Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
@andyb64. Recommendations for detours or for food stops?

Lots of detour opportunities. The Sella Ronda goes clockwise and anticlockwise, both good and entirely different (in a similar sort of way). Just off the circuit is the whole Pralongia plateau, full of pretty cruisy blues, or head down the red or black to La Villa. There are too many other possibilities to mention in detail without knowing what you like. Similarly, I've been coming to this part of the world for 10 years or more and have rarely had a bad meal at a refugio. One I do return to is Mesoles which is just off to the left hand side coming down blue 40 into Colfosco. Slightly old fashioned with linen on the table. Nice older ladies serving. Or, if you're looking for something more lively, try Jimmy's up the hill at the top of Frara gondola. Busy but very efficient and great views.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiied Sella Ronda today, pistes starting to really firm up in the cold temperatures. A superb trip though!

I would like to take my daughter over from Canezei to Val Gardens tomorrow, I have the Siperski Pass, my daughter has Val Di Fassa Pass which won’t be valid in Val Gardena.
What are the options for upgrading her for the day?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jimmybog wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
A foot forecast over sun/mon.

Lovely, we leave next Friday. Cool

Where abouts??

Selva
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

At risk of being a negative nelly - I reckon the weather models struggle with this area though ...

Every time some decent snow appears a week away , by the time it gets closer it seems to fizzle out...

I am am giving up on snow-forecast.com. Gets me too excited and often never pans out.

Someone in the birthday bash thread said Bergfex is better / more accurate so I am using that now...

To compare - Arrabba at the top - Snow forecast says 44 cm over Sunday / Monday
Bergfex is 8 cm !!

Certainly this week, and also when we were here last year, the bergfex forecast has been far more accurate when looking 1-3 days out than snow-forecast.com. We also did the Sella Ronda today in mostly great piste conditions.

Tomorrow looks like maybe being the best day of the week. Cold, but plenty of sun and relatively quiet wind strength compared to the rest of the week. All in all, the skiing has been great, quite remarkable considering there hasn’t been a decent snowfall for over a month now.

It’s still been very scenic for the most part. Some of the lower mountain sides are looking a bit bare but it’s been very cold so most of the snow that did fall has hung around apart from the lower slopes which get direct sunshine.

A decent bit of snowfall would definitely be the icing on the cake for anyone heading out here but at the moment there’s certainly no need to worry about the snow conditions.

I did notice that the added benefit of the cold conditions today was that the snow cannons in Passo Sella were going great guns with huge mountains of snow being created. At a guess I’d say it looks as if they’re not expecting any great amounts of snow to fall off in the near future. Or maybe they’re making more snow just in case.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A very nice day today. Freezing cold, but lovely sunshine and a fairly quiet wind.

This is the view from Boe across to the top of Chertz. Still looking nice and wintery and the pistes are in good condition with lots of snowmaking going on in the freezing conditions.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@olderscot, Thanks for posting the pic. The more the merrier snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AL9000 wrote:
@olderscot, Thanks for posting the pic. The more the merrier snowHead

+1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergfex suggesting 20cm plus in Gröden tomorrow and Monday, although the official local South Tirol weather forecast positions the snowfall boundary further north (Bozen)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
New webcams keep popping up ! :: just found this (views of Saslong slope and valley..)

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/bolzano/selva-di-val-gardena.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thank you guys for the good information on the armentsrola link. we are here still and in the nice weather the last 3 days have had a splendid time and enough snow

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 18-01-19 18:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now up to 1127kms of piste open. Just 73kms left to go. Presumably the 3% of slopes without snow making snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems to be snowing, judging by the webcams and radar
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pjd wrote:

Yep - I just checked the webcam I linked above -- lots of white stuff flying by the cam ! Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Italy having one of its least-snowy seasons of all time.

Badly needs some real snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
pjd wrote:

Yep - I just checked the webcam I linked above -- lots of white stuff flying by the cam ! Smile

Useful webcams in that link, especially the ones that show you lit up towns so you can see whether it’s been snowing when it’s dark Very Happy
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Italy having one of its least-snowy seasons of all time.

Badly needs some real snow.

And therein lies the irony. The least snowy region in the alps but one of the most reliable for sking ! So far this season most days have been sunny and there haven't been any closures because of avalanche risk Laughing

Just as well that our sport is called 'skiing' and not 'snowing'. snowHead
ski holidays
Corvara this morning after a couple of inches of overnight snow

snow conditions
motyl wrote:
Corvara this morning after a couple of inches of overnight snow

Yep looks much better today. 10cm Overnight in Alta Badia, 11cm in Val Gardena. Now looks predominantly dry for next 10 days at least
snow report
@motyl, Very Happy
snow conditions
Looks perfect. Whoever's out there this weeks should have a great time. Bergfex are showing the possibility of some more snow to come later in the week.
ski holidays
olderscot wrote:
Looks perfect. Whoever's out there this weeks should have a great time. Bergfex are showing the possibility of some more snow to come later in the week.

The snow forecast for Friday/Saturday from bergfex for Corvara looks very suspect to me. On the latest GFS forecast for Friday/Saturday it looks mainly dry??? Wonder where Bergfex get their forecast data from??
snow report
Not being an expert, I can only refer to a previous post on here.

Quote:
Snowforecast uses GFS while Bergfex use ZAMG which, I think, is based on ECM. The general view is ECM is more accurate in the short term.
snow report
olderscot wrote:

Quote:
Snowforecast uses GFS while Bergfex use ZAMG which, I think, is based on ECM. The general view is ECM is more accurate in the short term.

Thanks for that info, i couldn't remember which site used which forecast data!!

The ARPAV dolomites forecast also now mentioning possibility of something for Friday. WIll be interesting to see what happens as GFS isn't predicting much for this period. Hopefully Bergfex is correct Very Happy
ski holidays
I certainly found that last week Bergfex was more accurate than Snowforecast for Corvara. This time though I think it was largely a case of how much (if any) cloud and snow was going to make it down over the alps to the Dolomites from Austria (very little in reality) so it might not have much relevance in other situations or conditions.
snow report
olderscot wrote:

Four inches of snow beyond the edge of the piste sounds far from perfect! If you want perfect then head to Austria!
snow conditions
@jellylegs, perfect for me. Not interested off piste, so its all cosmetic to me.
latest report
Fair bit of snow overnight and of and on today
A bit more forecast for tonight
Just finished for day as lights gone flat and there are some big bumps with the new snow
Sells r closed of and on today due to high winds high up
On piste condition were good even before the new snow
latest report
Heading out to Canazei Saturday so glad to hear on piste conditions are good.
Was hoping to do Val de Mezdi this trip but not looking like a possibility so far ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog wrote:
olderscot wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for that info, i couldn't remember which site used which forecast data!!

The ARPAV dolomites forecast also now mentioning possibility of something for Friday. WIll be interesting to see what happens as GFS isn't predicting much for this period. Hopefully Bergfex is correct Very Happy

https://www.meteotrentino.it concurs re Friday
ski holidays
Bergfex/ECM forecast going for 25-35cm at the end of the week, mainly Fri night into Sat morning.

https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/prognose/

GFS 06z main run looking dry, but some ensemble runs are showing precip and pulling up the average in that period.

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=11.8

ARPAV are calling for snow, but going cautious saying the quantities are yet to be defined:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Let's hope ECM/Bergfex have it right! snowHead
snow conditions
KKGerro wrote:
Heading out to Canazei Saturday so glad to hear on piste conditions are good.
Was hoping to do Val de Mezdi this trip but not looking like a possibility so far ...

You will be fine
None of the runs that have snow making have been closed other than for wind that we have came across so far

Our skis have not made it here yet though they seem to be on there own tour of Europe!!!
latest report
I guess Friday's snow depends on a Genoa or Adriatic Low scenario licking some moisture in. Very tricky to call until it develops. At this stage, the low that may produce it is probably a twinkle in Newfoundland's eye.
snow conditions
@luigi, Indeed. From observation over a few years, that is the most reliable source of snow for the area.

Clearly we need more butterflies to flap their wings in SE Asia. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
The most reliable source of snow in the Dolomites comes from cannons.

To be clear, I love the Dolomites and we're going to Selva at half term. However, it's definitely the weak sister in terms of natural snow.
snow report
Pasigal wrote:
The most reliable source of snow in the Dolomites comes from cannons.

To be clear, I love the Dolomites and we're going to Selva at half term. However, it's definitely the weak sister in terms of natural snow.

But the big brother in terms of sunshine!
ski holidays
Give me cannon's every time
Great on piste skiing and mostly sunshine so far and very quite lift's
Much rather be here than Australia at present
No off piste yet though
ski holidays
Given that it’s amongst the sunniest and driest part of the alps, the dolomites certainly wouldn’t be my first destination of choice for going off piste without prior knowledge of recent and above average snowfall.

For Skiing on piste in dramatic and beautiful winter scenery I think it’s hard to fault the current conditions.
snow report
^^I agree -- have never seen finer on-piste conditions. Hero snow!

However, last year we were able to sneak in some sidecountry excursions above 2000 meters. But the terrain is generally not conducive -- not many high alpine bowls, very steep rock formations etc.
snow report
We are flying to Venice Marco Polo airport, hiring a car then travelling to Pozza di Fassa at half term. Any recommendation on which route to take? Most direct route according to google maps is A27 to Belluno then SR203 to Moena. Is this a route that should be relatively safe after snowfall. We will have chains but not snow tyres. Any thoughts from those in the know?
snow report
we had some pretty epic off piste last year in some very varied terrain which lasted well because it's not an area that's famous for it's off piste
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy