Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen? Obergurgl? or ?

Poster: A snowHead
In late March I'm doing a week or so in the Arlberg followed by a week in the Dolomites. Afterwards I want to stop somewhere new to me on the way back to Munich airport for 2-4 days. I need to make my plans before we'll know about snow coverage, and since it will be early April by then it seems I ought to target higher ground for the farewell. I've been to Solden and the terrain is fine but the town looked awful. I liked Kitzbuhel a lot, but its low. If it helps, I ski hard and party soft: in the Arlberg, I like the terrain (though not the crowds) at St A but I stay in the nice, quiet town of Lech. In the Dolomites I ski all over the place but sleep in San Cassiano, where the only sound after 10pm is me snoring. Note that "on the way back to Munich airport" is a term we can use loosely as I'll have a car and don't mind using it. Also: is it possible to access Solden from the south? Looks like there is a road, but it also looks like one that might be closed in winter. While I'm at it, thanks to @Langerzug for past assistance re Arlberg, I finally skied your namesake run last season, nice and steep with some of the best snow there. Thanks for any tips you'd care to share.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The pass over to Hochgurgl/Obergurgl and Solden will be shut. Obergurgl is nice pleasant Piste skiing, be good for a few days but much smaller than St A.

If I was in your shoes I'd probably come back from Italy via Merano and ski either Nauders (it's a small resort but good fun for a long weekend) or Serfaus, which has a much bigger ski area and might be a better bet late season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe Obertauern?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
St Moritz, southeast Switzerland.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scooter in Seattle, Kitz is always one of the last resorts to close. Usually keep some runs open till early May. Have skied powder there in early April many times.
Serfaus is a good bet.
If you are thinking Mayrhofen, why not go for Hochfügen? Probably more snow sure
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
St Moritz, southeast Switzerland.

Important caveat that only Corvatsch and Diavolezza will be open, Corviglia's-the main area-projected closing date is April 7th.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you tried Ischgl? It is near to St Anton though is not exactly on the route between the Dolomites and Munich. However if you come back via Meran it is easy to get to Samnaun which is part of the same ski area. Ischgl is open from late November until early May. The Serfaus idea is probably a good one too. The Reschenpass is open year round unlike the Timmelsjoch (for the Ötztal)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scooter in Seattle,

Welcome to Snowheads!

You will be driving (more or less) past Neustift im Stubaital on the way back north so I would recommend a couple of days at the Stubai Glacier. Neustift itself is a picturesque village in a lovely location, with lots of cheap accommodation and very nice restaurants.The Stubai glacier is about a 20 minute drive away (18km from Neustift) & there is also high level skiing (at about 2000m) at nearby Fulpmes. I've not skied there but I'm sure others will be able to advise about the area.

If you do visit Neustift you could combine it with Solden, about 90 minutes drive away.

I would also endorse Hochfugen in Zillertal. It's a lovely valley, with a lot of skiing, and you can also visit the glacier at Hintertux - which is excellent.

Then there's Ischgl, which has also been mentioned above. Great skiing and a fantastic town. Even though you aren't big on après ski I'm sure you will love the town, as the atmosphere is incredible. Mrs B loves the après there - & she's teetotal! Very Happy

I think every skier should have Ischgl on his/her "to do list."

Also, if you are near Bolzano in Italy, I recommend visiting the museum in the town. It's the home of Oetzi, the iceman. The artefacts there are amazing - including his well preserved 5,000 year old clothes and rucksac! Its one of the best museums we've ever visited.

www.iceman.it/en/

Remember to let us know how you get on on your trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about Ischgl. Slopes high and west facing. near St Anton.

Solden only accessible from the north. Obergurgl high and reliable, but fairly limited. Agreed, Solden town looks awaful - driven through it 3 times on way to Obergurgl - which is very quiet
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All: thanks, I really appreciate the quality input. I hadn't even heard of Serfaus, that looks interesting. I had written off Ischgl once I heard they passed a law banning the carrying of skis in town after 16:00 since folks apparently were getting whacked. And I assumed that these chaps ski like they, uh, walk. But if Mrs. B likes it then I should put it back on the list. I'll be flying solo, maybe I can fantasize about getting into trouble before I fade away at 20:00. As for museums, thanks for the suggestion, which reminds me: anybody been to the Messner at Kronplatz? I skied there for one day last March on my way from Lech to San Cassiano. That front side is pretty nice, and the architecture of the museum is beautiful (Zaha Hadid) but I didn't enter. That's on the list for this year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scooter in Seattle, News to me about a ban on carrying skis in Ischgl, though not been back for a few years. No doubt Ischgl is big on apres and is a bit more blingy (not sure how to translate that into American) than St Anton but you can simply ignore all that. Samnaun is a lot quieter and accesses the same skiing. Less of an off piste focus than St A though still plenty of options.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing in Iscghl is excellent, plus the lift system is second only to Saalbach in my opinion. Skiing on Samnaun side is indeed a bit quieter. Not sure I will bother with the two resort runs though this year (great runs but a pain to get back to the Ischgl side).

Ischgl supposedly has a reputation on the slopes, but I didn't really notice it. Resort runs at end of day very busy, but that's probably not unusual. Have taken gondola down before if late as the other skiers can be a problem then.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if flying solo, why do you need to decide well in advance? You are highly unlikely to encounter problems with room availability that late in the year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Solden away from the main road is better - still not "chocolate box" but not unpleasant.
If you wanted to you could stay in Solden where the accommodation is cheaper and, with a 20 min skibus ride, be skiing in the Gurgls. They have a skipass that covers both areas these days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now leaning toward Arlberg, Serfaus, Dolomites, maybe Kitz for a day or two at the end.
latest report
I'm usually in Obergurgl at the end of the season and although the piste skiing is quite tame there are loads of hairy off-piste runs, if you know where to go. This year conditions were particularly awesome right until the penultimate day of the season, when I left.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy