Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC2 Avalanche Program Snowhead!

Poster: A snowHead
Watched this program on avalanche research last night and saw a British guy in the team with a Snowheads sticker on his helmet! snowHead I wasn't hallucinating as a second look confirmed it was. Somebody from a Northern Uni?
Anybody know who it was? It was interesting so worth a watch on catch up snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Linds, I saw it too. There was a a guy from Durham Uni on there?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes that was him Laughing snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I watched the program - very interesting indeed, I recommend catching it on iPlayer if you can - but failed to notice our moment of fame snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I saw that, the sticker was visible around 21 minutes into the programme.
It was a fantastic bit of film, containing lots of useful information, which is rare in a TV program these days.
I must now go and re read my avalanche safety notes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Prof Jim McElwaine was the guy from Durham Uni.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I only caught the last half hour with her being buried, which was impressive, all be it in very strict laboratory type conditions.

However I did think that her voice over conclusion at the end was a bit OTT with some of the claims she was making following on from their good but all be it limited* research eg thousands of lives could be saved etc etc

*Twas pretty obvious was not the depths of winter, not freshly fallen snow (looked like spring), and numerous other factors, hence some of their projected models did not work out. The actual slide at the end near the car looked more like a spring slide but was impressive at the top with the colder snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only caught the end but enjoyed it a lot as well. Missed the snowheads sticker, will now go back on iplayer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
was a good watch (snow-fix Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ) I stumbled across it 20mins in, so went in to iplayer and started watching from the beginning.
my link and claim to fame with the programme, was I gave a lift up to Meribel to the brit snowboarder (jonno verity) who was caught up in the avi in new Zealand, when he was hitchhiking up from moutiers to do his first season in the alps in the mid 90s. from memory, he had a job in one of the mark warner establishments as a plongeur, used to see him around town after that and followed his career as a pro boarder/film maker since, I think he lives in Cham now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the cameramen was Ryan Atkinson

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpEpZNABhPu/?taken-by=ryanatkinsoncam
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
terrygasson wrote:
and followed his career as a pro boarder/film maker since

is that what they call skibums with gopros these days Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought they overdid the 'jeopardy' element a bit with stuff like the countdown and threatening music, but the information was interesting. I was also disappointed that they chose to put a lot of time to the presenter being buried and panicking but only briefly had the interview with Elyse. I know that the avalanche she was in is fairly well documented, but I'm sure she'd have some interesting points. And I didn't think they made enough of the human influence on a number of avalanches.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was a bit of an oddity. They intended to fracture the deeply buried weak layer but suspect they failed and instead got what appeared to be a loose surface snow avy which seemed to go airborne. There was no footage of big crown walls post slide.

That would explain why their models were wrong, they were modeling a different type of slide.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very interesting programme. I would also like to have heard more from the female skier who was caught in the avalanche.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LOTA, this is a very good article about the avi Elyse was in, if you've not read it. Think I got the link when someone posted it on snowheads a few seasons back
http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/index.html
snow conditions
@davidof, and cheap drones from Argos, now counts as “aerial photography”🚁🚁
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, thank you.

Program or programme when talking of television? I knowe whiche one I prefere!
ski holidays
Name of the programme, so I can find it on iPlayer?
snow report
Avalanche: Making a deadly snowstorm
snow conditions
@ecureuil, it's an episode of Horizon.
ski holidays
@LOTA, funnily enough I was just about to make the same point. What the flip is a "program". What's the world coming to?
latest report
Sorry, but that yellow 'S' is a 'Smith' sticker on the back of the guys helmet i'm afraid. False positive, but the doc was worth a watch.
latest report
@HammondR, If you are from Halifax NS then it is Program. If from Halifax UK then Programme. If i=on the internet which is the wold then both will do.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Agree see it on player at 25.31
latest report
I thought this 'program' was great Happy Although fits in with the book I was reading at the time 'A Wall of White' about a fatal avalanche in Alpine Meadows in 1982. Reading this for our 'Ski Book Group' on The Ski Podcast (http://theskipodcast.com/)

ski holidays
link to the programme - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bny2mq/horizon-2018-10-avalanche-making-a-deadly-snowstorm
ski holidays
Just set a reminder to watch this tonight as I didn't even know it was on, thanks all!
ski holidays
Was a good watch, if a bit anti-climatic in the end!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was "ok" and that's about it really. Testing an Avalung... Aren't they about ten or twelve years old now?

Only one type of avalanche really investigated, a triggered slab and a discussion about hoare frost and the resulting weak layer.

I don't profess to know much about avalanches but this seemed pretty basic stuff however I was interested in the wave theory which came from the sensors sited within the car!
latest report
homers double wrote:
however I was interested in the wave theory which came from the sensors sited within the car!

I've not watched the video back but at the time I wondered of that was the result of snow from the bombs appearing to take separate paths before converging on to the main run out. But I imagine they will have thought of that Wink
ski holidays
You wait ages for a programme on Avalanches, and then the Beeb shows two in a week !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0824cw7/dangerous-earth-1-avalanche
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@LOTA, this is a very good article about the avi Elyse was in, if you've not read it. Think I got the link when someone posted it on snowheads a few seasons back
http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/index.html

This was an excellent (but terrible) read, along with the accompanying video.
ski holidays
Yes - repeated later tonight 2315 I recall.
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
Yes - repeated later tonight 2315 I recall.

yep - BBC2
snow report
I at last got around to watching it it last night and I was hugely dissappointed. There was lots of lovely photography and lots of talk with people caught in avalanches, but almost no science. It appears that they found a potential avalanche site, indstumented it it well, set off an avalanche (i have to confess I fell asleep at that point) then said it didn't match their current models. What was missing was any description of what their current models were. That was the bit I spent the whole programme waiting for.
They showed the team using LIDAR to form a DEM of the snow surface, but did they have a non snow covered model to compare it with to get the snow depth distribution. Where was the remote sensing to determine the snow density, cohesion etc over the whole slope? They showed only one pit and then only measuring compaction using the finger, fist, etc test. The scientists must have had much more information than that.
This was a big expensive experiment which clearly took a lot of planning and produced a lot of results. I think the BBC did the scientists who did this work an injustice with their superficial coverage. A shame really. Perhaps the OU could produce a proper, more interesting version.
snow report
Watched it last night - obviously popular science rather than serious science.

Anyone spot that were in the same place as Inception, Fortress Mt Alberta. Skied there once when it was still alive as a Shining -like ski hill.

Agree with the comments above - a bit too much time spent on Missoula relative to Elysse who was basically reduced to a "it's bad being in an avy" soundbite. And while its interesting that "new" snow succeeds the "starter" snow I'm not sure that is a startling revelation. The avy was also disappointingly small - you'd almost fancy your chances of surviving in the car thet was hit.

As for the being buried with an avalung test in Utah, a bit of brave presenter theatre, wasted time that could be have been spent on some more relevant stuff.

But hey better than most avalanche Top 10/true survivor type programmes so some credit due.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy