Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
We have been here since 29th. Weather has been lovely and sunny, however it’s been very windy all week and Sella Ronda shut or on alert many days and it’s so cold it’s unreal! Slopes very icy in the morning, but you can barely notice any difference between real and artificial snow. About 2 cm snow fell at valley level last night.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^^Amazing how cold it can get in some spots there -- we had a couple of days last year of minus 10 and windy, too -- was tough at top of Dantercepies and the Seceda. Luckily there seems to be a baita with hot drinks every 10 meters...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there last year during a cold snap at the end of Feb when it got down to -25. Skiing was superb but you couldn't sit outside even in the sun. Frozen nostril hairs I seem to remember.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is a day out in Kronplatz easily possible from Corvara ? Is it best to get the bus from Corvara or ski to the bus stop at Sponata first ? Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kronplatz is certainly do-able from Corvara. Not sure about a bus from Corvara, general consensus is to ski to Sponata for the bus to Piculin

timetable here --- https://www.kronplatz.com/ferienregion-skigebiete/kronplatz/anlagen-skipisten/skisafari/connecting-skiers/flyer_connectingskiers.pdf

Leave plenty of time for the return …!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S wrote:
Is a day out in Kronplatz easily possible from Corvara ? Is it best to get the bus from Corvara or ski to the bus stop at Sponata first ? Many thanks.

QUickest way would be to catch the bus from Corvara to Sponata and then catch the direct Kronplatz transfer bus. Or you could continue on the public bus but I dont know where you would get off to get up to Kronplatz? I'm guessing it would be the Piccolino stop and then get the Piculin gondola up and then ski down to San Vigilio (or gondola down) and then up to Krozplatz. I'm taking a guess but I susect the shuttle from SPonata also drops you off at at the Piculin gondila station, otherwise its quite a trek by road to San viglio from Sponata.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S wrote:
https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en

I notice they have started making snow again. Perhaps to open the few remaining closed runs ? Looks like most of the pistes reached their target depth two weeks ago.

I dont think some of the pistes that are currently closed have snowmaking on them. Such as Incisa, Punta Triesete - Pralongia Variante and Plans 1.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading to Corvara at the end of the month and will definitely make the trip over to Kronplatz. Is there any advantage in pre-booking lift passes online? Presumably we will still have to join the queue (if there is one) to pick them up at the ticket office. Am I missing something?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GingerWizard, often you can book ski pass online to be delivered to your hotel. I think if you go through online process you can then see if your hotel is listed as being in the scheme.

Edit: or did you mean ski pass for kronplatz? It is covered if you get dolomitisuperski passes. My past experience is the cost difference between an area such as Alta badia and the dolomitisperski is relatively small in practice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice.

A bit of snow over the next couple of days. Staying very cold.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very cold today but really great skiing in sunny conditions.

Headed from Selva to scale Marmolada but sadly closed due to high winds so we did a few runs in Arabba before finishing the Sella Ronda Orange route.

Currently snowing fairly hard (not forecasted).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
Kronplatz is certainly do-able from Corvara. Not sure about a bus from Corvara, general consensus is to ski to Sponata for the bus to Piculin

timetable here --- https://www.kronplatz.com/ferienregion-skigebiete/kronplatz/anlagen-skipisten/skisafari/connecting-skiers/flyer_connectingskiers.pdf

Might be wrong but I am sure another snowhead thread (possible Arabba birthday bash) said best way to kronplatz is ski down to la villa and get busy from there ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sheffskibod wrote:

snowHead snowHead
Where's that,
In Selva?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AL9000 wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

snowHead snowHead
Where's that,
In Selva?

Yep Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sheffskibod wrote:
albob wrote:

Might be wrong but I am sure another snowhead thread (possible Arabba birthday bash) said best way to kronplatz is ski down to la villa and get busy from there ?

Basically the same place : Sponata is the name of a lift just outside La Villa, and from where the ski bus to Piculin (Kronplatz) starts

=======================EDIT===========

For PeterS - there is a bus from Corvara to Piculin

http://www.sii.bz.it/en/siitimetablesquery

Just enter 'Corvara' and 'Piccolino' into the search box

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 3-01-19 22:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

snowHead snowHead
Where's that,
In Selva?

Yep Very Happy

That's great news the forecast compared to Austria for the next 3 days is depressing. I'm heading in Selva on Saturday.
ski holidays
I’m due to be in Arabba tomorrow but it looks like there will be a lot of wind. I’m wondering if a change to somewhere in Austria would be better?
snow report
dklemm wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

snowHead snowHead
Where's that,
In Selva?

Yep Very Happy

That's great news the forecast compared to Austria for the next 3 days is depressing. I'm heading in Selva on Saturday.

Happens every year (bar one)...the Austrians keep nicking our snow Madeye-Smiley
snow report
dklemm wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

snowHead snowHead
Where's that,
In Selva?

Yep Very Happy

I wouldn’t worry , the pistes are in pretty decent nick. It will be a bit warmer for you (too cold yesterday), wind is dropping and visibility will be good.

The snow last night only amounted to a cm , but every thing looks pretty this morning!
snow conditions
Still looking predominantly dry for the next 9 days. Only the slightest possibility of something in days 10 to 14 though this is too far out to have any confidence in. Now looking very similar to 2016/2017 when virtually nothing fell until February. I imagine the Dolomiti Superski company will keep investing in snowmaking cannons, reservoirs etc for some years to come as they certainly do need it in this bone dry region.
ski holidays
Right now i'd take the 250 open lifts, sunny weather and 283 miles of connected runs, over fresh snow snowHead
snow report
I'm guessing the Hidden Valley, and the track from Lagazoi down to Cinqe Torre and the Super 8 aren't open either...?
ski holidays
shiva_71 wrote:
I'm guessing the Hidden Valley, and the track from Lagazoi down to Cinqe Torre and the Super 8 aren't open either...?

At Falzarego the following pistes are closed:

Falzarego to Col Gallina blue piste
Falzarego blue piste 4
Col Gallina blue piste 5
Limedes blue piste 7
Col gallina to Bai de dones blue piste 8

Hidden valley is open

World war I ski tours both closed
ski holidays
Thinking of a few days in Madonna di Campiglio at the end of Jan. Never been before. Anyone been there recently? Are the pistes all open?
ski holidays
Ready to go this weekend. Hope to see the sun if no snow is expected... What is the quickest / most convenient route & lifts nowadays from Selva Gardena (Dantercepies) to the Hidden Valley, to the Lagazuoi bus ? How often does the bus go in the early parts of the day, or is taxi the proper solution ? There are some closed pistes around S.Cassiano, does that matter in order to get to the bus ? Expect it will take more than 1 hour from Selva to the bus ?
snow conditions
Use : http://www.opensnowmap.org/

Taxibus i quite ok. Just wait.

Make sure the Lagazoui Gondola is not closed due to strong winds! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Hyst, Just a minor correction, Lagazuoi has a cable car not a gondola. Smile
snow report
I think I have this right, so here goes: (Apologies for the long winded detailed instructions but I was bored, so gave me something to do)

Ski from Dantercepies all the way down to COlfosco
take to Borest gondola to Corvara

From Corvara, route 1:

Take the 29. Costes De L'ega chair
Take the 13. Capanna Nera draglift up (first section only)
Go across the slope and ski down to Pralongia Lift 15.
Take pralongia lift up

Exit left and down blue 88
Take 16. Pranlongia II chair up
or
Exit right and down blue Forcella/Incisa slope
Take 28 maserai chair up

Both the above take you up to pralongia
Take blue 9A (9B is currently closed). Once you pass Saraghes hut, I'm sure you turn off right onto blue 9 down to Armentarola.When you reach the top of the Armentarola drag lift, keep right and ski down beside this drag lift (do not veer left which takes you to San Cassiano)
Walk to the road for the busses/taxis up to Falzarego.

From Corvara, route 2:

Take the 29. Costes De L'ega chair
Exit left and down and then turn right, go under the road, follow piste to Col Alto gondola
Take gondola up
Go down initial blue or red slope and then left to Braia Fraida chair
Exit chair then go straight ahead and down blue 14 to Ciampai chair
Go up Ciampai chair 9.

AT the top, on the right as you exit, check if blue 10A is open. if open take this down and it will join 9A just before Saraghes hut. Then past Saraghes take blue 9 to Armentarola as per route 1 instructions
or
AT the top of Ciampai chair, if blue 10A is closed, turn left and go past vegas Lodge and then right onto blue 11
Blue 11 joins 9A and 10/10A just past the Saraghes hut.
Immediately after joining 9A/10/10A turn right onto blue 9 down to Armentarola as per route 1 instructions
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Hyst, Just a minor correction, Lagazuoi has a cable car not a gondola. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_tramway

Many names you have in English. wink
ski holidays
My daughter has a full day ski school at Canazei. I’m hoping to do Sella Rond, will it be possible? What’s the wind forecast?
ski holidays
If you stick to the route and avoid scenic diversions, then, depending on crowds and coffee stops I would estimate 3-4 hours. And, yes keep a look out for high winds which will shut key gondolas.

Better though to take your time and head off up tributaries and linger over a good lunch and take all day.
snow report
I’ll be heading out from Canezei, any recommendations?
latest report
@Geh, what @jimmybog said, or you can take what I'd consider to be the "better skiing" route from Corvara - up Boe gondola, ski down into Passo Campolongo and take Cherz 2 chair up to Monte Cherz, ski down to Cherz and take Maserai chair up to Pralongia then follow his instructions from Pralongia. Bear in mind Maserai always seems chilly Happy
snow report
SteveM wrote:
@Geh, what @jimmybog said, or you can take what I'd consider to be the "better skiing" route from Corvara - up Boe gondola, ski down into Passo Campolongo and take Cherz 2 chair up to Monte Cherz, ski down to Cherz and take Maserai chair up to Pralongia then follow his instructions from Pralongia. Bear in mind Maserai always seems chilly Happy

Yep, another good route option. Probably longer than my route 1 but no drag lifts. Quite like the run down from Cherz through the trees.
ski holidays
A foot forecast over sun/mon.

Lovely, we leave next Friday. Cool
latest report
Mollerski wrote:

Where abouts??
ski holidays
looks like a bit of snow on Monday and then perhaps later into January after that. Remarkably the Sella Ronda still has about the most kms of open connected ski runs in Europe. No recent reports on surface conditions however snowHead
snow conditions
I skied Canazei, Arabba and La Villa on tuesday and can confirm that the pistes were in very good condition.
snow report
I am currently in the Belvedere area and the pistes and weather are excellent.....
snow report
Mollerski wrote:

At risk of being a negative nelly - I reckon the weather models struggle with this area though ...

Every time some decent snow appears a week away , by the time it gets closer it seems to fizzle out...

I am am giving up on snow-forecast.com. Gets me too excited and often never pans out.

Someone in the birthday bash thread said Bergfex is better / more accurate so I am using that now...

To compare - Arrabba at the top - Snow forecast says 44 cm over Sunday / Monday
Bergfex is 8 cm !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy