Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz. Few questions

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, I’ve booked a flight to Geneva for March and I’m thinking of staying in avoriaz, although Morzine seems cheaper.
Which should I go for?
What are the prices like for food and beer?

Also hoping to go the majority of the places in pds.

Any information on anything would be grateful
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to do the whole PDS then stay in Avoriaz, as its more central.
Avoriaz does have a few good bars and restaurants, but for a bigger choice of restaurants and bars, then go for Morzine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s like many ski resorts, not overly cheap for beer. Moraine will probably be better in that respect but I think Avoriaz is a nicer setting, more central and has the advantage of altitude.

When in March? End of March might be starting to get a bit thin on the lower slopes of Morzine. Still perfectly skiable but not ideal.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoriaz gives you ski in/ski out and puts you in the main part of the PdS ski area as soon as you clip you skis on. It's also a purpose-build, French mountain-top resort so little competition over prices (as everything's ultimately controlled by the same company), comparatively little happening in the evenings (due to majority of people being either self catering or full board), and a good 25% tax for often rabbit-hutch accomodation.

Morzine givens you a real village but means either a bus/gondola or gondola/long, flat traverse book-ending each day to get to the main PdS ski area (though still easy-enough to do the PdS 'ring' in a day). It's a real village though, so competition between bars/restaurants controlling prices, a lot more (quantity, quality and variety) happening in the evenings, and for my mine less money for more space on the accomodation front.

Personally if I had a young family and was self catering I'd probably go Avoriaz - less kit carrying, car-free, good pool and food/bed schedules mean apres is probably limited to a quick one right off the mountain anyway.

With other adults or older children I'd probably go Morzine - kit carrying should be less of an issue, evenings less accomodation-bound due to early bedtimes, and an appartment that sleeps 4 will be cheaper and have 2 bedrooms + living room, not 1 bedroom + livingroom with sofa bed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would stay in Avoriaz and have done so many times. I value ski in ski out as I go to ski.

It is always possible to take the Prodains lift down to Morzine for a night out as it runs till late 10.30 pm ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TQA wrote:
I would stay in Avoriaz and have done so many times. I value ski in ski out as I go to ski.

It is always possible to take the Prodains lift down to Morzine for a night out as it runs till late 10.30 pm ?

Think it may run right up to midnight
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But the Prodains lift is miles from Morzine - certainly not walkable.

Personally I prefer to stay in Morzine - for both the lovely traditional town feel, the variety of bars and restaurants and then the easy access to either the Avoriaz side or Les Gets/Mont Chery depending on conditions. But then I don't mind the ski and gondola back down from Avoriaz at the end of the day (there are a couple of lovely little bars by the top of the Super Morzine for a swift vin chaud or two before catching the last bubble down).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was a free shuttle bus to and from Prodain last time I was there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TQA wrote:

But running how late. Summer timetable only on site atmo runs only till 18h30
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I’ve booked a flight to Geneva for March

When? Paris half term till 10 March. Will make vast difference to accommodation availability and price (and crowds) if it's the following week!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
TQA wrote:

Seems from Avorinet that prodains only opens to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. Other times it’s open until 21:30 and the shuttle bus runs up to nine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
TQA wrote:

Is a similar time/maybe 30min/1hr later in the winter too for the last bus from both Prodains and Ardant back to Morzine. Not missed the last bus back from Happy Hours, yet... Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for end of day descending via lovely bars at Super Morzine then telecabin down. Also descending on where you stay in Morzine, the bus from Ardent makes for a good route home if you've been skiing Linderets/Swiss/Chatel sectors in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year's timetable suggest the last bus to Prodains leaves Morzine at 8.40ish. So plenty of time for a bit of maximum shunting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’d always be more keen to stay over at Chatel. Defo quieter over at that side and if you’re with beginners or young kids they can find it quite scary getting out of Avoriaz. Chatel has as many bars and restaurants as most folk would need. Morzine has been over developed in my opinion, too many beds for the uplift. Avoriaz is appealing from the ski in ski out factor though.
latest report
When I go to that area with my mates, we stay in Morzine, When I go there with my kids, we stay in Avoriaz.
snow report
We did our first ever family skiing holiday (4 beginners) in Avoriaz last year. Ski in / ski out is great ... but does depend where you're staying in the resort. We picked close to the main resort centre and it was good - as you're close to the some easy tows and a green run. The only "scary" bit was the "Crete" blue run down into town at the end of the day when it does get busy (and - in my opinion - some people don't pay enough attention to the slightly nervous snow-plowers taking it slow ... whizzing past us just missing our skis etc.). But that's probably true of most resorts on the run home near the end of day I guess.

If it wasn't for the fact we have to go away at Half term this year we'd be seriously considering going back. Again - limited experience here - but we did find eating out etc. even more expensive than we expected (when went for a "proper" meal).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy