Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The first cut is the deepest. Heated insoles....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I intend to fit some boot heaters (to my footbeds) but am unsure where to cut the liners to feed through the power cable; my boots and liners for reference are Dalbello Lupo AX and their IF Air liners.

I have seen other liners with an imprint of where to make the incision, but not on my pair. Is there anywhere specific I should or should not make the cut; should I make a cut at all?

..Nick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it depends on the type of heated insoles you have. If they are the small panels that go under your toe area then every pair I have had has had the cut directly under where the panel fits, and the cable is then taped underside of the liner. I’ve never had any issues with this method over 20+ years and multiple boots.

I have also seen liners with the cut at the heel, which means the cable runs under the footbed for the entire length of the boot, and then the the cut is in a potential weak spot in the seam.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@big_ben, we take most of them out lateral side at the heel, on a race liner we take them out at the medial arch and then spiral the cable around the liner behind the ankle, every boot and placement is different, i have also seen people take them out at the toes and route the cable over the top of the foot
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you to both for your replies.

@PowderAdict, yes, they are the small heated elements (Therm-ic insole elements) to fit under the toe area; I'm happy make a small cut in the insole to feed the cable through and to tape the cable to the underside of the insole.

@CEM, I will have a closer look at the liner to see if there are some defined areas to cut (there are on my Atomic liners), if not will look for a non-stressed area.

Thanks again,

Nick
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@big_ben, ....just before you jump...here’s a bit of a left field view. I have sorted a lot of people (particularly difficult teenagers in my family) who have genuinely suffered from cold feet but not by heated boots, by:

- making sure boots are completely dry each evening
- ensuring that the body core (chest and torso) is adequately insulated
- boot fit, insole fit and sock choice is optimum
- check incursion points re snow (some historical Atomic boots have really bad leak points)
- never over-tighten boots over the bridge of the foot, shutting off blood supply to the foot

I guess it’s vital to remember that feet have over 2000 sweat glands - mine just leak sweat continuously, and artificially heating feet can really mess up body regulation, actually increasing sweat rates and therefore foot cooling, which is particularly problematic when your battery power runs out.....

The Inuit don’t have battery powered foot heaters and don’t get cold feet because they carefully regulate core temperature......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @valais2,

I am probably the least cold person I know and 'nearly' never suffer with cold feet, a lot due to already adhering to your advice above.

....however, there were a couple occasions last season when we skied in what I'd consider really cold conditions, and owing to a number of circumstances out of our control there was a lot of hanging around outdoors waiting for lifts to reopen; this is when I would start to feel the cold.

I will fit them and probably hardly ever use them, but at least they are there for when I do need them.

Nick
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@big_ben, ...that makes a lot of sense....I suffered badly from cold feet when looking after my infants - the year 2 to year 4 period - and dealt with it by buying some really roomy park boots (Salomon 1080s) which are now redundant - and I can see entirely your rationale for the heaters.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy