Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Ben Bus or Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Like it says - 4 of us going to Tignes in January, hire a GVA or get a scheduled transfer. Cash is about the same but unsure if the hire car comes equipped with chains and all that - or is it just easier to get on the bus?

Ta

John
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BillyJohnn, From personal experience Altibus is more reliable and punctual than Bens Bus. Also factor in the cost of parking a hire car for a week in resort.

Look at shared transfers? check out Tarentaise Transfers notice board on Facebook.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BillyJohnn, Chains are usually an extra for car hire and unless you pay extra to rent from the Swiss side of the airport will not come winter tyres. Have you factored in the cost of tolls and parking for the car hire option? Parking in Tignes is not cheap.

Incidently there are other transfer options ranging from Altibus to getting the train or even private transfers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, that what I thought - transfers will work out cheapest - Ben's seems that cheapest at the minute.

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've done that last April. We had a morning flight back, couldn't find a good transfer by bus at 5 AM.
By private transfer the total price was about the same as hiring from Sixt from the Swiss side (winter tyres and snow chains included).
The car gave us freedom to stop on our way to Tignes (Albertville - Decathlon, supermarket etc). Le Levanna charged about 90 euros for underground parking.
From what I read, people sometimes wait more than an hour for the bus. Couldn't risk that.
On the other hand, driving there in January can be a problem
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountainaddict has it down to a fine art.

He knows where to park for free in Tignes, then ski back to the car at the end of the week.

I'm sure he will be along soon to comment... wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used bens bus last season for the 1st time. Done the job but would try my best to do get transfers another way. Post your details on that tarentaise facebook page most of the private transfers keep a eye on there. I managed to get a lift down to geneva from my chalet door in les arcs for not much more than the bus cost, they had a return booking from geneva.
I also enjoy the drive, pick up a few stores inc wine at supermarket on the way up....Will be pretty interested in mountain addicts parking spot!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've used Ben's Bus, Altibus and Alpybus on several occasions for transfers to the 3 Valleys - and have never had a problem.

Always punctual and did what it said on the tin! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I recommend europetransfer/snow drone shared transfer. When someone books a private transfer and agrees to share they offer the other seats at 75 euros (discounts are available). Same price as bus but door to door, minibus and overall much nicer. Search for europe transfer but be sure to look at shared transfer tab. Just starting to show bookings in Jan.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndyT wrote:
I recommend europetransfer/snow drone shared transfer. When someone books a private transfer and agrees to share they offer the other seats at 75 euros (discounts are available). Same price as bus but door to door, minibus and overall much nicer. Search for europe transfer but be sure to look at shared transfer tab. Just starting to show bookings in Jan.
Many thanks, Andy, good to know. Bookmarked them, I sometimes go solo. http://snow-drone.com/shared-transfers/
They offer shared transfers from 07 Nov, 65 per person,at specific hours. Not suitable for morning/lunch flights.
For 4 persons it would amount to 520 euros, while i paid last april about 490 CHF including all insurances/taxes plus ski roof/winter tyres/snow chains. Excl. parking and fuel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's car hire & (mainly - subject to flight times) free parking every time for me Very Happy

You can drop your bags at your digs and get 2hrs free parking in the main car parks in Val Claret and Le Lac.

Depending on arrival time, you can then either:
- move the car to one of the free car parks at Tignes 1800 or Led Brevieres and get the bus back to Val Claret.
- Move the car as above and then go skiing - and ski back to your digs.
- Pay for one night parking then move the car to a free car park in the morning.

At the end of your stay (& depending on departure time) you can then either:
- Ski down to the car before driving to collect your luggage from your digs.
- Ski down to the car with all your luggage in back packs (ie if you travel light and leave your ski bag in your car). Our usual approach.
- Pay for one night's parking before leaving resort the next morning.

Any of the above are easy enough to do and will save you up to €75 for a week's stay.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
www.findtransfers.com works every time for me. Both for private and shared transfers.

You put your requirements in, and all the different transfer companies pitch in with their best price.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been left stranded by Ben's Bus, due to a 10 min flight delay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
russ_e,

10 minutes! That's shocking!

I can't believe they didn't wait. The queue for luggage at Geneva often takes a lot longer than that. I'm staggered that they gave you no leeway. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bergmeister, During booking Bens Bus website takes your flight arrival and adds sometime for formalities and makes a recommendation for the transfer time. For the last bus the website will not accept an aircraft arrival time less than 1 hour and 5 minutes before the last bus(dummy booking 12 Jan 19.
snow report
I'm really interested in the economics of this. I've always found that for 4 people return a hire car is much cheaper than a private transfer and usually cheaper than a shared transfer. I have a natural aversion to shared transfers though - too many bad experiences either waiting ages for other flights to land, or stopping at every hole in the hedge on the way to resort!
snow report
It's sometimes beyond financial reasons. Some folks don't enjoy driving on snowy roads or having to deal with parking etc.
On the other hand, i enjoy the controlled approach to the mountains, stopping on the road to buy supplies/groceries etc.
Recently returned from Solden. We were 2, rental prices were similar to transfer. Diesel was €16, hotel had underground free parking. But we used the car to climb to the glacier etc.
snow report
Out of interest how long is the drive (hire car) from GVA to Tignes - actual timings rather than Google maps which I never really trust
ski holidays
Last april was almost 3 hours. I imagine it will be much more if snowing/TO time slot.
Didn't take into consideration the burgers outside Albertville. I still miss them.
ski holidays
Ruddster wrote:
Out of interest how long is the drive (hire car) from GVA to Tignes - actual timings rather than Google maps which I never really trust

That's a real piece of string question, so much depends on weather and traffic, it is very variable as is the bus and the pick up of hire car
ski holidays
on a good run 2,5 hours
ski holidays
^^^I'll second that ajc2260626!

We must have driven it 20+ times and 9 times out of 10 it's taken 2h 30m - 2h 45m to/from Tignes Val Claret.

The time is generally the same regardless of whether you go all motorway via Chambery, or take the scenic (shorter in distance and cheaper for tolls) route via Annecy/Lac Annecy.

The Annecy return route can be really slow along by the lake (due to one offending set of traffic lights) at peak times - eg after skiing on a Sunday, or from about 07.30 on a weekday; and you can queue to/from the Swiss/French border at peak times.

On the way back to GVA at busy times, you can turn off and go along the opposite side of the lake (ie avoid Annecy). Never any hold ups that way...

Otherwise, it's best to allow an extra hour if travelling via Annecy at peak times.
latest report
@mountainaddict, Go down the Talloires side of the Lake - fewer lights and very pretty Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy