Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea - 2018/2019 - Sauze/Sestriere etc... - (6/12/18 - Bit mild... snow this weekend though!)

Poster: A snowHead
Haven't used them for ski servicing (just hire), but Besson Sport have given really good, friendly service to my buddies and I on trips to Sauze in the last two years. I'd also say the kit they have rented to us was in the best nick I've had from a mainstream rental shop. They are on the edge of the main square in Sauze, just on the road down from the Clotes lift.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just noticed that Prali’s webcam is showing snow and it looks quite heavy. I know it’s not Via Lattea, but it is the friendly little neighbour and it leaves its webcams broadcasting all night. We will see if Sauze and Sestriere have benefited when their cams update in the morning.

http://www.praliskiarea.com/

Wepowder showing some interesting snow event next week for Piedmont. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know when the Via Lattea links out of Sestriere usually close? Am looking at booking a very large group trip first week of Easter hols 2020. The lift pass goes into low season on 1 April, but I cannot find anything that says what that means in terms of what would be intended to be open. If we could only ski the Setriere area, we would go somewhere else. Crystal not being clear on the matter, just telling me that the resort will be open....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rg1, I think the whole via lattea is usually open for the first week of April. Montgenevre is sometimes the only place open in the second week (or possibly Montgenevre/Claviere). The Italian side shuts first irrespective of snow conditions. Possibly because there is not enough demand to keep the lifts open beyond the first week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rg1, I think the Italian side has a fairly rigid, predictable season length so if it says it is open, I would expect it to be fully open (noting that if it is quiet some duplicate lifts close). As snowymum says, the French side is open longer. A local told me that this is because the Italian side is privately owned and Italian electricity is very expensive. The French side has a civic element to its ownership and benefits from cheaper French electricity. I also note that the Italians seem to only have a short school holiday for Easter and perhaps this also changes the maths.

I would just note that most resorts only forecast their opening/closing dates. I think Via Lattea is conservative in its forecast, is pretty high and Montgenevre certainly keeps going, so the overall risk is probably lower than at some lower resorts that might try to stagger on to the bitter end.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like Sauze / Monty has had a dusting today with more at the weekend . .?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feels like more than a dusting. Just skied down from Sportinia to Clotes and still going lightly, but you can start to see an accumulation over your boots as you ski
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just had my first of 2 weeks here. pistes are really suffering. colder today so not so much damage but it looks like and felt like April conditions.
Whole areas, such as Moncrons, and Sansicario bubble, closed for skiing.
has been 17c in the village, t shirt weather... praying for the forecast dump next week. In the meantime, stay high!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rg1, bear in mind that the wind has as much impact on what is open.... links or of Sauze shut today due to wind....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did last Thurs at Souze on a day trip from Montgenevre . . .pistes looking very spartan in places . . . upper sections of the treelined runs ok / lower sections need snow.

Best thing was Ciao Pais for lunch - at least that's consistently excellent!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the updates.... keep them coming as we arrive in a weeks time, the web cams are looking a bit grim on some of the slopes as you say Sad .
Praying you get some form of a "top-up" this week Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Praying for you!

Don't want to stress you out but the bottom of Clotes (next to the travellator) was pretty brown . . .runs from Sportinia to Clotes were also sketchy and they are letting people download on the chair from the top of Clotes to presumably alleviate the bottleneck mayhem . . .

Higher runs better but there are still some runs closed off the top of Fraiteve (previous major accident). Sansicario area (which was holding up) via the Olympic black run was good fun. . .if in doubt - get over to the Ciao Pais, have a massive lunch, forget about skiing and enjoy the food / sun!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah our accommodation is at the bottom of the Clotes lift so this will be our route up/home each day. rolling eyes Hoping the temps would just drop somewhat so the blowers could kick in for a while at least... failing all that, one of our lot turns 40 whilst we're out there so I think the Ghost bar profits could well be up next week Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Spike107, . . .and / or get over to Claviere / Montgenevre / Serre Chevalier for a couple of day trips. . .snow holding up better in these resorts!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, we've done Montgenevre a couple of years back and loved it on this side so we'll make sure we get over again.
snow conditions
@Spike107, snowing now
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
@Spike107, snowing now
Get in!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Anyone still out there...? the web cams haven't updated for the past 2 days so would be good to know if any snow is due. We arrive on Sunday Cool
ski holidays
Currently snowing lightly in the village.... hope it’ll be sustained as per forecast.
snow report
....and its been snowing overnight, good 2 inches in the village, and snowing heavily as i write.
snow report
@ Hamilton

Long may it continue Very Happy

Just looked at the webcams... what a transformation from horrible brown piste at the bottom of Clotes!
snow conditions
@Spike107, @hamilton,

Thank goodness, we fly out late next week, was beginning to get worried! Thanks for the updates.
latest report
conditions much improved, on and off piste. spent most of yesterday lapping Colo and playing in Basset bowl. wind has moved the snow around, so varies from wind crust to boot deep powder offpiste, and pistes now a bit firmer. offpiste getting heavy in the afternoon sun. offpiste in sansicario still too thin.
more snow needed!
ski holidays
Dutch Week in Sauze.
snow conditions
... and it’s been _really_ warm today, our usual metric of schussing from the bottom of the Bourget drag to Plan Roca is now impossible in the pm as snow is wet. Very mild in town tonight. Some mixed doable o/p today, but limited to north facing or shady slopes - top of bourget drag o/p was nice, but lower in the forest almost unsuitable as so warm.
ski holidays
Got back from Sauze on Sunday after a week... have to say, loved the Apres and feel of the place after skiing, some great live acts in some of the bars. Ski conditions were not great really... first few days were solid ice, followed by wind shutting lifts over to Sansicario/Sestriere. We got stuck in Sansicario and had to taxi back as some of the group didn't want to tackle the blacks back due to the conditions.
Had a much needed dump on the Thurs night which we thought would be ideal as we were off to Montgenerve the next day only to find not one piste had been bashed over there... coupled with strong winds again preventing us getting to our favourite runs from a previous trip was gutting Crying or Very sad
The last day back in Sauze was much better and our favourite day of the week... perfect conditions and warm sunshine was bliss Cool The run down to Clotes each afternoon got worse each day with melting snow.

Enjoyed Sauze but probably wouldn't go back again tbh...maybe the weather conditions is dictating my review which is unfair as you have crap weather in any resort. If your a beginner I would avoid Sauze and go to Montgenerve instead as the pistes are more favourable and less steep for learning etc.
snow conditions
@Spike107 It's the luck of the draw really. I've had trips to Sauze each of the last two seasons before this. Snow conditions were brilliant both times (visibility a bit less so, particularly last year) and it was some of the most enjoyable skiing I've done. Last year just about everywhere had more snow than they knew what to do with and Sauze was no exception, but in 2017 when almost everywhere was struggling Sauze bucked the trend and had tons of the stuff. This year clearly they have done worse than most places, so that makes it about even in my book. I wouldn't let it put you off - especially once the red and blue link runs from Sansicario open up again.
snow report
@Spike107, agree with this . . .

Sauze is a great resort for all sorts of reasons but you need to hit it at short notice and with good conditions . . the poor piste keeping / lift infrastructure means there are better options elsewhere when conditions are scratchy . . . . . .IMHO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Spike107, was there the same time as you couldn’t have put better!like your self probably won’t be back, @Belchdefiantly piste keeping/ and lift infrastructure needs to be higher on their list of priorities , but I really did like the place
snow report
Not Via Lattea (which closed a month ago) but neighboring plucky little Prali (I have no affiliation) is still going strong. I think it is now only open weekends, but I think it’s one of two Italian resorts still open.

They are ‘ Prali ski area’ on Facebook and the internet. Again, I have no affiliation- I just think it’s great that a small resort in the southern Alps, seemingly run by enthusiasts, puts the effort in to stay open. They obviously consider it a matter of local pride. Good effort!
ski holidays
any updates from 2020 season? Will be or in a week...
snow conditions
I posted a trip report on Sauze last month if you’re interested. Search reviews. There will obviously have been changes to the snow since then but it’s a start. Also check out sauze online.com he does a really good snow report weekly and there’s lots of info on his website.
ski holidays
Here’s the link to my trip rep.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150473
latest report
Thanks, sounds like you made the most of the conditions which are much as I expected.... hope more snow in the next two weeks.!
ski holidays
Day 2 in Sauze. full on spring conditions. pistes ice in first thing, softening by 11, slushy by 1. bluebird days & factor 50!. most runs open, but desperate need of freh snow. Chalmettes still accesible, so all good for lunch. storm due wednesday....
ski holidays
I know this is a really silly question.....but....

We are heading to the area on Sunday, actually staying in Bardonecchia but planning at least one day in Sauze. Has the mass panic from other parts of Italy reached the resorts yet? I assume places are still open (bars and restaurants) and supermarkets aren't empty?
snow report
Day 4. Still no snow - Bergfex has let us down! The runs in Sestriere are in the best condition of the Italian portions, and we could ski down to Pragelato (the Club Med resort / cable car). Higher up, runs are very firm, patches of ice, but not too bad considering. Lower runs in Sauzy in the pm looking _very_ bare in places.

@Fridge03, no obv signs of panic yet. Main driver will be any Foreign Office or euro equivalent to say ‘do not travel’.
snow conditions
and its dumping now... been snowing most of the day, windy as f×*k, and bitterly cold. links shut, and lago nero closed for a while.
long lunch at ciao pais.....
snow report
Peachy day yesterday in Montgenèvre. Snow line down to the valley floor as we took the bus. Bluebird conditions, plenty of fresh pow in the Gondrans sector, and in the valleys of the Aigle. Quiet too, so a couple of happy hours lapping chairs, and some of the fluffiest knee deep snow I’ve ever skied, in the quieter north facing slopes. Snow line had retreated to town level on our return, but looking good for the weekend here...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBSauzedOulx For some pix and clips...
snow conditions
.... and it just keeps getting better. Snowed all last night, so several inches of powder on the pistes... and it snowed all day. By late afternoon, it was thigh deep in some of the easy access off-piste, and face shots were achieved. The poor viz kept the crowds away, and having been on both the first and last lifts out of Clotes today, I’m absolutely knackered. But smiling. Had two hours on ‘jumps and bumps’ with a local guide - which was a nice mix of technique, followed by hooning through the forests, and ‘dealing’ with the terrain. Serious contender for ‘best days skiing’, and winner by a mile when value for money is factored in. Stoked doesn’t begin to describe it. Will try to update the blog with some pix and stuff when I’ve stopped buzzing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy