Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2018/1019

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah fantastic wintry ski day today. Another 10cm overnight and some nice wind blown powder off the Herse chair.

Up early enough for fresh lines in the Lavancher bowl this morning. Pierre Ric was great this afternoon. Heavy showers in Chamonix tonight means more fresh snow to ski tomorrow. Great stuff Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An even more fantastic powder day. Another good 20cms of cold wintry snow on top of the fantastic base meant that everything was in perfect condition again up above Argentierre.

We had a couple of stellar runs into the Combe Pendant late morning in the sun. Just perfect Cool

Sadly last day of the season for me but still another week to go here in Chamonix before the end of season party.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The mountains are clear this morning with another covering of new now above 1300m.
Sadly, time to leave.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied fresh tracks down the Petit Envers yesterday. Snow right at the start was glorious but it got heavy quite soon and I found it hard going. Can still get to the steps avoiding the ladders with a short hike.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cooling down again after Thursday. Could be another weekend of fresh off piste skiing snowHead

Anyone out till the closing day on Sunday I think ? Lots of English voices to be heard there earlier this week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another 15cms possible this afternoon and tonight. And then another 20cms on Saturday. Lifts closed today and tomorrow reopening on Saturday and Sunday for the end of season party.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't know if there are any Vallee Blanchers left out there, but there still a fair bit of snow around. At the end It is a 10 minute walk on the sad snout of the Mer de Glace to the steps which is a million times better than hauling up the ladders.

The french side is transforming to spring snow, the Italian has quite a bit of sun affected fresh snow. Both should be pretty good straight after the forthcoming weekend of snowy weather. Tracks going up to the Glacier de la Noire/Pointe Yeld, and down from the Tacul Shoulder. If only I could grow a pair!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://panocam.skiline.cc/chamonix/grand-montets

Another nice top up ! Forecast is for another 15-25cms on Saturday Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@HammondR, it must be time to hang up your boots for the season. Sounds like a good one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jbob, as usual you are not wrong. Just loitering for the closure of GM. There could be some classic upside down touring on Sunday. Then perhaps a good final Tour on Monday/Tuesday. It would be good to use my altitude adaptation (we traversed the Domes de Miage and decended the Armencette Glacier last week), but realistically I am probably just getting more clapped out!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's the update on the rebuild of the GM cable car?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2-3 years according to the Mayor and some instructors I spoke to. The fire tensioned the cables which have twisted the foundations of the top station apparently so some serious work.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Astounding. Is there still (or was there ever) a car on the glacier?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was. They recovered it in October.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RobH2017, at least 3 years from what we hear... it's a big job.

Now, a sensible, well managed operating company would have contingency plans (as in, plans of what to rebuild with as I presume that the decision on technologies isn't to just rebuild what was existing?) ready to go in such an event...

I wonder if the CMB do?
snow report
The cynic in me says not. Hopefully the recent investigations into contract awarding might make this one more transparent and robust. Or not.
snow report
@RobH2017, given the general optics from them, I suspect not either. I mean, you would imagine you'd be doing an annual or bi-annual review of "if this lift burned down, etc. what would we ideally replace it with".

Not necessarily a full planning application but a general feasibility study and at least an idea of best path forward.

Maybe it's not that easy?
ski holidays
The fire literally changed our plans this past year - was all excited about going back to GM but, well, not getting to go up to the top without a substantial amount of effort changed our plans.
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, the effort wasn't that great to get up there (especially when the Bochard was open), and the little effort it did take made it so much quieter. On the skin track there always seemed to be a good few folk ascending, but once over the ridge you never saw anyone.
ski holidays
Same for the top of the Pendant bowl when the Bochard was shut, and that was only a 5 or 10 min hike.
latest report
@midgetbiker, but... if you are a piste skier, unused to skinning and without required glacier skills...
snow conditions
Must have been amazing. Tons of untracked powder. We managed to ski it on a semi-whiteout day and I was following someone from ESF so we found nothing but fresh snow and left the first tracks. It was glorious!
latest report
@ItaloSkier, “following someone”....

rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@ItaloSkier, “following someone”....

rolling eyes rolling eyes

Yeah, let's see...

Whiteout conditions
Off piste
First time down the mountain

Yes, absolutely following someone. Roll away with those eyes. Same section of GM last year saw two Brits go off a cliff. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-42903487
latest report
@ItaloSkier, You have written in other threads about paying quite a bit for private instruction. I read "following someone" as skiing with an instructor you were paying. Something that annoys guides and instructors is people who are not part of their paid group following them in potentially dangerous areas off piste.
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, forgive me if I am wrong (and as I posted I did realise I very well could be) but I <assumed> (yes, yes, I know) that you meant you followed an ESF instructor and group without being part of it? I think on second reading that you just meant you were with an instructor and happened to be behind them... rather than ...

I have probably done you a disservice. In which case I apologise. But if I haven't... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@HammondR,Domes de Miage, nice tick. I suspect you’ve still got a few meters left in you.

GM must be a dilemma. They will want to replace it asap but its not a trivial job and I would think at least a couple of summers maybe more. Not forgetting its two lifts that were ruined. But the real dilemma is what to replace it with. Do they even need to do the bottom section at all! As for the top ticket, should they increase capacity as its very busy for most of the season. Would having a lot more people up there spoil it and then there's the safety aspect of having a lot more skiers. They might think of widening the pisted area rightwards at the top. How about pisteing the grand mur. They need to be careful not to ruin the whole thing.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@ItaloSkier, forgive me if I am wrong (and as I posted I did realise I very well could be) but I <assumed> (yes, yes, I know) that you meant you followed an ESF instructor and group without being part of it? I think on second reading that you just meant you were with an instructor and happened to be behind them... rather than ...

I have probably done you a disservice. In which case I apologise. But if I haven't... Twisted Evil

No worries. Yes, I always hire private instructors for the first day or two. They help me with technique and typically take me to great spots on the mountain. So, yes, I was following my instructor.

Following another group is a dick move. In fact, in Saas Fee, we were going towards a little colouir and my instructor stopped and waited as someone passed us and he said he hated it when people followed him off piste.

That day... no one front of us, only group behind us (other than our tracks):

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ItaloSkier, yuck. I would be taking a tour du duvet in weather like that.
latest report
I carnt really see any alternative to a straightforward replacement by a cable car. I think a 3S gondola would be too expensive and move too many people up to an area with a limited amount of skiing available ?

With the Bouchard open this week the Herse, Pierre roc and the new Tabe chairlift, there was plenty to ski with or without guides, because of the fabulous cover this year. I didn’t really miss the GM. 40 euros for a day pas was good value I thought.

Tomorrow and Sunday could be epic again snowHead
snow conditions
Does anyone on here have any experience of/know anything about the Mark Gear All Mountain courses in Chamonix? I'm thinking about it for next season.
ski holidays
@Peter S, I totally take your point re visitor numbers, although the CdMB may not, being grubby capitalists, but are cable cars cheaper anyway? and better vfm?

On the grounds that Flegere is being replaced by a gondola...
latest report
@esaw1, Mark is a terrific instructor. A group of us has arranged a series of private lessons with him on a couple of occasions.

His courses will leave you a better skier and much more tired.
snow report
@HammondR, Thanks for the information. Sounds good.
ski holidays
Some ideas for those of you still there...

http://youtube.com/v/D0LHTDed614
snow conditions
well, we had snow in town last night but GM was pretty grim for the last day. Windy and terrible vis. I did a couple of laps and came down. Ho hum.
snow conditions
@Meltus, us too. After a couple of Grimbergens for a grim day Happy
latest report
End of the season in Chamonix for me.

After the upside down touring fresh tracks but low viz extravaganza of GM closing day, we had a beautiful final day.

Drove up to the little reservoir below the bottom Tete de Balme lift station. Ended up skinning about 850m to the Tete de Balme. Went across to the back bowls and had a mellow fantastic ski back down. For once no powder. But the only tracks on the mountain, cold, clear skies and a good chum enjoying it as much as me. If you are around it is very worthwhile.

It's always a relief not having to get home with a broken leg or no teeth.
latest report
Scratched an itch on Monday and skied the Col du Plan North Face.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxQbKsdF9VH/
snow report
@Fergus, nice one. Now that is a big tick.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy