Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chandolin - looking for accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

One of my friends is going to Chandolin in the new year and Im trying to organise a group holiday somewhere nearby.

Can anyone recommend any sites for holidays in this area? Ideally wed be looking for a catered chalet style holiday but could change to self catering if it was nearby to Chandolin

None of the sites I normally use seem to offer holidays to this area, either that or Im looking at the wrong places.

Im searching for Sierre-Anniviers area is that correct? Is that the proper name of the full ski area like port de soliel etc?

Am I missing any larger resorts in the area?

Ive found St Luc and Grimintez but I can only find 1 apartment so far.

Any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@medlington, the area as a whole is called the Val d'anniviers. The main villages within the ski area are Zinal, Grimentz, St. Luc / Chandolin. You can also stay in Vissoie and get the bus, it's quite central for all of them. Sierre is in the valley and would be a bit of a long bus journey to and from each day but still doable.

https://m.valdanniviers.ch/carte-anniviers/carte.php?lng=EN

There are not many catered chalets about.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might find some chalets on alpine answers website
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are the various areas connected? At all, other than by postbus?

I’d be amazed if there was an Anglo style chalet biz going on anywhere there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chandolin and St luc are on opposing flanks of the valley "entrance" with no ski link that I know of.

Zinal, you have always been able to ski to Grimentz from, and with the new lift you can now get back rather than post bus. I'm not aware of a ski routes from Grimentz to Zinal as it's generally a little lower in the sections facing Zinal's higher sector.

So only real connections are ski from Z to G then back to Z via lift. If that makes sense.

Zinal is at the far left corner of the blind valley with Grimentz on the far right corner as you approach on road.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@medlington, airbnb is probably your best bet. There's quite a few self-catering chalets available locally. While we're on the subject of Swiss skiing, the Magic Pass is amazing value and includes Val D'Anniviers if you're spending any time there, although you're too late the for the best price this year...currently CHF 549 for a full season in 30 different resorts (though not, sadly, the really big ones).

https://www.magicpass.ch/en/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski3, you've got St Luc and Chandolin mixed up with Vercorin, St Luc and Chandolin are essentially one ski area but Vercorin is on the other side of the valley. Also the black piste from Zinal to Grimentz is very unlikely to be open in January but the lifts connecting Grimentz to Zinal will ve
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rambotion, yes apologies to other poster's for the inaccuracy.

I've driven round to all of them as well Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are chalets available in Val d’Anniviers but not with any large UK tour operator. One of the good points, imho. There are a number of small, independent companies for chalet management and lets, example in link below and there are a number of Airbnb/Chalet d’Hote.

https://www.frozenaction.ch

The drive from Grimentz/Zinal to St Luc/Chandolin is straight forward.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know you are looking for a chalet but there is a cracking hotel in Chandolin, the Chandolin Boutique Hotel (not the most adventurous of names granted)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Goliard, meals to reheat isn't - I don't think - what most people would consider as "catered chalet style", at least in the "traditional" sense wink

(Not suggesting this is a bad thing, mind you).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name,

Not my website, the OP wanted some advice!

Catered chalets of the 'traditional' sense in parts of Switzerland are becoming more scarce as the minimum wage impact makes it expensive. This was a post on here if I recall?

In Val d'Anniviers there appear to be precious few catered chalets, so what is on offer, from the website, is an option if folks don't want to cook for themselves...seems a reasonable compromise to me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Goliard, wasn’t criticising you. As I said, I’d be amazed if “trad” English chalet operator that easy to find.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @medlington, I would suggest that you take a look at https://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/ they are a UK based company and offer catered and non catered accomodation in Grimentz if that is where you want to be based. The drive between Grimentz and Chandolin is a good mountain road but it is steep and has number of tight hairpins, it is served daily by the Post Bus service. You would need to be confident driving in the alps to do it daily driving yourself. I suspect that the hotel mentioned above may be the Hotel Bella Tola https://www.bellatola.ch/en/ which is in fact in St Luc (linked to the Chandolin ski area). It is fantastic hotel and restaurant but pricey at the best if times but particularly so at New Year. It has won boutique hotel of the year awards in the passed. There are a number of other hotels on that side of the valley and I am sure they will also be very comfortable.
As for going to the Val d'Anniviers you will not be disappointed it is a superb ski area and alpine playground at any time of the year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must admit if I was going to be going partly to ski with someone in Chandolin I would probably want to be based in either St Luc or Chandolin, my memory of the post bus is that it took a while from Grimentz. I also seem to remember that St Luc / Chandolin are on the sunny side of the valley which might be nice if going close to New Year.
latest report
@medlington, i have just taken a quick look at their website; sorry my advice is incorrect Mountain Heaven are no longer offering catered chalets in Grimentz. I agree with@T Bar, staying in Chandolin/St Luc would be a better idea overall but I think it'll be hotel or self-catered over there. The whole valley is reasonable for sunshine without causing the snow to degrade too quickly. Grimentz/Zinal face east so get morning sun that fades early afternoon at that time of the year. St Luc and Chandolin face west so the sun is later arriving but persists generally until the lifts shut.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info, looks like it will be a self catered airbnb as the hotel looks a little out of my price range.

Now to convince the snowboarders in the group that all the drag lifts around there arnt too bad Wink
snow conditions
For me, the Val d'Anniviers experience is all about going to the different areas from day to day, for which Vissoie at the centre of the valley is a good bet as a base, with free postbuses heading to each of the villages (except Vercorin IIRC) every morning at early and civilized times.

Otherwise, with interest rates being as they are, remortgaging and opting for the Bella Tola would not be something you'd regret on your deathbed, it's a fabulous hotel.
snow report
@Ugo, Bella Tola really is a nice place. It's expensive, but a good value in my opinion. The owners are charming hosts, and the food was outstanding.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy