Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2018/2019 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Very light snow falling in Les Carroz village centre at 1125m at 23.30pm but nothing sticking on ground.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carroz is only around 1,100m ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine/6day/mid
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How's it looking out there today folks? Due to arrive tomorrow and concerned around the forecasts of high winds may close the lifts, so thinking about a contingency plan of Courmayeur (As forecast looks like lower winds)...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there a bus service between Flaine and Les Carroz - if not, how much would a taxi cost? Out for 3-4 days later this week (staying in Flaine) ... strong winds forecast which may close the links so thinking of finding shelter on the lower slopes. Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@franga, yes there is a bus service. I'll try to pop into the tourist office later today and get the timetable and post details here later today.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@franga, there is this thing calledd “Google”... rolling eyes

https://hiver.grand-massif.com/download/5c875fa752ab73.05258114
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, your link doesn't seem to be working.

In fairness to @franga this info wasn't on the Grand-Massif website earlier in the season, the bus is nothing to do with them. But it does now seem to have appeared at the bottom of this page:
https://hiver.grand-massif.com/navettes-ski-bus ......but only the French version of the page, still missing from the English one. rolling eyes

Our first skiing day today and was pleasantly surprised by how good the snow was after the top up yesterday. A few icy patches, but far less than expected.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like 50cm last night. We arrive Sunday. How is it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BAN, there's plenty of snow! Unfortunately, it rained overnight and all morning, which made the snow really heavy. Forecast is for temps to drop tomorrow and sunshine, which should mean that once they have pisted it will be nice. Then expecting a bit more snow on Sunday......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sj1608 - how high up did it rain rather than snow overnight and this morning?

Also does anyone know whether the ski pass cards for GM are compatible with those from other areas such as La Plagne or Les Deux Alpes? I am going to Flaine soon and have a collection of ski cards from other resorts which I would like to use to buy my pass online in advance if possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I heard rained below 1800m.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BAN wrote:
I heard rained below 1800m.

Snowed most of yesterday and overnight down to resort level (Flaine) ... unfortunately the snow turned to rain as soon as the lifts opened, most of what lay on trees this morning has now gone. It was the type of light but persistent rain that seems to find a way to seep through every single layer. Snow still in good condition but very heavy and sticky below Flaine. Another issue today has been the very low cloud cover which reduced visibility substantially, there were times when I couldn’t see 3 metres ahead (it made for some tricky descents). Tomorrow should be completely different - it’s forecast to be sunny / partly cloudy ... the runs should be in top-notch condition when they’ve been bashed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The whole of Les Carroz and Morillon was rain this morning, but late morning the temps dropped again and at the top of Gron lift it was snowing. As @franga says, once it's pisted it will be great. But the forecast now shows higher temps tomorrow than the one this morning did......

Sorry, can't help on which cards are compatible with which resorts - all I know is that we always seem to need to get a new one when we go anywhere different!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We arrive in Les Carroz next week, and booked ski rental via Snowbrainer at the ADVENTURE SKI - SPORT 2000 shop. Does anyone know definitively what time they open in the morning? The Les Carroz tourism site says 8:30, but my reservation from Snowbrainer says 9:30, and the Sport2000 site says 9:00 (and Google says the shop is closed permanently...). I tried emailing the shop directly but they didn't answer. Maybe someone here knows the answer? Cheers!
snow conditions
@chenav, that's just round the corner from us, so will pop in and check for you tomorrow or Sunday. In case it makes a difference, what date do you arrive?
snow report
We arrive on Tuesday evening, but we'll probably only get to the shop on Wednesday morning. Thank you!
ski holidays
@chenav, I went in today and they told me they close at 7pm and open at 9am.
ski holidays
How was it overhead today?
latest report
@sj1608, many thanks for your help.
latest report
Sorry, was too focused on @chenav's query and forgot to mention the snow and weather!

It has been clear blue skies and sunshine all day today and very warm later. We drove to Flaine this morning, to get what we hoped would be the best snow and beat the Saturday day trippers. Up high the snow was lovely throughout the day, special mention for Fred, which they pisted at about 9am this morning. Lower down it was pretty scrapey this morning and a bit soft this afternoon, but still lovely. It looked as if the rain had not reached the top of the DMC. Our decision to drive over meant that we had a 'golden hour' of virtually no queues and empty pistes, but the queues built up quite quickly, although the pistes never seemed that busy. Driving back down it was clear that both Molliets and Vernant car parks had been full and there were cars parked all along the road as well.
snow report
@OldHacker - the company that does the lift passes for Grand Massif is Skiez Direct, if that's any help.
snow report
Off to Flaine this Saturday, any recommendations for a takeaway pizza place and maybe burger joint for a quick bite at lunchtime?
We are staying in the Flaine foret / forum area so something close by and also a supermarket close by as we are self catering.
Has anyone used action transfers from Geneva? I still need to book a shared transfer for the holiday. TIA
snow conditions
@Skrabble - Foret & Forum are distinct parts of Flaine as they are situated on different levels. Both have their own snow fronts, but the only major ski lift operating from Foret (the upper level) is the Grand Vans that links Flaine to the other resorts in Grand Massif. All the other main lifts for the Flaine ski area are down in the Forum area.

Anyway, I digress, there are two Funicular lifts for pedestrians linking Foret & Forum. If you are in Foret there are various Pizza options: you can go into the Perdrix Noir pub in the little shopping centre at the top of Funicular 2, order pizzas and collect about 15-20 mins later from the little window just outside the pub (and have a swift pint in the meantime), or similarly the Diamant Noir pub (through a tunnel in the little hill just opposite top of Funicular 1) does takeaway pizza while you wait. There is also the Refuge Du Skieur - pretty much above Diamant Noir pub and next to the Terrasses de Veret apartments. I can vouch for any of those.

Down in Forum there are a few options too but none I've tried except Brasserie Cimes. They do takeaway, but if the restaurant is busy you will be waiting a long time for them to make it.
snow conditions
Ingemar_Skidmark wrote:
@Skrabble - Foret & Forum are distinct parts of Flaine as they are situated on different levels. Both have their own snow fronts, but the only major ski lift operating from Foret (the upper level) is the Grand Vans that links Flaine to the other resorts in Grand Massif. All the other main lifts for the Flaine ski area are down in the Forum area.

Anyway, I digress, there are two Funicular lifts for pedestrians linking Foret & Forum. If you are in Foret there are various Pizza options: you can go into the Perdrix Noir pub in the little shopping centre at the top of Funicular 2, order pizzas and collect about 15-20 mins later from the little window just outside the pub (and have a swift pint in the meantime), or similarly the Diamant Noir pub (through a tunnel in the little hill just opposite top of Funicular 1) does takeaway pizza while you wait. There is also the Refuge Du Skieur - pretty much above Diamant Noir pub and next to the Terrasses de Veret apartments. I can vouch for any of those.

Down in Forum there are a few options too but none I've tried except Brasserie Cimes. They do takeaway, but if the restaurant is busy you will be waiting a long time for them to make it.

Cheers for that mate, I'm not 100% sure what our digs are called tbh Laughing last minute sunweb deal so the description is the residences foret and forum. Will check out the info you have given. Cheers
latest report
There's an apartment block called Residences Foret (there might be a Residences Forum too, but I don't know it) which I think is run by Pierre & Vacances. If you are in that one, then it is extremely handy for Diamant Noir and Refuge du Skieur, as well as for the snow front and the lift down to Forum.
ski holidays
Ingemar_Skidmark wrote:
There's an apartment block called Residences Foret (there might be a Residences Forum too, but I don't know it) which I think is run by Pierre & Vacances. If you are in that one, then it is extremely handy for Diamant Noir and Refuge du Skieur, as well as for the snow front and the lift down to Forum.

Yeah I've had a look and fingers crossed it is but I don't know, will have to wait and see I guess, seems like the accommodation is spread over a number of buildings. Either way I don't think we will be too far from everything.
ski holidays
@Skrabble, I just took a look and it says you could be in either Forum or Foret and it will be assigned on arrival. You're right, everything is pretty close. In Foret, not far from the Telebenne lift (also known as the yoghurt pots, you'll understand when you see them!) is a place called (I think) The Flaine Dinner. I think the name is a mistake, and they mean Diner, and it's vaguely American style. Does burgers and sandwiches at lunchtime, not sure if it is open in the evening.

In terms of transfers, we use Go Massif, but have also heard good tnhings about Action Transfers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sj1608 wrote:
@Skrabble, I just took a look and it says you could be in either Forum or Foret and it will be assigned on arrival. You're right, everything is pretty close. In Foret, not far from the Telebenne lift (also known as the yoghurt pots, you'll understand when you see them!) is a place called (I think) The Flaine Dinner. I think the name is a mistake, and they mean Diner, and it's vaguely American style. Does burgers and sandwiches at lunchtime, not sure if it is open in the evening.

In terms of transfers, we use Go Massif, but have also heard good tnhings about Action Transfers.

Nice one mate, re the burger joint type place it would be for quick bite at lunch ( when ee don't make sarnies) so that would be ideal. Action transfers want the accommodation name for the transfer, guess I'll just give the place where we are meant to book in. Thanks for the reply.
latest report
@OldHacker, take them along and the cash desk will know. I think that there are two separate systems and the GM passes are not compatible with the cards used in e.g. Tignes or PDS. I also have a stack of cards and have just used a Pila card in Les Orres and a Piani Di Bobbio one in Pila so I’m sure that you’ll find one that matches. I THINK that the GM uses the passes that don’t have the number starting 1614, which is what I’ve been using over the last few days (don’t have my GM pass to hand).

Hope that helps!
latest report
We had a lovely lunchtime panini in 1967 which is just next to the bottom of the Telebenne yoghurt pots lift.
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
We had a lovely lunchtime panini in 1967 which is just next to the bottom of the Telebenne yoghurt pots lift.

And how's the snow?
latest report
@Skrabble, it's dreadful, you should just stay at home. wink

This morning was blue skies and wall to wall sunshine. Pretty cold to begin with, but warmed up quite quickly. We skied Les Carroz, Samoens and Morillon. Everywhere was really good - a few places either scrapey or slushy later on, but overall in very good condition. Flaine will probably be even better, but there was no need to go looking for better snow today, so we didn't go over.
ski holidays
sj1608 wrote:
@Skrabble, it's dreadful, you should just stay at home. wink

This morning was blue skies and wall to wall sunshine. Pretty cold to begin with, but warmed up quite quickly. We skied Les Carroz, Samoens and Morillon. Everywhere was really good - a few places either scrapey or slushy later on, but overall in very good condition. Flaine will probably be even better, but there was no need to go looking for better snow today, so we didn't go over.

Sounds ace, got to love bluebird days!.
ski holidays
The snow above 2000m in Flaine was great on and off-piste, slopes there were not busy. Some of the Upper Red runs had some lovely consistent snow on them, ideal for carved turns.
latest report
@Skrabble, we were there first week in march, been back a while
snow report
Yesterday skied red run under Coulovrier lift, which is new this year. Don't do it: lots of refrozen crud and some icy underneath! Flaine very sunny but no spring snow so far. Virtually no untracked left, but pistes in good shape and off piste soft, albeit well skied.
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
@Skrabble, we were there first week in march, been back a while

Laughing Fair enough!
ski holidays
Following this thread with interest as heading to Flaine on Friday for a long weekend. Not been there for many years, and hoping for some sunshine and lovely pistes ....
snow conditions
@X5OT76, there's currently lots of sunshine. Until Thursday the pistes seemed almost perfect, with just a few slushy bits in the afternoon. But since Friday the temperatures have risen again during the day, and we're now into a spring cycle of ice in the morning, especially up high, and slush later, especially lower. But there's still plenty of snow.

The coming week looks as if the temps drop a bit, but the forecasts all seem to be disagreeing with one another.

Reported my most unusual piste hazard to a pisteur first thing on Friday in Samoens. As I carefully explained, in French, that the piste had cheese scattered over it you could see that he thought I'd got the wrong words. But it was true! It appeared that a box had fallen off a moto neige going up to Montana restaurant, and the wheels of cheese in it had then rolled across the piste. Pisteur immediately set off to recover them and they were gone by the next time I skied past.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy