche) enjoy Very Happy

http://bit.ly/GoogleMapsCorbalanche

http://bit.ly/googlemaptopofchariandeexpress

http://bit.ly/googlemaptopoftetedessaixlift

http://bit.ly/googlemapscliff
snow conditions
base of the telecabine in summer, note no walking down combe, MTB only

https://goo.gl/maps/1tkSzzM1qbEBn9Sy9

and a rather good view from about the top of Dahu

https://goo.gl/maps/uJJqyKaChATZ8kYN7
ski holidays
Oh good photos thank you. We walked up and back and had lunch at Igloo today. Spotted what seemed to be work on the runs down, to the Colouvier (sp), or was that wishful thinking?
snow report
@Cheesie168, Pleased you like the photos. They were working on those runs back in July, the new steep red from the Samoens side that was closed most of last season, they were digging up rocks from the top part.

another photo, this time bottom of bergin chair in Morillon

https://goo.gl/maps/zsCzgB2B4834c18y5
snow report
Has been rather warm, but we have been doing a few more pictures

Top of rhodos red, near the top of Plein Soleil chair

https://goo.gl/maps/NAxkaBSFw2h5zsLY8

and a little way up the green, looking over the snowmaking lake

https://goo.gl/maps/kVxXHN3GsSVtbKSPA

if you click on the "three sixty sphere" in the top right corner there are lots more of them. Very Happy

On the lift front, the drag Kedeuze, with the elbow in it is all in bits on its side, hopefully they are fixing it as it was always breaking down last season.
snow conditions
Went on a walk to Samoens, and came back up the chariande express, and this is a large snowmaking lake that is now near completion, a photo I took earlier in july, its all lined now.

also the new rocky red Corne from the samoens side down to the Coulouvrier lift has been graded alot

The new fence alongside perce neige is finished, and they have cut down alot of trees to the left of it as you go down to the top of the molliets chair. They were running tete des saix lift as well as Coulouvrier yesterday.

on Les carroz news, have been told that Les Airelles hotel is going to be flattened and a new one built, it has stopped doing evening meals, (Restaurant seems closed, but is still running B&B with people staying there)

Massive thunderstorm clouds over the mountain now, so should be a show later?
ski holidays
Oh thanks for that, looking good
ski holidays
Yeah thanks @Zorrac, looking forward to it already snowHead
latest report
@Zorrac, thanks for all these photos! Is the new reservoir in your photos being created just before you get to La Luge a Teran restaurant?
Also interesting to see the reshaping of the red peeling off from Marmottes down to Coulouvrier. I had spied (from Coulourier chairlift) an interesting chute between some rocks with a fixed rope which I was planning on trying this season but wondering if it’s now been destroyed?
Do you know if there is a new blue run through the trees from Brasserie des Saix down to Coulouvrier for 2019/20?
snowHead Cool
snow report
@Freestyle, Hi, It is just as you come off what used to be the last pitch of agile noir, but is now off piste, so you would come down agile noir on to dahu, and you carry straight on., it is the area at the end of that, just to the left as you go up the lift.

I would think that little gully is still there.

Don't know anything about a new blue as have not walked over that far.
snow conditions
@Zorrac, yes that makes sense. It used to be a turning point for the piste bashers and they used to even make some ramps there sometimes.
The new blue was listed in the original drawings when Coulouvrier was in the planning stages.
Do you know anything about the planned Sixt to Flaine lift? I’m assuming it’s been shelved or binned?
Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Freestyle, Back home now...to a leaking pipe

The new lift is part of the re-vamping of Sixt, not sure it has got permission yet, but would be surprised it has been scrapped as Sixt have got rid of all the higher lifts in their little ski area.

one more picture, top of Zorta, the red going down to Gron

https://goo.gl/maps/e37b8ASyQR5L7D7M6
snow report
@Zorrac, great photo! Love a bit of Zorta! Hope pipe gets sorted... snowHead Cool
ski holidays
Zorrac wrote:
Went on a walk to Samoens, and came back up the chariande express, and this is a large snowmaking lake that is now near completion, a photo I took earlier in july, its all lined now.

also the new rocky red Corne from the samoens side down to the Coulouvrier lift has been graded alot

The new fence alongside perce neige is finished, and they have cut down alot of trees to the left of it as you go down to the top of the molliets chair. They were running tete des saix lift as well as Coulouvrier yesterday.

on Les carroz news, have been told that Les Airelles hotel is going to be flattened and a new one built, it has stopped doing evening meals, (Restaurant seems closed, but is still running B&B with people staying there)

Massive thunderstorm clouds over the mountain now, so should be a show later?

Shame about the new snowmaking lake as it will kill a nice little technical off piste segment... ah well...

As to Sixt-Flaine - it hasn't been killed at all. However, quite a few locals are actually against it, saying that closing the higher area and turning it over to randonees is a chance for Sixt to reboot its image. Their argument goes along the lines that in 20yrs time skiing even at the higher altitude of Gers would be questionable. On the other hand Sixt and the area are very quaint and unspoiled. Let them build on that, by expanding into sustainable, nature friendly tourism. Having skied and hiked extensively around Gers and the valleys around, I can kind of see their point. I certainly don't want to see Tarquin and Alfie arriving in Sixt...
latest report
Don't Tarquins and Alfies head to Chamonix rather than the GM?
latest report
@Freestyle, no, Les Gets.
snow report
Hey you Grand Massif 20/21 guys, where are you? Your absence has been noted over on the PdS thread, there must be someone over there who can get this season's thread started (or have you all fallen down an off-piste sink-hole wink )??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy