Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2018/1019

Poster: A snowHead
@jetsnow, I was there last weekend and I was all good above 1500m.
To be honest I would be more concerned about wind strength this weekend as I might close a few areas but I am now expert.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks for the quick reply! guess i will stay home then Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jetsnow, it definitely doesn't look like the best last minute weekend ever.

Of course, I could look out the window tomorrow and be completely wrong... (at least for tomorrow).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Houches, A few cm of fresh over a nice piste this morning. A bit sticky at the end of the afternoon, pistes still skiing nice. Lots of old snow poking trough just above Maison Neuf.

Brevent huge que this morning, top not open until noon, col cornu also having problems.

Le Tour open late, the upper chair even later.

Midi opened at 12.15! due to snow clearing!.....something we only get 50 times a year???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cracking day at Le Tour. Valorcine opened at 10am.
Bit of a powder day and very quiet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied GM in the morning for some powder which, as expected, got tracked out very quickly. Snow was lovely and soft though, with more due. Light went very flat around 11.30 so went over to Le Tour which was great. Less tracked,though a thinner layer of powder which meant you could feel the ice/crust underneath much more. Some champagne stuff off the Aiguilettes though!

All in all a lovely day Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
75-105cm of snowfall forecasted by Saturday morning according to Chamonix Meteo. I arrive on Sunday, so please don’t track it all out before then. Excited!!! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Level 4/5 tomorrow. Powder day. Bad mix take it easy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@coolbeanz, the rain to 1700m and possibly higher later tomorrow isn't too exciting. Perhaps a clearing in the weather is.

Either way, to get more than an hour of fresh tracks on Saturday and none thereafter some uphill effort may have to be put in. As @jbob, points out, non of this is simple.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bochard closed for at least a week.

https://mailchi.mp/compagniedumontblanc/fermeture-telecabine-bochard?e=8bc581afca
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jbob, the 3V have had their trials & tribulations with one or two lifts this winter, but CMB just seem to keep coming up with trump cards!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How were the snow conditions today?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:
Bochard closed for at least a week.

https://mailchi.mp/compagniedumontblanc/fermeture-telecabine-bochard?e=8bc581afca

Bon dieu! Ce n’est pas vrai???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
offpisteskiing wrote:
@jbob, the 3V have had their trials & tribulations with one or two lifts this winter, but CMB just seem to keep coming up with trump cards!!

Its bizarre I'm expecting to hear some kind of gypsy curse story
snow conditions
CMB are useless, their total lack of investment is coming back to haunt them. Half of the lifts in the valley want replacing and they've just not bothered. Local guides refuse to use Charamillon as it's going to break down any second.

Anyway, snow off piste on the front side of Le Tour yesterday wasn't great, heavy and hard going. Back side of Vallorcine was half ice half spring snow which was nice. Pistes were slushy as expected.

Bit of a top up tonight but I'm off to Meribel for a few days.
snow report
Meltus wrote:
CMB are useless, their total lack of investment is coming back to haunt them. Half of the lifts in the valley want replacing and they've just not bothered. Local guides refuse to use Charamillon as it's going to break down any second.
Bit of a top up tonight but I'm off to Meribel for a few days.

Maribel, where the lifts are owned by... Compagnie des Alpes! (Parent company of CdMB). Hopefully the curse doesn’t travel far!
ski holidays
I can confirm ... Lifts in Meribel are very good !!
And 5 year plan is going to make them even better ... too many people on slopes is a downside
latest report
For anyone interested in the skiing (this is all from an offpiste perspective) , low altitude is rubbish. Saturated snowpack which might turn into good spring snow in a couple of days sun.

High up is still exceptionally good (Saturday anyway). Toula was fine, but with a very severe entrance to the steps as per usual this season. But the Valley Noir must be the best snow in the area. Super fresh snow. The winds today may have changed that?

Snowing like billy-o in town now.
snow conditions
Anyone prepared to slog up to the Aiguilles Rouges cols or summits in the next day or two will find fantastic powder. My chum Mike and I broke trail up to the Col de Beugeant today. There are some avalanche factors to consider on the up and down.

We had the entire cirque to ourselves (gulp). With the recent cold snap and snow the conditions on the descent were stunning. As good as or better than January. Between shin and knee deep powder on the north facing slopes for the first 500m, gradually encountering crunchyness under about 9 inches of powder all the way down to the track at the bottom of the Berard valley.

No tracks down the Glacier Mort or Col du Belvedere, and not many coming from the Crochues Berard. So much powder to be skied before it becomes soggy in two or three days.
snow report
Quote:

As good as or better than January. Between shin and knee deep powder on the north facing slopes for the first 500m

this!

We were out from Sunday to Wednesday and were skiing fresh lines off the midi lift on both Monday and Tuesday. In fact, having not been here for a few years, I was incredibly surprised to see just how quiet everything was, felt like a bit of a ghost town at times... esp. around GM area.
snow report
I see the Bochard's still closed, fulfilling the promise of at least a week's closure. Anyone out there with an ear to ground heard any rumours about how the work's going and if a re-opening this season's likely?
snow conditions
Another week (min) before Bochard opens again!

https://mailchi.mp/compagniedumontblanc/prolongation-fermeture-de-la-telecabine-de-bochard?e=68abfb6f35
ski holidays
https://www.chamonet.com/news/bochard-gondola-to-remain-closed-until-march-30th-723424
snow conditions
Hi all - have a Chamonix day pass and 2x half price Megeve passes which sadly not going to use. Free to a good home, dm if you'd like them.
snow conditions
@goughiej, pm sent. Thx C
snow conditions
Can anyone give an update on current touring conditions? Has the snow on south facing slopes (e.g. col des dards/col de belvedere) transformed? or is it just rotten, and best option to find shady stuff above 2500m?
snow conditions
@hollando, I was fed up mooching about on a rest day and went up the Col des Dards yesterday afternoon. I am a right plodder. I was at the top of the Floria drag at about 12:00 and back at the cable car to go down at 15:00.

The skin up was fine. The ski down varied between heavy corn and surprisingly fresh snow. Aspect is everything. There were lots of parties on the Belvedere and Beugeant. If you are not bone idle like me you could get up there earlier and pick your descent time a bit better.

North facing slopes and couloirs are still good. Skied the Trappier Couloir today in terrific snow down to about 1500m. It all gets a bit Scottish on the exit.

Check out the recently updated Chamoniarde mountain conditions page.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At long last.
https://www.chamonet.com/news/first-images-of-proposed-flegere-lift-chamonix-flegere-lift-715898
snow report
@jbob, those pics have been on display at the bottom of Flegere for a while. Prep works for the new lift were evident in the summer. Ready for 19/20 season, well who knows, with the run CdMB have been having?
snow report
I recon the improvements to the parking will mainly be a pay barrier.
snow report
Does anyone know if the Grand Montets Lift will be open next season? Are there generally any expansion or large scale improvements plannned for Chamonix over the coming years?
ski holidays
Parking will be smaller (and yes, probably paid) which no doubt means the parking in front of my apt will be a lot more chaotic, it can be carnage in the summer already.
latest report
@capability, no they reckon GM could be 3 years. New lift at Flegere next big thing.
latest report
Three years! Bloody hell thats awful. Seems like they need to get a serious upgrade scheme in place. Why not open up Le Tour with new chairs, etc
snow report
goughiej wrote:
Hi all - have a Chamonix day pass and 2x half price Megeve passes which sadly not going to use. Free to a good home, dm if you'd like them.

Hi, I sent that pm, but it doesn't look like you picked it up. I'll send another now. Just let me know if the passes are gone already, otherwise I'll bag them for a friend who didn't buy a season pass this year as he had a new baby arrive around Xmas (can't really see the relevance myself, but hey ho).
snow conditions
Hi everyone! Two of us are looking for a group to do the Vallee Blanche this week, but the private tour prices of 210 per person are a little bit steep for us.

I called about 4 agencies, but they don't seem to mix groups together. Does anyone have any advice on how/where to find a bigger group? If anyone here would be interested that'd also be great. Me and Mark both ski blacks comfortably.

Edit: found one. 00 33 4 50 53 00 88
ski holidays
210 per person? I think I did it not a million years ago for 200 for the guide for half a day? Maybe I'm wrong
latest report
Stuart McDonald at

http://www.avalancheacademy.com/courses.asp

Charges £99 pp and is first rate.
snow report
capability wrote:
Three years! Bloody hell thats awful. Seems like they need to get a serious upgrade scheme in place. Why not open up Le Tour with new chairs, etc

Le Tour is now programmed for 20/21 I think. Replace bubble to start with then other upgrades.
There was also a possibility of a link between Les Houches and Saint Gervais, to tie in with Club Med moving to SG, but think that’s all on hold for the moment.
It’s not been great for lifts this year....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy