Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2018/1019

Poster: A snowHead
@Meltus, surprised not more been chucking it down in Geneva since early last night.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's probably 15-20cm on top of stationary objects I'd say (I'm not a very good depth guesser though...) and it is very much still going. Is this the biggest *single* dump we've had this season? I can't recall it going from zero to hero quite so drastically
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
30cm of fresh, measured with a tape measure by patrol at the bottom of plancert draglift in Les Houches. Powder nice but heavy and mostly grass underneath!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Friday morning in the fresh powder at Flegere was ok but not quite as enthralling as I expected (partly chose the wrong skill compensator ski). By about 14:00 the powder was turning to wet cement in the strong sun and I was yearning for the spring snow of two days before.

Putting my money where my mouth was I got up early Saturday and traipsed over to the Aiguilles Rouge and eventually flogged up the 700m boot to Pointe Alpphonse Favre and the Mort Glacier. What a relief. Fantastic fresh powder most of the way down to the last 20% to the track out, and even then fresh tracks to be made. The only problem is the fact that it was Saturday. By the time we looked back, ten minutes
Quote:
down the track, most of the major routes down were almost tracked out.

Last edited by HammondR on Sat 6-04-19 18:25; edited 1 time in total
Quote:

"@under a new name, depends where you are skiing and how long the snowy period lasts.

Might get 2 or 3 days of powder on some north facing routes high in the Aiguilles Rouge, whereas you could get longer great skiing from places like the Armancette Glacier.

At the end of April 2017 ( and 2016 I think) we had shin deep powder and first tracks the whole way down the Vallee Noir to the Mer de Glace. 2 days later on GM closing day it was the same in heavy snow upside down touring in the forest. What's not to like?"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seem to have got all that back to front!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HammondR, yeah Friday was def a first tracks day. Got claggy quite swiftly. GMs held out longer apparently, as you’d expect.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any news about the Bochard ? Is it definitely out for the rest of the season ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No new news but suspicion is all season (from my instructor)

Also brevent top lift now pedestrian only due to rock fall blocking run
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://montblanclive.com/radiomontblanc/article/chamonix-le-maire-eric-fournier-place-en-garde-a-vue-hier-48162

Might explain a few things.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jbob, not sure it's related but still... not a good look!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Popped up Brevent for a look and a bit of fresh air - despite cloudiness - pistes in remarkable shape for the time of year. Flat light closed play and we came back down again.

Forecast tomorrow much better Cool Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied Les Houches this afternoon, as it's my home hill I thought I should ski on closing day. Pistes were rather firm due to being refrozen and not fully melted despite being 3pm. The run down was complete, just. For once the resort is closing about the right time for the snow conditions. In previous years it has closed on a powder day with a foot of fresh in the valley and in others anything below the beginner areas at the top has been unskiable (by that I mean you can't link the snow patches with speed) for more than a week before the end.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CMB maintaining Bochard re opening next week. But they said that last week ... rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, and the week before...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Sunday was the last day ever for the flegere cable car.
snow conditions
@jbob, after 63 years of servitude...
ski holidays
@under a new name, definitely built by engineers who grew up playing with meccano.
I’ve always liked the friendly staff at flegere, same people year in year out.
First used it 40 years ago.
Worst experience was when they shut brevent late in the day and sent everyone over to flegere. Took until nearly 8pm to download everyone. I got off around 6pm.
latest report
Skied Flegere yesterday for a last ride on the cable car. Can't say I'll miss it....

Free BBQ though! Was all a bit cloudy and icy though the snow off the floria wasn't too bad.
latest report
I temporarily rose from my pit of man flu this afternoon to have an hour at Brevant.

The closeure of Flegere means that no pistes or lifts past the Cornu are open, so a pretty small area. It is similar at Le Tour with the Vallorcene and Tete du Balme lifts closed for the season.

I had a look at the "rockfall" restricting the Brevant lift to foot passengers only. Goodness me! The narrow piste at the very end of the Charles Bozon run has been obliterated by a giant piece of rock which was part of the uphill wall of the piste. It has left a chunk of rock about 30x20x10 feet or larger. Hundreds of tons.
snow report
@HammondR, yeah you would not want to have been below that when it fell off!
snow conditions
Here for a week at Argentiere. Icy and slushy at Le Tour and Grands Montets. Pretty much the end of season.
ski holidays
@gerald17, and you expect anything else? Snow remarkably good for the time of year, IME.
ski holidays
gerald17 wrote:
Here for a week at Argentiere. Icy and slushy at Le Tour and Grands Montets. Pretty much the end of season.

That is spring riding in the Northern Hemisphere since time began.

The transition between cold winter and hot summer.

Icy in the am, slushy in the pm.
ski holidays
Popped up for a tootle round GMs around 11h00. Really rather excellent. Softening nicely, maybe a little early, Herse bumps to skier's right delightful at top.

Mighty fine and sunshine forecast for the reasonably forecastable Cool snowHead Cool snowHead
snow report
@HammondR, I was told that most of the rockfall was induced by the pisteurs after a bit fell off and the face was deemed unstable.

I was wondering if it’s easier to fill in above it and just raise the level of the piste, rather than shoving the rocks down the gully to Chamonix!
ski holidays
Missing Doctor found at Les Houches.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-body-missing-british-doctor-14384510
snow report
@jbob, Sad, RIP. Poor chap.
latest report
Are they replacing Flegere with a gondola?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, the old cable car is being removed and replaced by a gondola right now. I think that is why Flegere closed a week earlier than Brevant - the construction timetable necessary to provide for opening on time next season.
ski holidays
good news - worst thing about Chamonix is the uplift out of the valley (apart from their propensity to burn things down of course!)

Really thought I was going to make it over from Les C last weekend but the closures, lift issues and immaculate conditions in Les C persuaded me against... Next year...
snow report
Bubbles are out on the Bochard and they're testing it today, plenty of scepticism that they'll actually open it though!
latest report
https://panocam.skiline.cc/chamonix/grand-mohttps://www.chamonix.com/lifts,88,en.htmlntets

Looks like Bochard is running and it’s showing up on the open list. Hurray!

Next issue is the weather forecast. Possible heavy snow next week.
snow conditions
Bochard open today, apparently.

Family lunch at Maison Carrier so we are just going to wander up Brevent instead. Just to clear some cobwebs.

Lovely and sunny again... snowHead Cool
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Quote:

Family lunch at Maison Carrier

Yum
snow report
Hmmm, OK, so Brevent closes Monday, ... that'l be our last outin up there then.

C'est de la soupe!!

Lovely and sunny and in my shorts now. Blue Scottish legs!!
ski holidays
Looks like some snow above 1800m on Thursday then a bit drier over the weekend but with strong wind at altitude.
snow conditions
Lovely morning at Grand Montets. Cloudy bit vis was fine and the snow was great. Maybe 10-15cm of fresh? You could feel the ice underneath in the Lavancher and Italian bowls but when you hit fresh patches it was powder skiing:)
ski holidays
Yep Lavancher bowl was good but we arrived too late to find much untracked. Lovely weather this afternoon. Such a great time of year to ski. A couple of hours in the sun at the end of the skiing day. Pierre a Rick still skiable down to 1200m and the Marmottons cafe. Cool
ski holidays
@Peter S, ”all the way to the bottom”, don’t you... Puzzled

There isn’t any run beyond the Marmottons
snow report
Skied down from the top of the GM this afternoon. Cloudy with totally flat light and snow flurries so much of the time it wasn't evident if one was skiing up or down. However, tons of fresh snow and fresh tracks aplenty.

With the current forecast for quite a bit more snow today and tomorrow (falling to 1400m or lower), Monday looks like a pretty good bet for getting your powder on. For those who aspire to the Vallee Blanche it could be tops from both Chamonix and Courmayeur.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy