Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossi Master M18 vs SpeedZone 14 vs FIS SL?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, sorry, I know there are other threads on this - including one I started, but I have a more specific question now!

I asked for recommendations on a ski for L3 training a while back, and in the end went for Rossi Master M18s in a 175 - recommended by a couple of BASI trainers. I was coming from Head Titans which I used for my L2, but multiple trainers told me they were just not up to L3. What brought that home to me was doing a run of shorts down an icy Trolles on the Titans, then swapping with another trainee and doing the same run on his FIS SL skis. I know people say the trainers make allowances for the ski, but my impression is that any allowance is a lot less than the difference in ski performance at the limit.

I really like the M18s - they make the Titans feel floppy - challenging in variables because there's no tip rocker and they are stiff, but longs are my weakest strand and they are really solid there. However the skis are delaminating as I mentioned on another thread, and I'll send them back and hope Rossi recognize the manufacturing defect. I think I'm going to have to get another pair of skis for this season though. I don't really want to get the M18s again: if Rossi replace them I'd have two pairs, and if they don't I don't want to reward them with another order.

So the dilemma is what? Last time round I was torn between the M18s, a FIS SL ski, and the SpeedZone 14 as recommended by the InsideOut guys. My observation on L3 and L4 courses is that most people are on FIS SL skis these days - I went for the M18s because the trainers thought they were a better development ski and I guess I'm more interested in just getting better than taking/passing L3.

Has anyone skiied the M18s *and* the Speedzone 14s? How do they compare? Anyone with more experience on FIS SL? I love them in longs and shorts, but how are they in bumps and variables compared to the others?

TIA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You do realize that Dynastar and Rossignol are one company if you are thinking of not wanting to "reward" Rossignol.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FIS SLs are a bitch in bumps. Clearly if you are really good it's not an issue but a stiff raceplate and a stiff tail really don't help if it's not somewhere you already kill it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@turbosmurf, I would submit that while I loved my FIS SLs in everything including Fresh Alagna powder I think they probably require too much attention to be good a place where you are focusing on your personal performance.

With your attention elsewhere, they can have mind of their own.

A detuned SL ski would I imagine be ideal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@turbosmurf, Tough one. It does seem that BASI has gone back to SL skis on L3 and L4 exams after years of advising a mid range side cut of 15-18 ish... I ski regularly on all three that you list. I use FIS SL skis indoors and use 14's when teaching alpine. I have done Techs on the 14 and the precursor to the M18 the old Rossi 9GS 180 18M rad (awsome skis and still my favourites). My favourite GS ski when I was training for ET is the dynastar version of the M23 in a 185. The Rossi bindings on the M series are rubbish, broke two and got injured. The Dynastar open binding with plate is much better and the SPX 15 with rocker flex is the best binding I have been on for plated race skis. Head tyrolia is second but the rossi integrated binding is sh*t and has a lot of play.

If you liked the M18 have a look at the Dynastar Master with R22 plate and SPX binders. (EDIT I just saw that Rossi now sell SPX binders as well, a few years ago that wasn't the case, so in effect the same ski I was recommending)

What are your stats?

I am tall and heavy 6'4" 98kg (maybe 100 these days Wink ) so prefer the stiffer race construction and for me prefer a longer ski. The 14's in a 182 are turny and grippy on piste and have enough surface area for variables, soft longitudinally so helped me in the bumps.. Did my last tech on them and were good all rounders but not quite as stable on longs as the Masters and at my weight I can overwork the 14's on hard pistes. (I had done a thread on this if you want to see video) But, the M series in a 180 is a touch too high a radius for shorts for me and although the examiners always say they take it into consideration seem to prefer the look of people on an SL side cut. Personally I would sink in variables on SL skis and would end up sliding and scraping bumps on those instead of taking a wider line and bending the ski in bumps so not really an option.

i would think you would be able to get a hold of a pair of second hand SL skis quite easily and be worth trying em out to see if you like em. As long as they have a bit of edge left a slightly broken in pair of skis isn't such a bad thing for bumps and variables. My training partner (a girl) uses my old broke in, slightly soft, mens 165 FIS SL skis and she rips... Dont know her weight and value my life so won't ask Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I really rate the 14's as great all rounders and they would be a good compliment to your M18's , these with a pair of cheap SL skis would allow you to test for yourself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. @skimottaret, I'm 175cm and 84kg. My M18s have the R21 raceplate and Rockerace SPX14 bindings. I guess my M18s are already quite similar to the Dynastar Master (or maybe even the same ski?)

@rjs, yes I realize they have the same owner and maybe even share some manufacturing facilities? but not buying exactly the same ski would at least make me feel better Smile

Options seem a bit limited, especially as I don't want to pay £800, and that means something with a decent BASI discount (Rossi or Atomic) or a good price with one of the discounters.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 27-10-18 13:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@turbosmurf, I run the Dynastar Pro deal offering in the UK & Ireland so if you PM me your email me address I'll send you the Pro Deal price list.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @spyderjon - I already had!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
get all three , Jon will do you a great deal and set up the Dynastars just how you like em, get your Rossis replaced FOC and a cheap pair of SL skis , go on you know it makes sense Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
get all three , Jon will do you a great deal and set up the Dynastars just how you like em, get your Rossis replaced FOC and a cheap pair of SL skis , go on you know it makes sense Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You are probably right Smile but does a cheap pair of SL skis exist? I've had my eye out for a while but not finding any...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
try reaching out to the race clubs , usually loads of people flogging second hand SL skis...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@turbosmurf, What do you consider cheap ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£300 or so for FIS in good condition - does that sound about right?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are looking at a more SL type ski consider the Dynastar Speed Master SL rather than the Dynastar Master GS, the equivalent of the Rossi Master. This ski used to be called the Speedzone 16 and is available in a 173. Good solid construction but not quite as unforgiving as a full FIS SL. Being a 173 over a FIS 165 helps in the variables too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowrider wrote:
If you are looking at a more SL type ski consider the Dynastar Speed Master SL rather than the Dynastar Master GS, the equivalent of the Rossi Master. This ski used to be called the Speedzone 16 and is available in a 173. Good solid construction but not quite as unforgiving as a full FIS SL. Being a 173 over a FIS 165 helps in the variables too.

The Speed Master SL is exactly what was recommended to me by a BASI Trainer as the most suitable ski for L3. Again, in a 173cm which has (I was told, can't find it in writing) a 14m turn radius.
snow conditions
They are nice skis but quite narrow underfoot for variables. Lots of people use these and the Rossi equivalent on exams.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
They are nice skis but quite narrow underfoot for variables.
Agreed in principle. I asked originally about Speedzone 14's which seem to be a commonly recommended ski but he seemed quite adamant that the 67mm waist of the Master SL would be better (for me, at least - I'm 90kg so would likely take the longest length available in any given ski) than the 72mm of a SZ14 and that it was better to go slightly tighter than the "optimum" turn radius of 15m rather than longer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy