Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free skiing for O.A.P's?

Poster: A snowHead
In the Les Arcs domain, we have always had free skiing for wrinklies, currently when we reach 72. It used to be 65, but the age limit has gradually moved higher over the years. Are there any other ski resorts which offer free skiing, if so can they beat Les Arcs/Paradiski? 65? 70?
I met 2 blokes on a chair lift last year, both in their 80's, who spent most winters pottering about the Alps, getting free skiing wherever they went. It sure beats a cruise ship, and a darn sight cheaper!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it is 75 for Les Gets/Morzine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
70 in Sainte Foy. We have a guest this week who is 91 and still skiing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
75 at Cardrona NZ
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jamie, 75 in La Rosiere
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My father is 79 and still skis twice a year. I have found most of the big french resorts offer reduced senior rates similar to child rates 65 + and free passes from between 72 & 75 years.
However other Countries (2 tried in Italy) only offer reduced senior rates, nothing free
Of the recent resorts visited Espace & 3V, 75 years. Alpe dHuez - 72 years. Paradiski as stated is for 72 years, but you have to pay a one off 9 euro charge.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Amadé offer a 60+ week which includes free ski pass when booked with accommodation...
http://www.skiamade.com/en/vacationplanner/special-weeks/60
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andorra Granvalira, residents of 65 and over free and also for non-residents of 70 and over.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The problem with this is that I can see these ages rising as I head towards them - a bit like the retirement age Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
The problem with this is that I can see these ages rising as I head towards them - a bit like the retirement age Sad

Same thing happens at those dreadful "over 30s" nightclubs - which effectively means over 50, because anyone in their 30s just goes to a regular nightclub like anyone else.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A Kitzbühel season lift ticket for 80+ costs €20. Unfortunately no reductions on Kitzbüheler Alps AllStar Card, so the offer is a bit restrictive.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It would be difficult to conceive of anything more ghastly than an over-50s nightclub. Skullie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was pleased to get "senior" reduced rates on my Chatel area pass, (59+) but had to pay full wack on the PdS pass as you need to be 62 to get the reduction. It is nice to be still too young for some things...

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead, yes - the ages are rising each and every year I am sure.... I am chasing the PdS pass like Chris Bish.

We have a friend who is 90 this summer and still skies two or three times a year - he tells us that years ago he asked the Mayor of Zermatt why he could not ski free there as he could in many other places - the answer was that 'If I let you ski for nothing Mr X, I will have to charge everyone else more'
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some years back I was in the lift pass queue in Tignes, one of our party a 77year old got his free pass and asked the young girl behind the desk if she had a lift map, which just as she was passing it over he asked her to mark all the best black run with a felt tip pen because his eye sight wasn't too good. The look on her face was wonderful. Laughing
latest report
Italy seems to be at the bottom of the list for freebies, to add insult to injury there was a room supplement imposed on us last year (although maybe the usual now?)
I'm 84 and still manage some piste bashing, shouldn't oldies be encouraged..."no respecta!!!"
snow report
@Dypcdiver, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@edgy1, before long the grey panthers are going to be the only ones who can afford to go skiing, whilst younger people work till they drop. And we can make much more use of the season passes, too.

In my area over 68s get a reduction and over 75s a bigger reduction but nobody goes free.

It's nice to get a reduction but I could put up absolutely no logical argument why younger people with families should subsidise affluent wrinklies who can afford to ski and probably have the kind of pensions they can only dream of!
latest report
Regular season pass in the Jungfrau Region is CHF915.

Age 62 to 69 CHF825.

Age 70+ CHF470.

Older demographic here than a lot of the French areas, so I'm quite surprised they offer anything at all.
snow report
No free lift passes for oldies in the UK however !

Quote:

It's nice to get a reduction but I could put up absolutely no logical argument why younger people with families should subsidise affluent wrinklies who can afford to ski and probably have the kind of pensions they can only dream of!

Not to mention the hypocrisy that a disproportionate number of them will also be voting to leave the EU Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Quote:

No free lift passes for oldies in the UK however !

But free lots of other non means-tested stuff. Prescriptions, rides on the bus, a bung for winter fuel (perfect timing for buying that season lift pass). Shame on Cameron and Osborne for snatching benefits from the disabled but leaving unscathed the benefits provided to their well-heeled older voters.
snow conditions
Baqueira/Beret. 3 Euros a day for those aged 70 and over. Not sure I approve of the description "wrinkly". I spend a fortune on Nivea!
ski holidays
Quote:

I spend a fortune on Nivea!

such a lot of people have become rich on the selling of dreams, @peter w. wink
ski holidays
I was amazed how much more money I had when I reached 65: no national insurance contributions, reduced pension contributions, discounted rail fare, reduced lift pass costs, free bus pass, prescriptions, winter fuel allowance; even my barber gives me a discount (odd one that - I have the same amount of hair). The only increased cost is the cost of travel insurance.

To be honest I have no idea (well actually I do) why this should be the case
latest report
It would be interesting to add up all the financial contributions the wrinklies have made over their working lives. My sympathies go out to young people, but I couldn't always afford to ski when I was young, you'll need to earn the privilege as we had to!!
latest report
North America Whitefish and Winterpark both are essentially free for ' super seniors ' 70+

This is getting to be interesting for me as will qualify next year.

This old guy gives me hope.

http://youtube.com/v/9lpJSB9pd-s
ski holidays
North America looks good, and less of the "old guy" please!! (you're as young as you ACT)
But I've ski-ed Italy now for about 60 years and will stick to there....best of luck when you get old.
latest report
I hear that Swizerland do a special offer where you can ski a season for free every year.....not sure if Nix prefers his slaves a bit younger though 😂😜
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just seen that Alpe D'Huez have cheaper lift passes for over 72
Adult<65
Senior 65-71
Grand Senior 72+ (79 Euro for 6 days)
snow report
@Peter S, There is free lift passes for oldies in the UK but it's different for each resort, I think Glenshee and Glencoe are 80, Cairngorm 75, Nevis Range senior is £100 at 70+, couldn't see anything for the Lecht.
ski holidays
I ski in the USA nowadays and my favourite resort Alta is essentially free after 80. $ 50 for a season pass. 65 - 79 gets approx 30% off.

But when Alta gets busy I like to ski Canyons [ now Park City ] and they offer NO DISCOUNTS AT ALL on season passes for wrinklies. The best they do is an $ 81 day ticket for the 65+ instead of $118.

I also like Snowbasin but it is a little further to drive. Essentially free after 75 at $ 89 for the season.

BTW the powder is as good as they say.
ski holidays
I'm kind of thinking that by the time you make that age probably you ought to have sorted out how to generate the price of a lift ticket.

Alta: I'm a snowboarder so I don't know. I do know however that Snowbird's 7 Summits doesn't give age related discounts.
snow conditions
Reduced price from from 65 - 71 at L2A then free from 72.
ski holidays
Les Arcs does indeed offer a dsicount to over 65s of about 30%. They didn't even ask for evidence unlike Tignes which asked me to sign a legal declaration of my age when I forgot my passport.

It is amazing just how much cheeper things become when you reach 65. No more national insurance to pay so a lot more income, discounts on almost everything, even the barber cuts my hair for less and of course the not insignificant saving on lift passes. The thing is I cannot see why they offer the discount. I ski the same runs as my son, use the same lifts and have the supervision of the same pistuers. I suppose it is so I can pay more for my travel insurance.
snow report
@johnE, insurance costs rise significantly with age milestones. My free insurance through my bank has gone, and some insurance companies won't consider me purely because of age. Much as I have enjoyed skiing, I am at an age when I am beginning to wonder if it is worth all the travel hassle - so a free lift pass is a genuine inducement for me. I don't click in the skiing distances I used to - so my lift usage is reduced accordingly. OTOH to some extent that factor is offset by no longer skiing off piste - which used to be quite extensive. So come to think of it, you could say that on-piste skiing means that I am using the lifts more than I used to.
snow conditions
Free at Grandvalira from 70 I think.
snow report
Free in Chile over 70 - why are the Swiss so mean??
ski holidays
@skilegs, possibly because their ski industry is under strain from the high value of the ChF?

PS. Nice to see you on the forum again.
snow conditions
I get free lift passes most places but have learned to carry my passport, in a waterproof bag, for age proof when obtaining and when challenged at lift stations....which in the past few years of electronic passes is more frequent.
ski holidays
The 3 Valleys offer free lift passes for OAPs. Over 75s I think...

I'm not wishing my life away by any means - but that is a hell of a perk! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy