Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski & customer service

Poster: A snowHead
Was with Crystal 2 weeks ago in Soldeu. Hotel was good, rep(s) were dreadful. Overheard our rep saying how he'd not seen any of his guests all week to which the first choice rep replied 'that's because you're cr@p' then had to wait until he finished chatting before could get my question answered. Night before leaving had a phone call at 11.45pm to say he'd got the transfer time wrong & our coach was leaving at a different time. Transfer rep not much better. Said we'd have a stop 1/2 way then 20mins from airport said no point (driver was a nutter) but at least we wouldn't have to wait around in the airport. Duh! Arriving early meant just that!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953, go to Switzerland. Language isn't an issue there...unless you can't speak as good English as they can wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
richmond, Try first direct for a bank - I switched from the Halifax earlier this year and so far they have been very good.

I do bank with them as it happens, and they're fine. I've just taken a mortgage from The Abbey, and they're bloody awful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, Thanks. Sometimes it's just having the confidence to think outside the T.O. box. Once you realise you can do it, and it all clicks into place, then the world really is anyone's Oyster. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've travelled Crystal or Thomson now for 6 years and are booked again next year. When the kids stop getting the free / reduced child places we will go independant, but currently Crystal suit us well. It cost us about £160 total for the 2 kids for 2 weeks in Kitzbuhel, chalet board in a big, comfortable 2 room suite with bathroom and balcony with race view over race weekend, just over £1600 all together for the family, no way we can find that sort of price independently. We had to discuss prices for next year's holiday with pre-departure services as the invoice was higher than the brochure quoted, but this was very quickly corrected.

Our transfer was good but warm, a bit of a tour of the area, but we saw some interesting places. We were the last on the coach, having got through Saltzburg as quickly as we could, I expect that everyone else had to wait for us while the skis came through. The rep was interested and knew what she was doing, and the main resort rep also was excellent. We wanted a lift pass they didn't usually sell, she phoned through, got the cost, which was exactly the cost quoted on the web, and the passes were delivered the evening we arrived. Difficult to see how this could be improved on.

We stayed in a Crystal chalet in Tignes a few years ago where the food left much to be desired, but was edible and plentiful, in Kitzbuhel it was excellent with 2 proper chefs I think, choice of 2 starters, 4 mains and 2 puddings (plus ice cream). We weren't happy with the bar prices and drinks measures, we handled this by drinking elsewhere.

It's easy to get 10% discount with Crystal, we get it though our ski club, but also all snowdome newsletter readers can get the same discount. We've never had a problem claiming this, it applies to the basic cost plus supplements, but not ski packs or fuel surcharge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used Thompson Ski - never again... A three page letter of complaint which started when they changed the flights by 24 hours without apology etc.

I swear by Inghams now - I've travelled with them twice and have not been able to fault them. Would certainly travel with them again

J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back from a DIY holiday to Termignon / Val Cenis, skiing /snow was brilliant snowHead would always prefer to go independant but have done tour operator in past. Can highly recommend Mark Warner for efficient service, bit pricey but well worth it IMO ! If you look at their website you can even bag last minute bargain deals.

Rich
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jg5118 That's a relief to read. I'm normally a DIY skier, but am going to Lech with Inghams this Saturday, have never used them.

My first experience with a TO was January this year to Les Arcs 2000 with Total. A chalet of 7 had one 18 yr old bloke doing everything and he hadn't the faintest idea what he was doing. Couldn't even get up to make breakfast and all his friends came around when we were eating (miniscule portions) and disappeared off past our table with plates of food! The sheer cheek of it was breathtaking. Resort host was quite good and supervised him once or twice. He was eventually replaced for our last day with the most amazing girl who showed us just what we had been missing all week!

Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used either Thomson or Crystal for the last 6 years and only had one issue - an hour late transfer bus on one trip. Other than that, they've been fine. We have always gone for 3 or 4 star hotels rather than chalets though, if that makes a difference. My fear of booking DIY is that we book the flights and can't get a decent hotel, or book a hotel and can't get the right flights.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Despite my earlier (somewhat lengthy Toofy Grin ) post bemoaning the poor service Thomson gave a couple of years ago, and despite my preference for self drive over flying, this weekend Mrs Axs and I flew Thomson from Coventry to Malaga for a weekend in Marbella. (Snow was Cr@p BTW Very Happy ).

The trip was a bit of a freebie from Marriott as my sister-in-law was looking at buying a timeshare out there. We went with Thomson because I forgot to book the flights until two days before hand (oops Embarassed ) and couldn't get on the easyjet/bmi flights from east Mids.

Flights were about 45 minutes delayed, but that's not too bad, and apart from that I have to say I was impressed. prices were good, and the 'airport' at Coventry is great, so small you can practically park next to your plane! Would defintely use Thomsonfly again, maybe even in preference to EASY/BMI and not just because they were about £100 cheaper.

Still wouldn't touch Thomson as a TO though, not if you paid me. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The internet was the single best creation for the DIY traveller. With the exception of 1 holiday when i was 18 and broke which i booked direct froma teletext page I've never been on a package holiday. Half the fun is planning where, when and how to get somewhere - plus you can cut right through the pricing bulls**t u get with TO's with room supplements etc.

This we paid less for a 200sq/m chalet for a week for 2 adults and a 20m old toddler. We had a view to die for, ski in/out and just about everything we needed, booked direct with a local immobilier as normal. To get some space in an apartment you end up paying silly money normally via a TO as u usally end up sleeping in the lounge etc unless you want to pay £10-£20p/night to get proper rooms.

Safe to say if you put the work in to find what u want, usually you can bag a bargain. Case in point, just sizing up another trip back end of March in the French Alps, apartment for 10 people for £200 or one for up to 7 for £130
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I only paid £210 pppw for half term

Shut up then. That sort of money shouldn't get you a tent, let alone flight, transfer and accommodation.

Terribly sorry old chap but no, I will not shut up. The fact that I was lucky enough to find a £220 holiday doesn't in anyway justifies the poor service given by the crystal reps.
Anyway, to avoid upsetting you any further, I'll now only complain if I paid top wack for my holiday. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was out in Courchevel at the beginning of February and we met quite a few people who were travelling with Crystal who were very unimpressed with them.

We went with SkiWorld and I have nothing but good things to say about them - well organised, efficient and very friendly and courteous.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'll now only complain if I paid top wack for my holiday.

Excellent. If you pay for cheap rubbish, you can hardly complain when what you get is cheap rubbish.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, So you are saying that anyone who purchases a bargain or special offer deserves to get rubbish ?
When I buy any item or service (which include holidays) at a discounted price I still expect to get the same quality as if I had paid full price! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
provenjohn, I think the point Lizzard is making is that you get what you pay for. If a holiday is cheap to start with it's cheap for a reason, discounting the price isn't going to make the experience any better.
snow report
Ah but do you? I have just paid TO £1940.00 for weeks French ski holiday in apartment with 2 kids,2 adults, is that cheap? I don't think so! For that I expect to get good service, I'm obviously wrong then. Confused
latest report
Under £500 each? Sounds fairly cheap to me.
snow conditions
provenjohn, you could have had a catered holiday in our chalet for that money.
snow conditions
I'm staying with crystal in verbier from tomorrow and have been trying to get a contact number for the chalet that we're staying in. Should be simple but first time I called I was told by the person I was speaking to that his teams computers hadn't been updated with this seasons chalet phone numbers....it's March for gods sake, hardly the start of the season...

I think that their automated phone router says it all, options are:
1) Ticket Queries (Lack Thereof)
2) Post Holiday Comments (Complaints)
3) Payment
4) Groups
5) Extras
6) Other

update: i've just spoken to someone else who has told me that they don't hold any contact details for the chalet, so there's no way for me to find out if the guys in the chalet want me to bring anything over...
latest report
Lizzard wrote:

Excellent. If you pay for cheap rubbish, you can hardly complain when what you get is cheap rubbish.

And if you'd paid the full price for it, and still got the same rubbish service, as no doubt some people in the chalet did, are you still allowed to complain ?
ski holidays
toby wright, I'm pretty sure you are, unless it is sold as substandard (that's to say, more substandard than usual).
latest report
Lizzard,

Quote:
Under £500 each? Sounds fairly cheap to me.

Guess you are better off than me then Sad
snow report
David@traxvax, Hi, can you PM me some info? Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
mwareing, you could try the local tourist board to see if they have a number registered or do a general google search to see if the chalet is registered on any other holiday websites etc.
latest report
hayley t, Thanks, I've tried seeing if it's reistered elsewhere, but to no avail
I've opted for Tea & Cheddar on the advice of fellow snowheads
ski holidays
Well I was about to part with over 8k for our trip, you can hardly call that cheap rubbish and the standard of service with their call centre alone was enough to put me off booking with them!
snow report
Gixer, Give me the 8K & I will fix you up with some cheap flights that will leave at a very inconvenient time, be delayed before arriving late at night where you will wait an hour for luggage & then sit 2 hours on cold bus in dark car park. Then have 3 hour transfer in temp. of 90 degrees on crowded bus driven at 30mph to your chosen resort where everything will be closed for the night, rep won't be able to help as He/She hasn't been there before. When you eventually arrive in your accomodation you will find that beds are not made, there is nothing to eat & no loo paper! You could look forward to skiing in morning if only the rep managed to get your pre booked ski passes to you before lunchtime, not really a problem as you will by then have spent most of the morning sorting out hire equipment from the correct shop after rep sent you to wrong one!
And so on........
Reminds me of a trip 3 years ago Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was about to part with over 8k for our trip,

Cost per head? Packages are costed per person (hence the single room supplement - you are effectively occupying two beds), so the figure of 8k is a bit irrelevant unless you say how many you are.

If that's for two of you, I assume you're looking at Descent International. (Though I don't suppose thay operate anything as proletarian as a call centre.) Laughing
snow conditions
Sarge wrote:
Looking for an independant chalet in Val D for next year...any ideas folks ?

We are going with Ski Val in April - mainly because a friend works for them.
Seem pretty good so far.

http://www.skival.co.uk/index.asp

Went with Crystal once - never been again Laughing I've heard Air tours are pretty grim too.

Been with Ski World a fair few times and no complaints.
latest report
Lizzard, Read earlier posts! The whole sad story has already been documented.
snow conditions
We're off to Val Cenis with Crystal next Sunday & I've just had a telephone call from the resort rep asking if we require any information or whether we'd like him to book anything for us etc.

Crystal have taken a bit of stick in this thread but I was impressed with this.
ski holidays
spyderjon,
Quote:

We're off to Val Cenis with Crystal next Sunday & I've just had a telephone call from the resort rep asking if we require any information or whether we'd like him to book anything for us etc.

Wow, never had that level of service from a TO, no matter what the price. Perhaps they have been reading this thread Very Happy
ski holidays
spyderjon, We had similar help from Interski when we went to Courmayeur and Pila. The rep called us the day before from the slopes to brief us on snow conditions, where we would meet and to ask if we had any special requests. Interski are the only TO who have made us feel 'looked after'. Sadly they only opertae in the Aosta Valley.
latest report
Just got back from a crystal week and feel bound to stick up for them, yes the transfers were awful and the rep was rather poor too (there again he left the job on our last day so I guess he was feeling a little less than motivated at the time) but the bits I actually care about were great; excellent location, friendly chalet staff who stayed up till 1am to serve us dinner, and made us special send off bacon sarnies even though we started leaving at 6am, decent food, unlimited wine, lift passes arrived by 8.30am on the first day all present and correct, no hard sell on the trips and extras, lovely flight with first choice from stanstead at decent times both ways (delayed due to the snow but that really isn't their fault given the current conditions!) and able to get extra legroom seats both ways, everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful even when we had to start cancelling things with 48 hours notice due to a friend getting injured just before we departed. For ~£450 including lift pass I was very pleased. I've also enjoyed SkiFrance, FirstChoice and Topps Travel holidays in the past - if you fit the 'profile' of couples, pairs of mates or couples with kids for 1 week flying from a london airport on a saturday wanting central accomodation the package operators, especialy late avail or special offer, give great value for money imo...

aj xx
snow report
Stretch0212, am speaking from personal experience. I politely declined their interview as I was lucky enough to get a job working for a company who respects and looks after their staff. Have a look through my postings and you may have found that out. Embittered Crystal employee are we? figures.

Incidently I also have a degree in HR and am a member of the CIPD.
snow conditions
Anyone who has ever had the misfortune to fly via Chambery with Crystal will no doubt be unanimous in their condemnation of the company. They are bloody awful.

I still have nightmares over a return journey from Alpe D two years ago which, door to door, took 21 hours. We ended up returning via Lyon on a chartered Argentina Airways 747, the sorry saga taking longer than it took me to travel to Thailand on my honeymoon. The whole journey was a shambles, and the customer "care" when I dared to complain a joke. Oh, but at least I got a voucher at Chambery for a plate of chips, so it wasn't all bad.

Do It Yourself is the only option - at least then you know who to blame if it goes tits up.
latest report
Hey - I've been on that argentina airways 747 too (courtesy of olympic airways after 20 hour delay in athens) - they are like the guardian angels of the charter world I think Happy
snow conditions
Just got back from El Tarter, Andorra, with Crystal and am very pleased to say (especially in light other posts here) that we had absolutely no problems at all and our whole group thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Crystal chalet host (we stayed at the Chalet Xantal), Steve, was a great character and we had a great time with him and the rest of the chalet guests. I had had very grave doubts about travelling with Crystal, and perhaps mine was a luckier experience than most, but I would *consider* going with Crystal again, although for next season I am checking out Inghams and the possibility of going independent as recommended.

In the meantime, a shameless plug for Steve at the Chalet Xantal - I don't know if he will be there much longer but if anybody is going out there before the end of the season I know you will have a great time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
snowshine, Isnt it great when ones expectations are exceeded
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy