Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2018/1019

Poster: A snowHead
@footsoldier, the LHs-StG link has been a rumour since before rumours. And I think still is but a rumour.

Have the Le Tour legal discussions been concluded? I hadn’t heard so but wouldn’t necessarily.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Midi closed from Monday.

https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2019/03/24/chamonix-le-telepherique-de-l-aiguille-du-midi-en-partie-ferme-a-partir-de-lundi-midi

Bochard reopens on the 30/3 fingers crossed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where did you hear about club med moving to StG
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Bochard reopens

@jbob, my (local) BiL reckons it's closed for the season... Sad Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wondering about coming out with the kids next Sunday. Hotel in breveny. Kids age 11 9 6 and can all ski (11 year old dan ski anything, 6 yr old likes blues)
This would be our 2nd trip this year so don’t want to ski every day. A few days exploring- the met de Glace or climbing wall and 1 or 2 days in Courmayeur and the off afternoon in the kids park at Les Houches.
Is this crazy? Doable?
Snow ok on blue slopes?
Can we not get up to aiguille de midi now?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Autocorrect fail!
Brevent. Hotel la saponierre
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowysarah, totally doable. Snow very springlike but otherwise nice. Aiguille? I am not sure what the status is, but the CdMB site should inform.

Oh, I see where the Sapiniere is, always thought it had a nice looking breakfast room Happy - handy for the Savoy drag which I [b[]think[/b] is still running
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you that’s what I want to hear!
I haven’t been to Cham since my early twenties and can’t remember it at all
Would you say it’s a good resort to do some skiing and some other activities with children?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m a bit confused by the piste map. Is there a bus service that links Les Houches and Brevent?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowysarah, from where you are (and I ought to have an update tomorrow, assuming we get up he he) your easiest is up Brevent. You can get a bus to Les Houches but TBH I don't think I'd bother. Brevent-Flegere ought to be fine with kids.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you. I will check back tomorrow. I fancied the tubing and zip wire playground with the kids in Les Houches
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Bochard reopens

@jbob, my (local) BiL reckons it's closed for the season... Sad Sad

Now saying closed until next week. I’ll believe it when it happens. Anyway I’m back home in the UK now and it feels like summer. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just been reading about the plancerts drag lift in les houches, is it really that scary.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What happened ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@compostcorner, que?
ski holidays
nothing happened, i was just reading reports of it being a very nasty lift, very steep and long. i cant be bothered with long drag lifts, i prefer a more leisurley sit down and a 5 min rest on a chairlift.
ski holidays
Not that bad. But, I grew up in Scotland ...
latest report
Gives you a jolt as you set off, then another (slightly smaller), then another (smaller still), then it's all gravy after that. Not sure I'ld enjoy the first few seconds on a board, for skiers no real issue.
snow conditions
@Snowysarah, Haven't been across to Flegere but Brevent is in good if springlike nick.
snow report
Thank you! And it looks set to snow this week?
snow conditions
@Snowysarah, it does, but not entirely clear how much it will help. We don't actually NEED any more snow. Cooler temps might be good...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Snowysarah, Haven't been across to Flegere but Brevent is in good if springlike nick.

Flegere was in good shape upto the end of last week. Pistes in nice nick. The only balding bits being the lower full on South facing specifically the last 10-20% of the black from Floria down to the lift at the bottom of the greens (the red exit right next to it was totally fine).
snow conditions
That's strange today floria was good to the bottom and the red had the bare patches not really sure what the difference is between the two lower halfs
ski holidays
@Wallski, OK, so I'm colour blind and tend to ignore piste grades anyway to a fair degree. When we were exiting end of last week the piste on skiers right (of the two exits down onto the greens) was more bare (not bad though, still skiable for sure). My missus told me the poles on that one were black. I percieved the difference being a slightly different aspect around the hill meaning it copped just a smidge more sun.

Maybe (quite possibly) I've got it all the wrong way round.
ski holidays
The red run is the Crochues and is my favourite piste in the valley. The black run is the Floria. The top the Floria has a steep pitch. In the lower sections there’s not much difference at all between them and it will depend conditions.

ski holidays
Well I skied down from Mont Buet today (having accessed it via the Crochues Berard) and there was stonking spring snow below about 2500m. It was probably all good to 3000m at about 2:00pm but my fondness for bed meant I wasn't at the top until about 3:30. A bit eerie up there on your complete lonesome!

Without wishing to contradict the all things Chamonix gospel, I think fresh snow could be fantastic and would provide a welcome change to this spring snow.
ski holidays
@HammondR, I'm definitely hoping you get a decent top up this week, before I'm back at the weekend.

@jbob, the missus is right then, it was the red with the better cover on the exit and the black looking thin (from your piste plan).
latest report
@HammondR, nice one on Mont Buet good tick.
Done it in summer it’s a big up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jbob, don't forget I did it from the Col du Berard. So more like 1300/1350 than the 1770 from le Buet. I think I am getting a bit tired.
ski holidays
So close to booking for Saturday.. would you go with the snow how it is now?
ski holidays
Thanks for advice. Have booked!
snow conditions
Quote:

I think fresh snow could be fantastic and would provide a welcome change to this spring snow

@HammondR, While a return to winter would be lovely, don't you think it would be rather temporary?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

I think fresh snow could be fantastic and would provide a welcome change to this spring snow

@HammondR, While a return to winter would be lovely, don't you think it would be rather temporary?

I think of the little late snow falls as “winter wagging its tail”.
snow report
"@under a new name, depends where you are skiing and how long the snowy period lasts.

Might get 2 or 3 days of powder on some north facing routes high in the Aiguilles Rouge, whereas you could get longer great skiing from places like the Armancette Glacier.

At the end of April 2017 ( and 2016 I think) we had shin deep powder and first tracks the whole way down the Vallee Noir to the Mer de Glace. 2 days later on GM closing day it was the same in heavy snow upside down touring in the forest. What's not to like?"

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 6-04-19 18:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Snowing pretty reasonably in Bossons at the minute though not really sticking, presumably as the ground is warm. Snow report reckons they had 25cm at the cosmiques hut this morning which I may take with a pinch of salt. Friday could be a great powder day Smile Taking my girlfriend's mom down the VB for her first time and she's renting her first pair of powder skis Very Happy
ski holidays
Garden all snowy in LH
snow conditions
Hi,
Anybody know what the condition of the skin track at Les Houches is like?

Thanks,
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@footsoldier, the LHs-StG link has been a rumour since before rumours. And I think still is but a rumour.

Have the Le Tour legal discussions been concluded? I hadn’t heard so but wouldn’t necessarily.

Was told that by ESF guy I ski with that it was sorted, and last year of current lift, but not 100% sure.

@jonny996 There are various articles online about CLub Med/St G. I’ve worked on big project with CM before - very difficult! But they do generally get what they want in terms of new lifts etc, with some help from local politicians. (Their ceo is son of ex-president d’Estaing). Seems like the project is stuck with land acquisition right now, so guess the lift is too.
snow report
@Meltus, what is a "mom" ffs?
snow report
@HammondR, I'm from the West Midlands! We're 'mom' people, you don't know the struggle of finding birthday cards!

Anyway, here's a photo from outside my office this morning

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy