Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee 1976 to 2006

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from my second holiday there, my first was 30years ago and I must say, my childhood memories have been somewhat dashed.
The holiday was saved by the beauty of the village and mountains, stunning is an understatemet, apres ski was pretty good as well. We discovered Nesti's bar on the first day and returned every day. Few Brits in the bar at half term which was kind of nice. Friendly locals/staff/instructors and a huge pile of snow outside for the kids to play in. It also appeared to be a base for the strange pre Lent festivals that include a brass/oopah/samba band and clowns who chase and beat you ! One night they marched up and down town at 04:00 - it was quite surreal to be woken by that. Our "chalet" Erika, was above the Happy Bar, on the outskirts of town, both chalet and bar were garbage.
Anyway, to the stuff that matter, snow and skiing.
The snow was brilliant (18 - 25th Feb) but too much!, all but 2 nursery slopes closed for 1 day due to avalanche risk. Despite the snow stopping before dawn, it wasn't until the afternoon that the dynamite was heard. The nursery slopes were pisted and ready for action when we arrived at the slopes ~ 09:00, but they didn't open until 10:30, so massive queues and frustration. the next day, most of the mountain was open, but still not 100% for 3 days, so all in all the resorts ability to deal with snow is poor !
Lifts - as mentioned everywhere, pretty antique, but the new AlpinExpress is good, as is the Plattjen cable car. Very expensive pass for very limited skiing.
Long walk (with kids) to nursery slopes and the 2 slopes not connected and require a short steep climb. Why no temporary small drags to get us to them ? Embarassed
Felskin big Cable car is also good, but suffered from BIG queues - the secret is get there before 9:45 when the ski schools and parents head up the mountain. leave it until 10am and you've an hours queue. New restaurant half way down Felskin, "Morenia" or something like that is good value and efficient.
Once at the top of Felskin lift you have a long hike through a tunnel to get either to the piste or the brillinat train to the top of the mountain, a real pain (a red run from here was closed, so no option) In the US that would be a travelator. Skiing from the very top was brillinat with great cruising blueish reds. The reds on the whole were good and challanging as were the blacks. Plattjen often out of the sun, so flat light made it hard in the afternoon.
Ski school - initial chaos sorts itself out and they were very good - moved kids as requested who had been put in the wrong group by me.
A great night time walk is to head up the main street out of town, no cars, piles of snow and just the occasional white street light - no idea where it went, it was magical.
In summary, lots of walking and poleing to be done, runs short, poor links, T bars and buttons galore. By far my worst ski holiday, maybe I've been spoilt by the big Euro resorts, but still a brilliant time, 6 out of 10.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that'll do for now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy