Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Are, Sweden in March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Tell me about your experience, thinking of going but put off by short days in Jan/Feb. Is it cold enough in the later season? Is the snow okay?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I only go there in March/April! (not that cold (usualy) - and nice daylight. Only a pist skier. Nice place many appartments have own Sauna. Most self catering. Eating out not cheap at all - but nice places to be found (if you are willing to pay).

March should not be a problem with snow.

Åre can be a bit expensive to stay, but cheaper places can be found in Duved and Tegefjell.

Are you alone or part of a party/family? There are a few Pension like places that can be difficult to find (half board). Do you plan to have car?

Are you a offpiste person?

@Themasterpiece has a appartment in Åre. wink I am sure he will come back to you on you question. Madeye-Smiley

Do you know if anybody took over FREERIDE lodge? Have been looking for a place to stay in Mottaret after he closed down.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 31-10-18 18:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went there in March last year, we had decent snow, although we were told that it hadn't been great recently and we were relatively lucky that week.

There are a couple of trip reports (including mine) on this thread here if it helps:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130812&highlight=

We (2 adults 1 small child) stayed in Copperhill and really liked it, will definitely go back (to Åre, Copperhill is very nice, but quite far from the main slopes so may consider different accommodation next time...although you can actually ski in/out the lift up to the hotel shuts quite early as does the shuttle bus).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hyst, Thats good to hear thanks! The UK tour operators seem to stop coming mid March which could have been lack of snow but more likely lack of customer demand.

sorry dont know about the Freeride lodge but my place is available to rent Wink

@vjmehra, The Copperhill looks fab, interesting to hear that the lift back shuts early, can you ski in without it?

Very early stages but Im thinking of possibly running a group trip there with a bit of on and off piste if the snow is good (but nothing dramatic) lots to think about, apt vs hotel, transfers/cars, airports etc but the resort looks and sounds nice...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, Åre is mainly a piste place (Themasterpiece may have an other view), but if you go to other mountain in the area there are posibilities, but not with lifts.

Coppenhill is somewhat on the top in Björnen you have to take the lift. (not my pricerange), if wanting nightlife stay down in Åre, Duved and Tegefjell have no real nightlife.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/SkiStar+%C3%85re/@63.3850003,13.1586524,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x21cec9161ae66729!8m2!3d63.402452!4d13.0762549

If you want good food one night try: http://villatottebo.se/en/home-3/ (remember your Diamont Credit Card)

Thank you for your suggestion, have seen your appartment for long time! wink But had greats deal with FREEride lodge. Sad (and I am a terrible cook)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimottaret, daylight is not a problem later in mid-late Feb when we've been to Are. Skiing world cup is there 5-17 Feb. this year so may be avoid those dates? I quite enjoyed the skiing - there's a couple of trip reports on here somewhere. Having a car is a bonus because the Duved area is separate from Are itself.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dobby, would be in 2020 just trying to get some info... last week of feb probably or mid march depending on other trips... probably won't have a car so will plan accordingly...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As @Hyst, mentioned, Copperhill isn't possible to ski into once the lift is shut...but they do seem to allow helicopters to land there if that helps wink

It was a really nice hotel, but location wise, not ideal....that said, if you don't mind about finishing up a bit early its perfectly possible to ski in/out from.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys anyone have any reports on the FjallGarden hotel vs the Copperhill?
I am looking at week of 15 March 2020 and hopefully snow and flights/transfers will still be running at that point

any preference in airports or things to consider Trondheim vs. Östersund ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've only stayed at Copperhill, which we'd happily go back to, but the FjallGarden looks decent too, so I can't really compare, however with regards to flights.

Quote:

I am looking at week of 15 March 2020 and hopefully snow and flights/transfers will still be running at that point

They typically stop in April, so I think you should be fine then.

Quote:

It will probably be dictated by when you want to go in all honesty.

When we looked, the Trondheim flights arrived around 11pm and with a small child, we decided the early flight from Gatwick to Are was better, its also a shorter transfer by (I think) 30 mins (1hr 15 vs 1hr 45). Also Are Ostersund airport has a play area, which is kind of handy (and is very small, so the queues are minimal).

Oh also, I seem to recall that the Are flights are only on Sundays (from Gatwick), whereas Trondheim has more options.

If we go again (and we have every intention of doing so), we'll simply choose based on arrival time (and cost)!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Åre time again, leaving at 13.51.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:

Can’t comment on the hotels themselves, but Fjällgården is a much better location with better access from the pistes and from the village via the Bergbana funicular. View from Copperhill is better.

Self catering apartment are dead easy to book via the Skistar website.

Snow will be fine in March. Åre is best in March-April, days are longer. We were there last April and it was fantastic on and offpiste. This February it wasn’t great as it’s been warm and windy. Plenty of offpiste if the lifts to the top are open - classic runs down the backside and the ravines - and if they are drop everything and get up there ASAP. Here you get feel
http://youtube.com/v/TTYz5Hxl-xE. Skiing starts 4 mins in
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:

Just returned from Åre yesterday - nice week with changeable weather - high zone closed quite some days only one day it was possible to go to the very top.

Hotels you look at are high end hotels - if that is ok with you choose Fjälgården as @Themasterpiece says.

Do not know transfer from Trondheim or Östersund - but from Östersund you can take the train all season -could look into that.

If you want cheaper lodging for one person look at hotel Rennen in Duved - but Duved is a dead end for afterskiing or shopping. Or may by http://www.parkvillan.se/ with there own brewery and bar downstairs - very center of Åre.

Rennen is dead cheap - 2 persons hotelroom, breakfast and liftcard all together 750 pound - and of course free bus. Trainstaion 150 m away lift 70 m away but have to take bus to Åre - Duved and Tegefjäll are the local.

Åre is not a large skiing resort but I like the the feeling of the middel of nowhere. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad to have come across this thread, thanks to Dobby. We're taking the night train sleeper from Stockholm on March 15, then returning via Ostersund airport a week later.

Had a good look at all the hotels - thought the Copperhill looked excellent but remote and the Fjallgarden had mixed reviews. So we plumped for the Aregarden - not a bad price at all for the pair of us! Handy for the railway station and bars and restaurants.

Also got a good early deal on the lift pass through the Skistar website. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy