Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie early December?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like I might be able to squeeze in a little December skiing and I was thinking of going somewhere new.

Fernie looks like a pretty amazing place but what's it like early December? From the snow fall record it gets less snow than Tignes but more regularly or is this completely misleading?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apples and oranges.

If memory serves it gets close to 9m a season which is nothing to sniff at.

Normally gets good early snow.

Doesn't need as much as Tignes to fill in the gaps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
29 feet is part of their marketing schtick. Mind you when i spent an extended period of time there some wags went around defacing certain marketing materials and lift maps from "Legendary Powder" to "Allegedly Powder".
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can look at the daily snowfall history here https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/british-columbia/fernie-alpine/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2017

How early are you looking? It's not even scheduled to open till 7th December. Personally, I wouldn't risk going before Christmas time. Of course it could be great, but why take a chance when spending so much money.

I would look at somewhere more snowsure - colorado or Wyoming both tend to get lifts spinning in november.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boarder2020, I was going to do a nonstop course starting 1 December. They did say they couldn’t guarantee powder skiing... I was just wondering how much of a risk it was. As you say it’s a long way to go for not much snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boarder2020 wrote:
You can look at the daily snowfall history here https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/british-columbia/fernie-alpine/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2017

I did look at the history....but it's not always clear cut. I mean a lot depends on what the terrain is like temperature and altitude or wind cover. I mean Tignes gets a shed load of snow for instance but probably don't need that much (last year especially) so just because it doesn't drown didn't mean it wouldn't necessarily be awesome.

Just wondering if anyone has done it on a regular basis.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite a big risk I'd say on the 1 December point. I rocked up in Fernie one year around the 15th and we weren't reliably riding the trees or bowls until after new year. And trees/ chutes is really where it's at in Fernie - you need a certain depth to cover deadfall for it to be safe.

Fernie is low altitude compared to Rockies areas which means it needs to get cold. It is geographically advantaged in the sense that when a storm does come it gets stuck in the kink in the valley and precips hard. Just as long as that precip ain't rain. Lake Louise is kinda the opposite high cops early storms but often bypassed by the biggies.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
R@1n is a bigger chance in December than any other winter month at Fernie.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good point about rain. Been at fernie towards the end of a season and rain completely ruined conditions. Early December is certainly a risk of rain. There's a pretty big chance a lot of the better terrain won't have enough snow. Of course there's also a small chance it could be epic, but not worth the risk imo.

Regarding nonstop, imo they are very overpriced. You can get excellent instruction at any north American resort.

As I said above if your set on those dates there are much better options:

-Jackson hole is more reliable, plus you have grand targhee up the road which is consistently one of the first resorts to open each year. Also if snow sucks at least you can see Yellowstone.

-fly into Denver and get an epic pass. You have your pick of resorts so can pick based on best conditions. Plenty of snowsure places on that pass.

-if you are set on Canada whistler is more snowsure than fernie.

I would also consider staying in Europe and saving the money for when you can go to North America at a better time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colorado is open now.

Barring a ridiculous warm up and/or drought then it seems that's as good a place as any early season THIS season
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd say its a bit risky
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went the 2nd week in January some years ago, and it got down to -37, and we had great snow. Saw my pals at the airport in Calgary on the way back (they were heading out) telling them how good it wasy.

the first day they had was great, then it warmed up to 11C, started raining and in 2 days the mountain was brown. They were given Ski Pass vouchers for the following year and went to Banff and they were fine.

Bit of an extreme example, but sh*t happens sometimes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dougy Giro, Wow that must have been tough Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks snowHead s for all your replies.

Reluctantly I think I will leave Canada until next season when I will do it properly and see it at it's best. I am, after all, already doing a shed load of skiing this season. Laughing

Cheers and may the snow be with you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy