Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP: Ski Lesson

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I’m a young 40 something male and have wanted to learn to ski for many moons. That bit over...

What I’m seeking to know (as per message title) are recommendations for the best school and location to do this. Really only interested in European locations, 3-4 days max and a place that is big enough and fun to explore on and off piste.

Hope this is enough and look forward to any help out there.

Cheers

Chewy Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chews1977, Welcome to SHs and a noble ambition Happy

Be aware that 3-4 days is not enough to "learn to ski" and not enough time to get solid enough to be off piste.

That aside, as a "raw" beginner, your needs mountain wise are pretty low, but a good instructor / class is a must.

If you can get some time in at a Snow Dome in the UK, that would be enormously useful. A couple of SHs run a very good school called "Inside Out" - search that here and have a look at their site. In fact, you could do much worse than go on one of their trips, if one suits.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
If you can get some time in at a Snow Dome in the UK, that would be enormously useful. A couple of SHs run a very good school called "Inside Out" - search that here and have a look at their site. In fact, you could do much worse than go on one of their trips, if one suits.
Many thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately we don't teach beginners. The 'entry point' for our lessons is a good snowplough turn on gentle blue pistes, so we're not able to provide lessons for complete beginners. For those who meet that minimum standard we are happy to help them progress up to and including their first ski instructor exams if that's something they are interested in Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chews1977, also a welcome to snowHeads from me. The more common pattern for European ski schools for complete beginners is a week of group lessons (typically a few hours each day rather than full days). If you are looking for a short break it might be difficult to find a ski school which offers group lessons for two or three days, so you might be looking at either private lessons or paying for a full week and dropping out half way through. If this latter option is best for you, as a beginner it is crucially important that you join in at the start of the lessons on Day 1 rather than trying to join the course half way through.

Typically, beginners do not make enough progress to properly ski off-piste in deep snow, but if you get fresh snow during your first week on skis some beginners can enjoy the sensations of skiing through soft snow on a firm base.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chews1977, did you ever skate board, surf ?

If so the snowboarding learning curve might be more suited to your requirements ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
By ‘off piste’ do you mean around town? Otherwise it’s too much to expect to be skiing off piste in your first week
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a slightly odd second post given this is your first post... so are you already a snowboarder?

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @Chews1977! As a recent beginner, starting late as well, I wish you all the best - it's really fun!

Echo what's said above about getting to a snow dome if you can to pick up the very basics, it really helps if you can at least deal with putting your skis on and doing a snow plough before going away.

We had our second trip (and our first was only a couple of days trying the skiing) to Trysil in Norway. The ski school there was brilliant for us, as they aim for it being fun - the resort even has a super-mini snow park to try out jumps... Our lessons were half on the very easy green and blues all over the resort, and half playing in the snow park and 'off pist', across shallow snowy bits and in trees. I swore quite a lot. wink Could suit you though if you want to try a bit of everything on your first go. snowHead The ski hire shop were super helpful and patient as well, which is rather useful as a beginner. Oh, and they have night skiing, which is also fun and means you can keep skiing for longer even on the dark days.

The resort is quiet - better over at Touristcenter - but we were so knackered trying to learn that apres would have been wasted on us (like, keeping eyes open over dinner was a challenge)! There are beginner runs all over the hill so as a beginner you can practice easily and feel like you are moving about rather than practising on the same run all the time. Yes, it's expensive, but not horrifically so - self catering helps, and bringing some booze with you (we took a bottle of whisky and topped up in the booze shop at the airport).

The Skistar website has all you need to know, and also seems to have deals on for short breaks accommodation and passes; we flew over with Norwegian, and got a bus transfer up to resort.

There will be plenty of other resorts and opinions, but that was our learn to ski experience. Have to say, I always fancied Val Cenis for a trip as it has the longest green apparently, and people say good things about that resort on here...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not look at Neilson and Crystal ski for package deals? I did a weeks beginner skiing in Andorra for £750 last year with everything including flights, transfers, hotel, food, lessons, lift pass, ski rental. One of the best things I’ve ever done with myself, I’m absolutely hooked now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd echo a few comments above - I started skiing at 38, and booked a Neilson deal (as I didn't know what i wanted in a ski holiday so a package seemed to work), and went to Soldeu in Andorra which was perfect for beginners, with lots of easy blues and the ability to ski a large chunk of the mountain after a couple of days. Plus Soldeu was a great resort.

Definitely try and get some dry slope lessons before you go too
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy