Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Happy to do either. Done package and DIY in the past. Have no aversion to flying and hiring a car or going with a TO.

Will check out colletts @gaschick, thank you. Not seen them before.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Out to Cortina in two weeks. Are there any recommendations for an off piste guide? Also is worth going helisking for a day? We are only going off piste for two days as most of the group are piste skiers and we don’t want to be too antisocial. Unfortunately ski touring is out because one of our off piste group just won’t do touring.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing miniscule flakes all day today canazei to selva. Pistes in excellent condition.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked by the devastation to the forests from the storm in October, particularly around Alleghe Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S wrote:
Shocked by the devastation to the forests from the storm in October, particularly around Alleghe Shocked

Tell us some more.

Where in relation to Alleghe? The ski area? The hillsides around the lake edge? Or alongside the main road?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luigi, All. The drive up to Cortina looked like a war zone in places (high, exposed hill sides).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Between 5cm and 15cm across dolomite areas last night. Thought it may have been higher as the radar looked like heavy precipitation last night but I dont think it lasted that long. Another good call by Arpa with their forecast.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AL9000 wrote:
@luigi, All. The drive up to Cortina looked like a war zone in places (high, exposed hill sides).

Wow yes, lots of reports archived on YouTube about it all. It seems it was the high winds, millions of trees were uprooted apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alberi+caduti+dolomiti

Thankfully, it looks as though the devastation is limited to pockets of exposed areas and vast tracts of forest survived.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is also an an area affected near to Campolongo pass between Corvara and the pass. I didnt notice any other areas driving from San Lorenzo to Corvara though. However resports at the time did suggest quite a bit of devastation in the Alta Badia area
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JohnMo,

https://www.dolomitiskirock.com/sp/en/home.3sp

Good guides, small company
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Woosh, Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jimmybog, as an example, going up the bamby lift there are several uprooted trees close to lift line. But the general sense of forest and trees there has not been destroyed. As others have said, some hillsides looked far far worse.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From freezing in the wind yesterday with 5 layers o to cooking by Friday in plus 10 temps and wall to wall sun. A week of change is forecast snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking for any snowheads travelling via Marco Polo in next few days.

Key lost on flight to Birthday bash is in Lost Prop. (open 9-12am and 3-6pm)

Looking for anyone on a convenient flight who could collect it and post to me in UK. I would need to send you documentation.

Many Thanks.

Enjoy the snow Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Travelling out on Saturday but with three kids in tow!
ski holidays
Anyone like to hazard a guess as to why approx half the slopes at both St Martino di Castrozza and Passo Rolle are closed?

It's been like that for a few days - initially I thought it might be wind but that should've died down by now. Or do they close them on certain days of the week?

Will be spending a day or two there next month so want to make sure we don't go on the "wrong" day Smile
ski holidays
Hmmm - according the DolomitiSuperSki site all runs are open !?! (today anyway..)
latest report
@albob, you are correct! That's a change compared to this morning.

Perhaps they were closed due to wind yesterday / Sunday and the website was slow to update today.
latest report
@denfinella, Quite likely - the Padon chairs (1/2) were closed yesterday, but the dolomiti site said they were open !!
snow report
Quote:

Looking for any snowheads travelling via Marco Polo in next few days.

Key lost on flight to Birthday bash is in Lost Prop. (open 9-12am and 3-6pm)

Looking for anyone on a convenient flight who could collect it and post to me in UK. I would need to send you documentation.

Many Thanks.

Enjoy the snow

Are you sure that it is there? Our flight lands at 12:30pm, and leaves at 9:25am on the 24th, so I'm afraid that I won't be able to collect it as lost property will be shut then. Good luck finding someone who can collect it. Smile
snow report
@brianatab, We are arriving Marco Polo this Saturday 16th heading to Arabba with Collett’s but landing 11.45am so unlikely to make it to lost property in time

But we would have time to pick it up on return on 23rd if that suits you.
ski holidays
@Tony111, @gaschick, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The airport have confirmed that they have the key, but the logistics of someone being there when they are open is impossible.

The airport have given me the name of a local courier who can do this for approx 40 euros. Seems the best method.

Thanks everyone.
snow conditions
GFS showing sunny and relatively high temperatures for Gröden/ Gardena all
of next week.
Bergfex (ECM) on the other hand showing sun and falling temperatures, such that by midweek the freezing level will fall to around 500m.
Who will win? GFS or ECM?
latest report
brianatab wrote:
@Tony111, @gaschick, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The airport have confirmed that they have the key, but the logistics of someone being there when they are open is impossible.

The airport have given me the name of a local courier who can do this for approx 40 euros. Seems the best method.

Thanks everyone.

Our outbound flight this weekend & return next week are evening flights, so I'll be at Marco Polo after 6pm both times, sorry!

Sounds like @Tony111 is your best bet.
latest report
Madeye-Smiley @brianatab, No problem hope you get it sorted ok.

Can’t believe the temperatures forecast in Arabba for the start of our week +6 Scorchio!!!
snow conditions
Tony111 wrote:

Can’t believe the temperatures forecast in Arabba for the start of our week +6 Scorchio!!!

After experiencing -18C and constant snowfall last month during the Austria Snowmageddon, it will be a welcome change to be able to ski with a bit more warmth & sunshine! Cool

It can still top up for us overnight, though that is looking unlikely. snowHead
snow conditions
Tony111 wrote:
Madeye-Smiley @brianatab, No problem hope you get it sorted ok.

That would feel pretty cold to me when I usually go in early or mid March. Most trips Im skiing when its been +9c to +13c. This year I went end of January and it was below zero most of the time. Not good for sitting outside a rifugio but superb for the snow quality. +6 would be at the upper limit of ideal for me. Warm enough to sit out in but not too warm to affect the snow quality. +3 would be better though Smile Smile
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Anyone like to hazard a guess as to why approx half the slopes at both St Martino di Castrozza and Passo Rolle are closed?

It's been like that for a few days - initially I thought it might be wind but that should've died down by now. Or do they close them on certain days of the week?

Will be spending a day or two there next month so want to make sure we don't go on the "wrong" day Smile

It was really really windy - maybe they were having trouble with the lifts?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:

Alleghe was not quite the worst - if you go up Val Pettorina where I live, we have had an entire hillside of forest blown over, all the way to the top of the mountain. Not just that but the amount of water washed huge amounts of debris and rock down the streams an rivers, destroying lots of stuff on the way, including flood defenses, filling barns to first floor level, any supterranian garages - it was pretty devastating.

Heres some photos from early November.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOCZW_bMVMNY1L_fCsVqX_JgcVxcVCPF9zzpq7hnmMmG7VJez_J_qVccSA-TteDXw?key=OUxaa0dXRUNLQm4zZjhXaENSZjk3RTJEb3FycHdR

As a result the Serrai di Sottoguda is closed and unskiable this year - I was talking to a reastaurant owner the other night and he reckons his takings have been halved this year!
snow report
@Casa Alfredino, thanks - hope this was the case.
snow report
Group of us staying in Penia, some nervous skier's first time for many years. If conditions not great best runs to find ski legs? And what are the reds headed like? And how well do pistes hold up? Going march first

Ta
latest report
It's not if I'm going to be brutally honest the best spot for a nervous skier but Ok. I would say the area above Alba di Penia at the top of Ciampac is reasonably steady. There are lots of reasonable red runs up there and if you head over to Pozza di Fassa the red down to th valley is very long but not hard. That said when you return to Alba the home run which is a black or nothing is steep so just take the lift down. In the other direction the bowl above Canazei, Belvedere - the top run is a little steep but once you are in the bowl it relaxes quite a bit. I'd say the run down to Lupo Bianco is less fun as it's often very crowded indeed, so I would stick to the higher area and then maybe hear over towards Arabba where you have a very long easy run down. As for conditions, they are pretty good at the moment. I've not been on the pistes for a week but it will hold up till then no problem. We have a warm week ahead of us, I hope it won't last too long - it's ben a predominently northery wind pattern which is not much good for us here.
ski holidays
Thank you very useful
snow report
If you like, I've written a bunch of skiing guides to help people out as to where's good... http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/inspiration/skiing/
ski holidays
Casa Alfredino wrote:
It's not if I'm going to be brutally honest the best spot for a nervous skier but Ok. I would say the area above Alba di Penia at the top of Ciampac is reasonably steady. There are lots of reasonable red runs up there and if you head over to Pozza di Fassa the red down to th valley is very long but not hard. That said when you return to Alba the home run which is a black or nothing is steep so just take the lift down. In the other direction the bowl above Canazei, Belvedere - the top run is a little steep but once you are in the bowl it relaxes quite a bit. I'd say the run down to Lupo Bianco is less fun as it's often very crowded indeed, so I would stick to the higher area and then maybe hear over towards Arabba where you have a very long easy run down. As for conditions, they are pretty good at the moment. I've not been on the pistes for a week but it will hold up till then no problem. We have a warm week ahead of us, I hope it won't last too long - it's ben a predominently northery wind pattern which is not much good for us here.

From the Belvedere bowl, could they not get the Plan Frataces gondola down to Lupo Bianco and then the Pradei-Rodella gondola up to the Passo Sella/Col Rodella area?? They can then access the easy slopes around Piz Setuer. I just dont know how difficult the red slopes are from from top of the Pradei-Rodella gondola to get down to the slope beside the Sasso Levante chair, from where you can ski to Piz Setaur??
snow report
That Pradei Rodella starts out as a bit of an end of the earth slope - you know roll into it and you can see down it until you can see down it type thing but there after its wide and steady.
ski holidays
Casa Alfredino wrote:
That Pradei Rodella starts out as a bit of an end of the earth slope - you know roll into it and you can see down it until you can see down it type thing but there after its wide and steady.

I'm thoroughly confusing the areas, long time when I was last in this part. From the top of the Pradei/Rodella gondola, think you can turn right and go across just past the Salei hut and then down to the Cavazes/Grohman chair. At the top of Grohman chair, you can then ski down beside Sasso Levante chair to Passo Sella. Then you can take that lovely long blue to the Sole chair below Piz Seteur. Once up Piz Seteur you have several nice easier blue slopes. To return back you take the moonscape Citta Dei Sassi blue, up Sasso Levante chair and down to the Pradei/Rodella gondola and back to Lupo Bianco and up again to the Belvedere bowl. Think thats right??
snow report
No you're not, it's me. Sorry when you said rodella gondolla I thought you meant col rodella - that's the one thats a bit end of the earthy. But that said, you're suggestion is a good one bar that long red down Belverdere which see's every man and his dog (and three kids and wife and grandma...) which is so hectic - if you're really nervous not the nicest. If I'm honest I'd probably choose col rodella over that run down because atleast the pain is short and sharp and you could just jump on the bus down from penia to campitello and get on the gondolla there. In the evening you could either take the gondolla down (there's a great bar just at the top by the lift for a bit of apres) or you could ski all the way down to Canazei and walk down into town to catch the bus back...
snow conditions
Looking ahead to the next two weeks, for Val Gardena, am I right to be seeing that it will be pretty warm with little possibility of precipitation?

By warm, 5 degrees plus?
latest report
Seems that way...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy