Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
I was above Santa Cristina today and it was bloody freezing so I'm surprised you only think it was around 10 degrees. I know it's relatively high but at the top of the Seceda is said it was minus 4.1 when I went passed. Also I thought the conditions were better today than they have been for a few days. No massive build ups of heavy wet snowy moguls on the steeper sections..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its definately cold! I've been in Africa for the last few weeks, the -4 currently is a shock to the system.

No moguls at all at the bottom of the Marmolada which id normally see every year. Looks BAU, I'll let you know how it skis tomorrow, but I have my SL skis so I like a bit of ice Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FrequentFaller, Seceda is always colder than most other spots. We spent the day at plan Gralba and col Rodella and it was around 1-4 degrees.

My preference is for sun no matter the condions! The older I get the harder it is to see features in flat light like today...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
just found another 'skyline' webcam - overlooks the Burz slope in Arabba

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/arabba-dolomiti.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like a another good day. Sunny, cool and the breeze seems to have dropped off. Everything open in the Sella Ronda. Bit of snow forecast at altitude and then again on Thursday which may also be windy. But generally the forecast looks good for skiing Cool

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/ciampinoi-live/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry for the delayed report, I've been busy..... SKIING Happy

in Conclusion, theres nothing to worry about.

So I arrived on Friday, first day skiing on Saturday and did the Green circuit am, orange PM. I dont normally do the circuits as after all these years, I like to play off the beaten track, but I thought why the hell not Happy. I'm staying in Sottoguda so Marmolada first run of the day to get the legs warmed up. Slopes in great condition considering no snow for a while. All running beautifully with the exceptional of 2 points late in the afternoon (3pm) where it was a bit slushy and moguled for about 50m in 2 places. No French blue ice in sight. I will say all of the above with a caveat that I ski a fair bit so my idea of poor piste and yours maybe different. I look and ski each piste depending on conditions and as long as its white I'll ski it Happy

Sunday was spent largely on the Portovescovo side and Arabba. I love the steeper runs on the PV side and they were beautiful. As ever use your brains and head for the sunny pistes AM and retreat to the trees / shaded pistes PM and you will steer clear of any slush or moguls if you wish.

On run that was particularly poor (not that much more than normal) is the flat run to the bottom of the marmolada at about 3pm. In years gone by there are 2 slopes side by side with Poma lifts for the ski school. With the storms in the autumn it's done a lot of damage so they've only opened 1 side and no ski school down there, so theres a chunk of traffic using a 20m wide strip. Its flat, so no issues other than your knees will wobble!

Today it's been a day in Alleghe. Being lower altitude I'd expected a bit of ice and slush. None to be found. Theres been a nice misty haze today, enough sun to avoid flat light, but not too much to create slush. Temp was 3C at the bottom so nice temps. Very quiet ski area, cracking conditions - again no ice at all, with the exception of the last red down into the village. For those who have skied here before, you will know the 1 red to the bottom is always heavily trafficked. Slush, ice and moguls in sections, but you can get the buddleia down if you wish. Anyone who is out here with a car well worth the trip.

Off the San Peligrino tomorrow, Cortina Weds and San Martino on Thurs, and snow is due then.

For those bringing there fat skis out looking for off piste, I'm affraid your a few weeks late, leave those bad boys at home!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back last night after a long weekend in Selva. Explored most of the area around the Sella Ronda and also the area between Alba and Pozza. Did not get over to Seceda or Seiser Alm.

Pistes are holding up surprisingly well despite the hot and sunny weather. In the morning, the pistes are generally in excellent condition. Softens up as the day goes on, but actual proper heavy wet slush was a rarity, only right at the bottom of sun-facing runs. By the afternoon, busier steeper runs do get a bit scraped or where in the sun a bit cut up and lumpy, but otherwise, there is nice grippy snow to be had. Did not find any real "blue" ice, just some hard-packed spots, and did not find a single stone on the pistes. The pisteurs do a remarkable job, given the weather.

Not looking its best, though - sun-facing hills are now brown and some runs are effectively white ribbons. It really does need a dump of snow soon.

It is horribly busy, though, due to Carnival - never seen queues like it on the Sella Ronda. Best to avoid the major bottlenecks at busy times of day (seems worst around 10-10.30am and then again at around 3pm, as people head home). Alba/Pozza was much quieter, as was the skiing around Alta Badia. First time to Alba/Pozza - a few nice runs over there (the black down to Alba and the black and red down to Buffaure stand out), but otherwise it is not my favourite part of the area. Failed to find a decent restaurant there (the one near the top of the Buffaure bubble was dreadful).

Busy means dangerous - there are far to many idiots skiing much faster than their ability through busy pistes skiing far too close to other people - saw several stupid collisions, including an idiot taking out two small children in a ski school snake (on an otherwise empty part of the piste!), and more blood wagons than I have seen for a while.

If you want to do Hidden Valley this week, snow is great for most of it, but get there early. Queues for bus/taxi at Amentarola and for the Lagazuoi cable car are worse than I have ever seen.

Was a big but short storm in Innsbruck yesterday afternoon as we waited for our flight which brought snow down to quite low levels (you could see the new snow line on the trees). Not sure if that dropped anything on the Dollies, though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rg1, where are you finding these queues? I guess after all these years skiing here I know how to avoid the crowds. The portovescovo side, alta badia, alleghe, San pelligrino all empty. In San Pellegrino today and its cold, slopes are empty (really empty!) And there was a little snow last night.

Common sense says if you don't want crowds avoid the busy areas, but I appreciate that's easier said than done if you don't know the areas
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS agree with what you say about idiots and accidents. Lots of Germans here this week hooning it around. They ultimately come unstuck wink

I've only spoken to one Brit group which is rare, normally loads
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Queues were where I said - the various pinch points on the Sella Ronda (25 mins at Lupo Bianco, and a good 15 at the Belvedere chair, and the chair out of Colfosco in afternoon, amongst others), as well as the valley starting points at the wrong times (we made the mistake of doing Saslong at 10am - absolutely horrendous queue for the bubble at the bottom to get back up to Ciampinoi - should have known better....) - but as I said, could avoid by avoiding peak times, and keeping off the Sella Ronda as far as possible. As I said, Alta Badia and Alba/Pozza were quieter.

The Hidden Valley this week best done early. We did it on Sat (relatively quiet day) but left it to 11.30 to get up from Armentarola - good 1/2 hour to wait for taxi, and same again at Lagazuoi - mistake...

I know the area well, and was able to avoid the worst of it, but have never seen it so busy. There are times when you have to go via Sella Ronda to get where you want.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was out there last week which was the same week as the year before and it was definitely busier. We put it down to the fact that the snow was disappearing rapidly and people thought it might be their last chance before the end of the season...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm heading to the hidden valley and cortina today so I'll see Happy . Last 2 days in alleghe and san pellegrino have been quieter than I've ever seen.

A bit of snow due over the next few days and temps are good Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FrequentFaller, I agree that there were some longer queues this year on the SR than last, but it could be down to the weather -- it was sunny and warm all last week, so zero excuses not to ski! The only one that bothered me was the chair out of Colfosco -- iirc that's a normal 4, correct? Had to wait a whopping 15 minutes.

@rg1, surprised you had that Saslong queue at 10 -- we hit it about that time last Wednesday and were able to get in 3 laps with zero waiting at the bubble.

On another note, Seiser Alm delivered big time for us last Thursday. We took the bus from Monte Pana and had only one queue -- at the chair at the far eastern end next to the huge snowpark (forget the name). The bus getting back is a bit of a scrum, however...but on the plus side the buses ensure that there won't be crowds. (And one other tip...bring coins for the parking meters...we had no cash so bit the bullet for the 29 euro parking ticket...)

@PaulC1984, By nationality, was loads of Germans, Dutch and Russians. We met a few fellow Americans and some Brits who seemed nice but then grilled us about Trump halfway up a bubble lift. I restrained myself on Brexit...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Webcam visit to Arabba --- it's Snowing !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A glorious sunny day. Slopes above Corvara very good in the morning. South facing slopes becoming soft and slushy in the afternoon. A long late lunch was the perfect end to the day.
ski holidays
The westerly weather over the next 3 days should mean the Dollies Are in the drier, sunnier and cooler part of the Alps.
latest report
First day in Val Gardena, sunny and warm, South slopes we're pretty slushy and chopped up by lunchtime, looking colder from tomorrow though which should improve things.
ski holidays
The sunshine brought out the Sunday crowds but first runs in the morning were superb. The Col alto slope into Corvara was crunchy and fast. The early run down to San Cassiano was beautiful. We finished off high with lunch at Punta Trieste always a treat. The Dollies are looking spectacular even if a little brown in places.
ski holidays
First day today, did the SR orange (clockwise) from Canazei, had lie in so started about 10.00, conditions good until we hit Corvara / Arraba where even at 1pm a couple of pistes had a bad mix of slush, crud & moguls that were causing casualties and has to be taken with care. It improved after Portados so presumably those pistes had been in sun all morning but it looks like lower pistes best avoided.

Weather looking good for tomorrow so earlier start and we are going to Marmalda glacier, then have a Crystal ski day trip to Cortina and hidden valley on Tuesday so are looking forward to that.

Agree with Gufo, scenery spectacular but is also a bit odd with brown patches. Is virtually no snow in Canazei and snow level seems to be at least 1800m but late in the day the sun catching the cliffs was beautiful.
ski holidays
Hi, can anyone recommend an off piste guide/instructor in the Sella Ronda for a day in case the conditions are good (not looking for anything too crazy just off the beaten track) We’re staying in La Villa so close to their would be best but can meet elsewhere if need be. Thanks
snow conditions
My family have used altabadiaguides.com Based in Corvara they are very helpful and gave great advice. They get heavily booked up though so best to contact well in advance
ski holidays
That's great, Thanks @Gufo,
latest report
Much colder today with a little snow, winds really got up towards the end of the day. Pistes are in good nick although a little icy in a few places. Looks colder still tomorrow with the wind set to die down, lovely!
snow report
Snow generally held on better because of low temperatures. Wind picked up in afternoon resulting in polished ice on Pralongia. The lifts there struggled with the wind and closed early. Very cold wind chill in Corvara tonight. Looking forward to another great ski day tomorrow no matter what the weather throws at us. Coffee and cake at Utia Forcelles in Colfosco and lunch in Utia La Para above Corvara were so enjoyable.
ski holidays
Short day today, we had planned to do the hidden valley but after getting over to Corvara we discovered the Col Alto gondola was closed and the queue for the (very long) drag was massive. Decided to cut our losses and have a relaxed afternoon, quite a few pistes were scraped and not overly pleasant, time to drink!
snow conditions
Interesting to see that Bergfex are currently forecasting 4-6 inches of snow in Corvara over the rest of the week. I'm sure the top up will be welcome but the forecast is for it to turn warmer after that so I'm not sure any fresh snow will last for long. I'm going out again for a sneaky short break on the 23rd so watching the forecast with interest.

PS. You can always avoid the drag lifts to Pralongia if Col Alto is closed by going up Boe and skiing down to Planac.
ski holidays
olderscot wrote:

PS. You can always avoid the drag lifts to Pralongia if Col Alto is closed by going up Boe and skiing down to Planac.

Cheers, good tip, still finding our way round!
snow report
Snow Cannons running in Arabba this evening. taking advantage of the drop in temps..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm touring the southern Dolomiti Superski areas this week (based in Varena). Live trip report thread ongoing here if anyone's interested.

Everything open in Alpe Cermis and Passo Rolle today. Hard packed snow but good weather and fairly cool. Passo Rolle exceptionally quiet.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-03-19 6:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
denfinella wrote:
I'm touring the southern Dolomiti Superski areas this week (based in Varena). Live trip report thread ongoing here if anyone's interested.

Yep -- just read it !
snow report
Look out for Konrad Bartelski he’s also touring in the Dollies at the moment apparently Cool

Looks like you are going to get the best weather for skiing in the Alps the next 3 days. High winds, rain, snow and a lack of sunshine elsewhere. Have fun snowHead
latest report
@Peter S, thanks. Yes, we seem to be in a good spot - especially given we're strictly piste skiers.
snow conditions
Just back from a short trip to Civetta. Easy resort/area to get to from Venice. Hotel in Pecol 150 yards from the slopes. Not too many pistes closed, but a mixture of hard packed, smooth and claggy, making some of the longer runs you can do (at least x3 two milers) tough on the knees. No real off piste but you can see the possibilities if it was better. On Monday there were times when I looked around and there was no-one else in view. Great for a weekend and did what it said on the tin for me. Not really any good for beginners though but lots of cruising to do without the crowds.
snow conditions
A bit overcast today, not entirely a bad thing as the slopes seemed much quieter as a result. Very lightly snow now in Val Gardena with a bit more to come over the next couple of days.
snow report
Ignatius wrote:
Just back from a short trip to Civetta. Easy resort/area to get to from Venice. Hotel in Pecol 150 yards from the slopes. Not too many pistes closed, but a mixture of hard packed, smooth and claggy, making some of the longer runs you can do (at least x3 two milers) tough on the knees. No real off piste but you can see the possibilities if it was better. On Monday there were times when I looked around and there was no-one else in view. Great for a weekend and did what it said on the tin for me. Not really any good for beginners though but lots of cruising to do without the crowds.

I was in Civetta last month with the family. The Alleghe side is better for beginners with nursery slopes at Piani di Pezze (mid-station) served by a drag & a short chair and a long progressor blue from Col dei Baldi down to mid-station.
snow conditions
Hi Luigi. Yes, spotted all of that, usually drifting past on number 2 red, down to the Alleghe bubble. It wasn't in great nick and a bit tough on the old knees. If I went back, I'd base myself in Alleghe as it's dead on the flip side of the mountain, but easier to access.
ski holidays
Morter wrote:
olderscot wrote:

Cheers, good tip, still finding our way round!

or indeed down from Boe to passo campolongo and then up from there over the top of Cherz and nice blue down to Vizza then take the coldest chair (maserai) up to pralongia.
latest report
That made us laugh my wife & I both describe the Maseria as the coldest chair in the world we reckon it was put there as an instrument of torture.
snow report
Went to the hidden valley and Kronplatz today, hidden valley run was in perfect condition and really quiet, so much so we managed to bomb it straight past the frozen waterfall Embarassed

Didn't think much of Kronplatz, a bit bleak and the runs weren't very exciting, good to see a different area though.

Snowing now in Selva, a couple of cm at resort level so hopefully a bit more higher up, looks good for tomorrow!
ski holidays
Ignatius wrote:

Did a season at Civetta and it's one of the best laid out beginner areas IMHO.

Walk on gondola to summit plateau.

Dedicated beginner area beside restaurant and toilets.

Once the basics are learned then it's just carry on down the blue run back to the base.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy