Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech vs Oberlech in Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Finally decide to splash out this coming season and planning a family trip to either Lech or Oberlech in mid December. (Not sure how many more family ski trips left!)

Trying to decide between Lech or Oberlech. My understanding is that Oberlech would be ski-in ski-out but Lech has also got many hotels that are only short walks to ski lifts? Any advise as to how to choose would be very much appreciated.

Any tips to keep costs reasonable would also be appreciated. Have always wanted to go but put off by how expensive Lech is (or so I was told!).

Thank you very much in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are right: In Oberlech all hotels are ski-in/out, in Lech quite a few are too, and many are within walking distance to the lifts.
With in fact at some Oberlech hotels people need to ski down to Lech to get the easiest first lift in the morning. Lech (1450 m) and Oberlech (1650 m) are not that far apart. They are connected by the Oberlech-cablecar, which runs until 01.00 am. With a great toboggan-run underneath it.
Staying in Lech has the advantage of an easier afternoon (shopping) stroll, and more choice of restaurants available for dinner.
Pricewise there is no real difference, although the real top 5***** hotels are all in Lech.
Self catering apartments are best way to keep costs down, alternatively a privately owned B&B might work. Some reasonable priced, well located hotels*** for halfboard: Alpenfluh, Formarin, Fritz
You can also check this website with small B&B'S in Lech: http://www.erholungstankstelle-lech.at/houses/

For mid-december I would wait until last minute with booking. Plenty availability, and snow is always tricky in december, even in Lech/Oberlech.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say that the answer for you depends on what type of skiing you are after. Oberlech allows immediate access to the slope but doesn't give you as many options as starting in town where you can immediately access either side of the valley or hop a bus to Zurs to connect via lift to Stuben, St. Anton and beyond. Ski in/out is quite attractive and it allows people to easily return to the hotel during the day or quit early if they're tired or the weather craps out. There are more lodging options at different price points in Lech than Oberlech. Both are great choices assuming that mid-December skiing offers plenty of open terrain..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowy123, We go to Lech one week a season and I refuse to pay the daft money that many of the larger 4-5* hotels charge, we go 3* b@b Pension, book direct in Lech and its great. The skiing is fantastic, you're early there so i'd tend to hold 3-4 weeks yet before booking but its cooling down significantly next week - have a look on Bookings.com and find a free cancellation place, fly via ZHR with Swiss and do a train transfer www.oebb.at, its very easy. Worst case you can then go somewhere else last thing if necessary, say high up like Zermatt, mid December there'll be loads of choice. Trains are cheap if booked well in advance. Ive got a couple of suggestions re places to stay if you want to PM me - in Lech, and one in Oberlech that I can't/ won't afford wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not much to choose between Lech and Oberlech for piste access as it takes 5 - 10 mins to get between the two.

BUT most Oberlech hotels have magnificent terraces for that essential mid morning / mid afternoon drinks break.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have not stayed in Lech but managed Oberlech twice - still go down as our best ever ski holidays. Stayed at the Montana but in fairness pretty much every hotel in the area will be excellent
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, thanks for all your comments so far. It looks like I need to study the ski map to work out whether we prefer ski-in/ski-out or Lech with more choices in the mornings. Also need to do some homework on hotels.

@Langerzug, thanks for the link for B&Bs. Will check it out.

@Markymark29, thanks for the advice. Have already booked flights to Innsbruck. Just doing my homework now so that I can book as soon as I know where the snow falls. Will PM you and would really appreciate hotel recommendations.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, I think I have PM you but not so sure if I did it correctly. Just show how useless I am with technology Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oberlech is higher up the hill.

Munich snobs go there on the weekend to sneer at the poor people down in Lech.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your already thinking about the costs do not even think about Lech or Oberlech...

Your be starting your vacation stressed & when your there you should not even think about money just chilling out!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lot of usual Lech-drama by @Whitegold, @stanton. Typical....
People who really know Lech a bit, also know that there still is a lot of surprisingly reasonable accommodation available and that the overall atmosphere in Lech is much more sporty instead of bling-bling, especially compared to other resorts like St.Moritz or Courchevel.
And that f&b on piste is still very reasonable too, and the skipass actually on the cheap side considering what's on offer....
And driving Munich-Lech actually is very unpractical for a short weekend...they go to Kitzbühl instead.
@Snowy123 If you can share your budget I can quickly give you a list of best located ski in/out acco in Lech (we are staying in a very reasonable one ourselves for some 10 years now Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowy123, PM'd you back.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would agree - if cost is an issue then I wouldn't be going to Lech. There's far nicer places where your money will go a lot further. I'd also be really cautious about going so early in the season - I had a few terrible winters there and that was later (3rd and last week of December) so I wouldn't be booking 2nd week in December unless I knew there was snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to add to that - if you do decide to splash out, the Zürserhof in Zürs is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. It's a great place for Christmas (or Easter)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, thank you for your comments. I am just doing my research to shortlist a few hotels, ideally around €2kish to €3k for 3 people (2 adults and a teenager Half Board). Hubby obviously will think the cheaper the better Laughing I did have a quick look at the Lech website and for my dates, it was coming up from just under €2k to over €60k! Thank you in advance for any hotel recommendations!
snow report
@moseyp, thanks for your comments. Yes, I am aware of the potential snow problems as we have also been skiing in December in the last few years. Unfortunately it's the only week we can do this year as my son has other sports/school commitments during other holidays and we have to be back home to spend Xmas with family. And that's why I have only booked the flights into Innsbruck....but doing my homework now so that if the snow does come (fingers crossed, like last December), I can book immediately. Thanks for the Zurs recommendation, will check it out too.
snow report
Have a look at the Hubertushof in Stuben. Excellent hotel and piste side. Food is excellent and better value than Lech/Oberlech
snow report
@Snowy123, snow starting next week....check out the webcams Thursday/ Friday. It’s getting cold too so there should be a good base. Much of Lech skiing is on grassy slopes so it doesn’t need much snow depth to get the pistes ready once it comes....and it will!
snow report
@Snowy123, I've never stayed in Oberlech, but we stay in Lech for a week most years. I've always stayed at the Fernsicht - http://www.fernsicht-lech.at/en which is a lovely little place. The owner, Marion, speaks excellent English and is always friendly and welcoming. It's only 3 stars but as far as I can tell that means you get no choices at dinner, otherwise it's as good as any 4 star I've been in. The dinner is always excellent and you see the evening's menu at breakfast time so if you don't like what the set meal is they'll happily give you an alternative.

The Fernsicht isn't ski-in but it is ski-out. From the exit of the boot room you can schuss down a little slope at the back of the hotel and across some flat ground to a lift. On the way back it's a five minute walk from the nearest piste, maybe 10 minutes from the middle of town.

Whatever hotel you choose in Lech, I'd suggest phoning/emailing them direct rather than booking via an online booking form. Even when the booking system appears to be part of the hotel website it's usually a 3rd party system and it costs them a little in commission. You'll often get a better deal if you book direct!

Skied Lech the week before Christmas last year and it was so good we booked again for the same week this year. The resort was very quiet, no queues at the lifts and lots of empty pistes. At that time of year it gets dark early so there's not much apres, but it was still a lovely place for a gently stroll into town for a beer before dinner.

This photo was taken at about 2pm on one of the pistes in Warth. That empty chairlift was running, me and my wife were the only people using it!

ski holidays
boabski wrote:
Have a look at the Hubertushof in Stuben. Excellent hotel and piste side. Food is excellent and better value than Lech/Oberlech

No doubt it is, but staying in Stüben will be a completely different experience to Lech/Oberlech. Stüben is much smaller and quieter than Lech. Depends what you like/want.
snow conditions
@Snowy123
If the snow is good then Lech should be a great base, plenty of perfectly groomed pistes on your doorstep and some great easily accessible itineraries and side of the lift off piste if there is fresh snow. I'd opt for Lech but thats a personal opinion, either way you'll have a great time. Enjoy
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, agreed but if budget was an issue the Hubertushof is an excellent place to stay
ski holidays
Snowy123 wrote:
... looks like I need to study the ski map to work out whether we prefer ski-in/ski-out or Lech with more choices in the mornings...

It's a while since I was last there, but I recall it's just a 5 minute ski down from Oberlech to Lech, so you still have the same early morning choices if you are staying in Oberlech - you just need to get up 5 minutes earlier
latest report
DCG wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:
... looks like I need to study the ski map to work out whether we prefer ski-in/ski-out or Lech with more choices in the mornings...

It's a while since I was last there, but I recall it's just a 5 minute ski down from Oberlech to Lech, so you still have the same early morning choices if you are staying in Oberlech - you just need to get up 5 minutes earlier

It would not be even a 5 min ski for an average skier.

It also depends on where you want to ski for the morning. If it is Lech, or even Warth / Schröcken, then no need to go down to the Lech township in most cases, ie it is possible to ski directly to the Petersböden lift from most places in Oberlech. You will over the back quicker than if you started on the bottom lifts in Lech.
snow report
@ulmerhutte,
You are a bit too generous with your umlauts. It is just Petersboden, and Stuben!
But it IS Ulmerhütte Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

And about Petersbodenbahn: No, for many hotels it is not that easy to get there first thing in the morning. Quite a walk uphill for hotels like Sonnenburg, Montana, Petersboden, Cresta, and quite a few more. For guests staying there, skiing down to Lech is easier.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, I have been told I am generous! Toofy Grin (I stand corrected. I have been spelling them that way for years, believing there is an "e" involved. You are the first to educate me!)

Yeah, you are right about those hotels that are below the load of the Petersbodenbahn. There are however plenty above the load. Regardless, I cannot think of where it would take 5 mins to ski down to Lech from Oberlech, unless you were a complete beginner.
snow report
@Valkyrie, thanks. Will check out Fernsicht. Thanks for email hotel tip. You are absolutely right, one of the hotels I emailed is offering huge discount for my son for the pre-Christmas week! Loved the photo of Wrath! That's the type of skiing we like! Have you booked already? We have booked flights only. Checking snow forecast every day! Desperate to book but too worried there won't be enough snow!
ski holidays
@boabski, Hubertushof looks really nice but it looks like they are not offering anything pre-Christmas. Will be on my list to try in the future! Thanks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DCG, @ulmerhutte, @Langerzug, thanks for the explanations re skiing down to Lech vs Petersboden lift etc. Making more sense now. Discussed with hubby and we decided we are likely to stay in Lech this year. And we will check out the locations of the Oberlech hotels (perhaps through lunches on their sun terrace?) and then try out Oberlech another year. Thanks!
snow report
Snowy123 No one seems to have mentioned the UK ski TO's that have hotels in Lech. If cost is a factor for you they do represent excellent value. Ski Total have 2. The Montfort under the Rufi cable car and the Elizabeth a few and I do mean just a few minutes away from the centre. VIP Ski have the Theodul almost opposite the Elizabeth. These 'chalet hotels', offering half board and inclusive wine with evening meals as well as good breakfast options & afternoon tea are well worth a look. Oberlech is likely to be ski in/out but you are restricted for evening events up there. The village offers far more. If you have never been I would recommend staying in the village first.
snow report
@Snowy123, I stayed with all my children and grandchildren last Easter half term at the Hotel Anemone in Lech - cannot recommend it highly enough - very good value, good food and you can ski in/out, plus free underground garage for your car if required.
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, thanks for the suggestions! you are right, the Elizabeth is offering a good deal. Unfortunately I have booked flights already so will bear Ski Total in mind for future trips!
latest report
@skilegs, thanks. Will check out Hotel Anemone.
snow report
Snowy123-Not sure how much you shelled out for your flights but the Elizabeth might still represent a good deal and Total will deduct the princely sum of 50GBP PP if you don'ttake their flight.
ski holidays
@Snowy123,
Never been to the Anemone, but it is very close to our B&B. Slight warning: whilst its position is about as good as you can get, the Anemone is one of few Lech hotels that has online availability throughout the season, which is rather suspicious. Rumour has it that the owners are not very friendly...

Some other names to check: Bellevue, Omesberg, Formarin, Grisseman, Fritz, Alpenfluh
Do not hesitate to get in touch directly with hotels. Some of the most beloved hotels don't bother to keep their long term online presence up to date, but in december you should get rooms about everywhere.
snow report
@Langerzug, it is not open in the summer. Owners are very friendly. I returned last February with my children and grandchildren because they had made us so welcome the previous year. Would definitely return and Having worked in the alps for 18 years, am not easy to please!
latest report
@skilegs, I'm not talking about summer, I know they are closed then.
For Lech and for their position in Lech, Anemone's availability throughout winter season really is quite remarkable, in a not so good way. Their rating in e.g. booking.com is a bit lower than Lech's average. As mentioned, I don't know them from inside, but it appears that they are having less returning guests for some reason. Most direct neighbours (Madlochblick, Odo, Grisseman, Alpenfluh, Schranz etc.) are 95-99% fully booked in winter with returning guests. After all this is Lech's prime area, ski-in/out ánd close to centre
latest report
Sorry one more question which i have forgotten to ask. Apart from taxis, are there any shuttle transfer service to Lech (from Innsbruck airport) that is reliable? Something similar to the Harbersetter shuttle transfer at Salzburg airport?

Thanks.
snow report
@Snowy123, No, there are no organized combined transfers, only private transfers, at approx 175 euro one way. We always use https://www.taxi-airporttransfer-tirol.com
Alternatively bus to Innsbruck station, train to St.Anton, taxi to Lech.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, Thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy