Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
luigi wrote:
Pasigal wrote:
@pjd, Fear not, the Dolomites will receive only a small fraction of the predicted total, if form holds true this year.

Vous etes tres pessimiste, monsieur Pasigal! wink

ARPAV are all-in on tomorrow night's snow...over the course of Friday & Saturday 80-100cm average coverage of light dry snow above 1800-2000m in the Venetian Dolomites, up to 120-140cm locally, but less lower down as the snow will be denser. Snow line is in the valley bottoms in the Dolomites, but rises to 1100-1300m in valleys open to the South.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

What was the final total in Val Gardena? From what I can tell it was about 15-30 cm. Though maybe it was more up above 1800 m. But still seems as if forecast was...optimistic.

Looking ahead, some freeze/thaw cycles this week, but maybe more snow on the way by the weekend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pasigal wrote:
luigi wrote:
Pasigal wrote:
@pjd, Fear not, the Dolomites will receive only a small fraction of the predicted total, if form holds true this year.

Vous etes tres pessimiste, monsieur Pasigal! wink

ARPAV are all-in on tomorrow night's snow...over the course of Friday & Saturday 80-100cm average coverage of light dry snow above 1800-2000m in the Venetian Dolomites, up to 120-140cm locally, but less lower down as the snow will be denser. Snow line is in the valley bottoms in the Dolomites, but rises to 1100-1300m in valleys open to the South.

What was the final total in Val Gardena? From what I can tell it was about 15-30 cm. Though maybe it was more up above 1800 m. But still seems as if forecast was...optimistic.

Looking ahead, some freeze/thaw cycles this week, but maybe more snow on the way by the weekend?

Ra Valles measuring station above Cortina went from 46cm snow depth on 31st Jan to 144cm on the 3rd Feb, so a 98cm increase and as it's a snowpack depth measurement, some of what fell would have settled under its own weight, so it's very likely that 120-140cm fell out of the sky.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/meteo60gg/Staz_385.htm

I believe there was less snow from this event the further N & W you went, so the valley totals in Val Gardena may well have been more modest. The ARPAV forecast is for the Veneto region, so Cortina, Arabba, Civetta, which all got close to what was forecast.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Gardena reported 38cm of new snow for the 3rd Feb, maybe there was also some on previous days too.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/it/Scopri/Zone-sciistiche/Val-Gardena/Meteo

The snowpack in VG looks healthy enough with 138cm on upper slopes and 77cm in the valley. I remember bad snow years when there was 50cm on the mountain and 15cm in the valley and pretty much everything was still open, albeit worn in busy spots and soft lower down in the afternoons. I don't think there's a huge amount to worry about this year unless we get a really warm spell.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
luigi wrote:
Val Gardena reported 38cm of new snow for the 3rd Feb, maybe there was also some on previous days too.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/it/Scopri/Zone-sciistiche/Val-Gardena/Meteo

The snowpack in VG looks healthy enough with 138cm on upper slopes and 77cm in the valley. I remember bad snow years when there was 50cm on the mountain and 15cm in the valley and pretty much everything was still open, albeit worn in busy spots and soft lower down in the afternoons. I don't think there's a huge amount to worry about this year unless we get a really warm spell.

So, would I be correct in saying that the Sella Ronda is currently in great shape with 4 days sun predicted?

I'm in Innsbruck and due to fly back on Wednesday but I might move the flight and divert to the Dollies for a few days.

Just need to justify it too myself and some affirmation from here will help my conscience. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When i checked on the morning of the 2nd im sure val gardena had over 80cm fall in the previous 24 hours on the mountain. Several other dolomite resorts had similar figures. Alta badia only had 35cm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sean1967, I am currently in Corvara. The snow fall has been far more than 38cm. The pistes are amazing and the sky is blue. It was -9 on the mountain today.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@erica2004, yes that was one of the planes affected when I was at INN. Instead of bussing the waiting passengers onto Salzburg, Easyjet simply cancelled the return leg, presumably as the plane was needed elsewhere. People weren’t happy, understandably.
Enjoy your week - fantastic snow and a week of sun by the look of things!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good to see Italy finally getting some snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pretty much perfect conditions at the moment in canazei. pistes are excellent, off and between pistes is soft, and the cold is preserving the powder. a bit heavy where the sun has been on it though.
was between -6. & -9 yesterday, but sunny. no wind to speak of.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi, Cool! We're leaving for Selva on the 22nd...We're big fans of sidecountry, especially my son...technically illegal but you have to live a little...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pasigal wrote:
@luigi, Cool! We're leaving for Selva on the 22nd...We're big fans of sidecountry, especially my son...technically illegal but you have to live a little...

I don't think anyone can guarantee perfect off-piste conditions for 3 weeks time. What fell last weekend won't be going anywhere fast but would likely turn a bit crusty & heavy by then.

I reckon you would need another dump in the days leading up to your arrival or during your stay. The Dolomites isn't really a place for guaranteed powder, its location & climate are working against it. It's more reliable for piste skiing on man-made corduroy, supplemented by some modest natural top-ups, but when you do get a dump there are some fantastic opportunities.

I'm sure you'll have fun anyway!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^that is all true. last year we had 2 separate 10-15 cm snowfalls on top of a pretty good base and were able to scoot around between runs and find some small stashes of powder. But given the steepness and rockiness of the natural terrain I wouldn't do any true off-piste without a guide.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the main weather thread, Noza has signalled a feature on the charts that may produce a dump for the Dolomites for next Tues. snowHead

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138072&start=2280#3357381
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
certainly plenty of side stashes, easily skiable in canazei.... and unlike big resorts, not skied out for a few days. offpiste currently still powder in places, but getting more tracked, and in some places it's more like spring skiing. pukka offpiste does need a guide....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks to be mild & mostly sunny for the rest of this week, a great week to be out there!!

Bad weather comes in on Sunday, a bit earlier than previously expected and on current outlooks the direction isn't as favourable to the Dolomites, so expected snowfall totals are down a bit for Sun & Mon, but hopefully a modest dump.

After the snow, it then goes deep cold during the middle of next week, but hopefully warms up in time for the start of half-term week.
latest report
GEFS indicates colder than average after Monday with a sharp diurnal range indicating stability and predominantly dry conditions.
latest report
Yes, the current 06z GFS wigglies, showing the snow on Sunday into Monday, with an accompanying sharp plunge in temps, coldest on Tues, then moving back closer to average toward the weekend. Looking dry & settled for the rest of the run throughout half-term week. (The main run, in black on the chart, does deviate colder than average at times, but hopefully will revert to mean)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87 (chart updates every 6 hrs)

That scenario would suit me, a freshen up, some cold temps to preserve, then a week of sunshine to enjoy the pistes at half-term! Cool
snow report
Very light dusting right now in Arabba. Call it icing on the cake snowHead
ski holidays
The north facing slopes still have nice soft powder.... but anywhere that gets sun is now at best ‘chunky’, or worse.
Light dusting in Canazei tonight too, maybe a whole cm at the top?
Marmalade again tomorrow, off the north face down to the dam - if its like the other routes today, should be sweet.....
latest report
Today's 06z seems to have gone bananas out in FI, massive Atlantic depression with lots of mild moisture pouring across Iberia & the Med into N Italy during half-term week, with potential for torrential rain low down and huge snow at altitude. It's an outlier and doesn't have support from the ensemble, but needs keeping an eye on. Anyone been seeing a pattern there?

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87
snow conditions
I guess because yesterday the main run in the 06z FI was colder, today it's milder & wetter, it will keep swinging about and only crystallise on a position as we get closer. Wait & see! Very Happy
ski holidays
ARPAV are currently saying 5-10cm over 24hrs for Sunday's snow in the Veneto Dolomites, maybe a bit more into Monday too. Snowline down to around 800-1000m.

snow conditions
I got a severe chock when I searched the net: Shocked

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/selva_spain_2510961

Reading the tekst helped me breathing again! Laughing

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/s%C3%ABlva_italy_3166784

Next next week my turns - hopeful all the snowheads are gone by then! Madeye-Smiley

How is the snow down there? Puzzled
latest report
luigi wrote:
Today's 06z seems to have gone bananas out in FI, massive Atlantic depression with lots of mild moisture pouring across Iberia & the Med into N Italy during half-term week, with potential for torrential rain low down and huge snow at altitude. It's an outlier and doesn't have support from the ensemble, but needs keeping an eye on. Anyone been seeing a pattern there?

It may be an outlier but GFS near enough predicted the last heavy snow on the 31st/1st well over a week ahead on its operational run. It had no or very little support for a good 5 days at least but then it was pretty much spot on with what happened. Thinking back I think it showed the outlier heavy precipitation spike (operational run) possibly a good 10 days ahead.

Not saying it will happen again but yes does need keeping an eye on!!
ski holidays
Hi all,

Looking at a 2nd trip this year and the Dolomites are high on our list. In particular somewhere on the Sella Ronda. We are looking to base ourselves in Val Gardena, Arraba, Corvara or Colfosco. We will be heading out on March 23rd.
What will the pistes be like that time of year? Worried that lower down runs may not be in great nick. Not worried about off piste. We just want to do some laps of the Sella Ronda and explore the pistes.
snow report
luigi wrote:

I suspect it was a one off outlier. Has disappeared from 12z. Whenever I’ve looked at the ensembles, there has been a lot of consistency for a dry half term week, but it changes between cold and (atm) warm.
ski holidays
I would say you were pretty safe in March. I have been with family several times in April when it can get slushy on the lower slopes but there will be plenty of good stuff higher up. We always had a great time. You either grit your teeth and get through it on the last run home or bale out and take a gondola down. They try very hard to keep the Sella Ronda open as late in the season as possible.
snow report
@Fridge03, I’ve been to Corvara in late March. Snow was great up until about 15.00; a bit slushy after that but nothing too bad.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Northely airstream should mean good visibility and dry snow next week. Wind looks a bit higher than ideal though on Monday and Tuesday. Could be a problem for the higher lifts. Then warmer after Tuesday for sitting outside Laughing
snow report
Out of interest, how does this season compare so far (in terms of weather, and in terms of base depths - two different things) to an average season? It's difficult to tell because almost all the pistes are open regardless of natural snow! Laughing

It's the first time I've followed this thread closely, and ahead of a mid March trip to Val di Fiemme I've no idea whether to be encouraged by the current conditions or not Smile
snow report
denfinella wrote:
Out of interest, how does this season compare so far (in terms of weather, and in terms of base depths - two different things) to an average season? It's difficult to tell because almost all the pistes are open regardless of natural snow! Laughing

It's the first time I've followed this thread closely, and ahead of a mid March trip to Val di Fiemme I've no idea whether to be encouraged by the current conditions or not Smile

This season wasn't the worst, but suddenly got a whole lot better after last weekend's huge dump. First there was the storm in late October that covered the peaks in white, then it was consistently cold enough to make snow in November & December to open the majority of the pistes as scheduled. The Dolomites missed the rain at New Year that ruined things in France. There were occasional dustings from the North in Jan when Austria was having it's Snowmageddon, then storm Pirmin dumped it's load last weekend which has improved the depth of the snowpack no end.

It's impossible to predict exactly what it will be like in mid-March at this point, as it's 5/6 weeks away, but there's a good base and providing there's not a disaster (very warm and/or wet) there'll be some good skiing to be had at altitude. I've been second week in March and had snow every night to valley level in Selva (1550m).
snow conditions
pjd wrote:
luigi wrote:

I suspect it was a one off outlier. Has disappeared from 12z. Whenever I’ve looked at the ensembles, there has been a lot of consistency for a dry half term week, but it changes between cold and (atm) warm.

Yes, thanks for that, it must have been an outlier, it's not showing on today's 00z or 06z either. Looking mild and mostly dry, just showing the chance of some snow midweek (20th), the 06z goes a bit chillier the second half of the week.

This chart is helpful, it's the combo of the 4 last runs, so irons out any outliers...

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&run=100&lat=46.49&lon=11.87&runpara=0&type=0&ext=1 (coordinates are for Arabba)
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Looking at a 2nd trip this year and the Dolomites are high on our list. In particular somewhere on the Sella Ronda. We are looking to base ourselves in Val Gardena, Arraba, Corvara or Colfosco. We will be heading out on March 23rd.
What will the pistes be like that time of year? Worried that lower down runs may not be in great nick. Not worried about off piste. We just want to do some laps of the Sella Ronda and explore the pistes.

Arabba generally has the best snow in the late season, high & N-facing, plus the Marmolada over the back (though the runs to it do suffer). Another place that keeps in good nick is Col Rodella/Passo Sella between Selva & Canazei, but probably best accessed from Campitello.

The S-facing Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco and Seceda above Selva can turn very soft in the spring sunshine.
snow report
Thanks Luigi. My instinct was that conditions were about normal for the time of year (perhaps better than that high up). Yes, I know that February doesn't really have a bearing on March skiing, but it's nice to have an idea on how things are panning out.

Also it's interesting just to learn a bit more about the winter climate in the Dolomites.
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
Thanks Luigi. My instinct was that conditions were about normal for the time of year (perhaps better than that high up). Yes, I know that February doesn't really have a bearing on March skiing, but it's nice to have an idea on how things are panning out.

Also it's interesting just to learn a bit more about the winter climate in the Dolomites.

The snowpack & coverage is looking good for the time of year, especially compared to some very lean recent years, which have been almost completely dry with brown hillsides until Feb.

The Dolomites are statistically one of the driest ranges in the Alps as they are in the rain shadow of anything coming from the prevailing W/NW Atlantic weather.

For significant snowfall you generally need a Genoa Low to form and for it to track NE to become an Adriatic Low which can just sit there lifting moisture out of the Gulf of Venice and dumping it on the mountains for days on end, that happened in 2014. These patterns seem to be more common in the Autumn & Spring, so ironically late March & April can have huge dumps in the High Alpine just at the time when the lift systems are shutting down.
snow report
@luigi, thanks - interesting and useful to know.
ski holidays
@luigi, thanks - hadn’t come across that chart before
snow conditions
chomski wrote:
I would say you were pretty safe in March. I have been with family several times in April when it can get slushy on the lower slopes but there will be plenty of good stuff higher up. We always had a great time. You either grit your teeth and get through it on the last run home or bale out and take a gondola down. They try very hard to keep the Sella Ronda open as late in the season as possible.

luigi wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Arabba generally has the best snow in the late season, high & N-facing, plus the Marmolada over the back (though the runs to it do suffer). Another place that keeps in good nick is Col Rodella/Passo Sella between Selva & Canazei, but probably best accessed from Campitello.

The S-facing Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco and Seceda above Selva can turn very soft in the spring sunshine.

pjd wrote:
@Fridge03, I’ve been to Corvara in late March. Snow was great up until about 15.00; a bit slushy after that but nothing too bad.

Thanks for your info everyone.
Can anyone recommend anywhere to stay in those areas? We are a couple open to all accommodation types. We are planning on leaving it fairly late to book but happy to source a spot sooner on a recommendation.
ski holidays
javascript:emoticon('@Fridge03,%20') Are you wanting to go with a tour operator or book accommodation yourselves? We have used Colletts Mountain holidays extensively in the past. They go to the majority of resorts listed above. The website will give you an idea. https://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/skiing-holidays/ There is very little 'bad' accommodation in the Dolomites.
ski holidays
Do you have your own transport? There are several tour operators that work in the area (eg Crystal, Colletts, MountainSun, Neilson) and who will organise transfers. There is not a huge range of chalet style deals with live-in staff who who cook but the TOs mentioned come close. If you book a hotel yourself then some areas (eg Arabba, Falcade, Alleghe) sponsor a cheap coach service which usually runs Sat/Sun/Thur from Venice, Treviso, Verona, Milan. (https://www.dolomiti.org/en/arabba/transfer/)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy