Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much can an ISIA instructor expect to get paid

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

With a BASI 2 qualification (ISIA) it is possible to work in Canada / Switzerland / Andora and most other places - but NOT in France.

Out of interest does anyone know how much you can realistically expect to get paid as an ISIA.

Is it possible to make a decent living with just an ISIA ? (Obviously you ideally want to get a BASI 1, and race test, which allows you to work in France - but realistically the pass test rate in a mere 20%)

Apologies for "the how long is a piece of string" type question.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The ISIA stamp is basically the universal instructors qualification (basi 1 for French equivalence only) and correct me if i'm wrong but I think you can work everywhere bar Italy. In France you will get three years before you need to get your grade 1. There, you could expect to make around £500 - £600 per wk in Val or 3Vs (big accom. costs though)...In Switzerland in the likes of Verbier and Zermatt you could probably get about the same. I don't know about N America, Andorra etc..

Once you take off your accom, other living and travelling costs most grade 2s find the thing a bit of a struggle. You might go home at the end of the season with a stash if you can get inexpensive digs and don't go too nuts in the pub.

I'm sure some of the regulars on this board will have something to say on this.

It's snowing pretty hard up here in Scotland now...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I might be wrong here. but I think they very recently changed it in France so that all instructors must have passed the speed test before they can teach, or be given the 3 years grace period ?

I am currently thinking about going for my ISIA - as it looks like a great course and good challenge. But it would cost alot of money and I might never use it as a career option.

The whole speed test thing is also slightly intimidating however for some who is a technically good skier - but not from a race background. Never raced in my life - and you have to finsih within 20% of french b team standard. From reading I have done the pass rate is only 20% !! Last year they ran a speed test on Cairngorm and 1 person out of 30 passed Shock

Thanks for the advice. Yup - its snowing up north !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottish Ski Bum, I've a pal whose a BASI 2 out in Andorra at the moment who's earning 29 euros an hour. No retainer, only gets paid for teaching hours.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottish Ski Bum, If you want to make a career of ski teaching - then the speed test is a must....Scotland probably isn't the best place to prepare for it tho. If you are a
Quote:

technically good skier

then the speed test should be doable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Er... the BASI offices are actually based in Aviemore.
Yup - scotland isnt THE best place to prepare. But then neither is anywhere in Britain....!?!?

A 20% pass rate indicates to me that the speed test certainly isn't a walk in the park.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To work in France as a grade 2 as from this November you must do the test technique (different to the speed test). The test technique is a slalom, i've seen a test technique going and reckon it wouldn't be that hard for a grade 2 level skier who's recently passed...standards are quite strong now.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottish Ski Bum, You may be able to work in austria with ISIA but would be paid as a Landeskilehrer and not as a Stadletgeprufter (sp?) this would be less money obviously.ditto in Switzerland. Probably almost everywhere yu'd only get paid 2nd string, and certainly only for teaching hours. Not sure about the States though, but they get increment for returners and generating business etc.

Test Technique shuldn't be a huge problem for a Grade 2 skier, and then there's time to get the rest of your qualifications. OTOH I'm seriously doubtful if it's worth the effort and money if you're not thinking of a career in ski teaching,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy